1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Internet Web Browser Comparison

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pandawarrior, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    My Thoughts

Firefox

Pros:
    Is pretty fast
    You can adjust settings in ;config
    Good Community
    A hell of a lot of addons.

Cons:
    Is not very user friendly
    Cannot manage more than 15 tabs without lagging
    Some addons will glitch, which means "restart the browser, reinstall the addon!"

My score : 6/10

Internet Explorer

Pros:
    Comes built into a Windows computer.
    Very modifiable
    Can hold a lot of tabs

Cons:
    I Believe it only comes with a Windows computer(correct me if I am wrong)
    Un-friendly user interface
    Oh soo many bars
    Not very fast

My score: 4/10

Google Chrome

Pros:
    Is fast
    Sleek design
    User friendly
    Can manage a lot of tabs
    Getting the feel of the ropes is easy.
    Can load Extensions (Thanks for the heads up Devic3)

Cons:
    Sometimes it can be a hassle and not load a web page :< , but refresh it :]

My score: 9/10 (I am writing it with Google Chrome.)

Armix8's thoughts:
    Google Chrome:
    [+] Looks and Feels so User Friendly and Pleaurable
    [+] Natively allows the intergration of Monkey Grease scripts, seemlessly.
    [-] Unfortunately some websites do not display properly, or have compatibility issues.
    e.g. some websites use scripts to confirm correct browser version (e.g. IE) because website is either under developed or not scripted to be forwards compatible. www.mathletics.com.au -is a good example as my younger sibling could not access the site in chrome but in IE it worked perfectly. (secrurity certificate).

Internet Explorer (Version 8)
    [+] As explained, above it displays webpages that have been scripted poorly/strangely.
    [+] Lots of compatible toolbars for IE (not that I use them. :) )
    [-] Greasemonkey plugins/scripts are nice but last time I checked they could only be used with either Chrome or Firefox Natively (IE requires some kind of plugin that enables all this).
    [-] Looks nowhere near as nice as other browsers like Chrome.
    [-] I'm rather sure they dropped theme support back around version 5 or 6. (important?)
    [?] It's alright I guess.

Firefox
    I haven't used it for a while but I semi-judge of memory ... :S
    [+] Advanced customization and theme support. (You can make it look like Safari...)
    [+] Internal Download Manager, feels (felt...) a tiny bit faster last try.
    [-] Long full name ... (Who am I kidding, what kinda critisim is that!?)
    [-] Doesn't feel friendly. A bit bulky.

HINDYhat's Opinion

Internet Explorer: No comments really need to be made. It's not an option.

Firefox: Incredible memory usage, starts off fine and turns into a mess. Also, rendering issues.

Chrome: Starts off fine, then spawns 100 processes. Incredible CPU usage.

Safari: Not entirely sure, it's terrible on Windows but I've heard it's really good on Macs.

Opera: Good CPU usage, good memory usage. I've had a few issues with select sites, but in terms of resource usage, Opera is by far the best in my experience.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    well i've been using FireFox for about a year now, main reason y im using it is because once u restart ur computer or something it saves your tabs, idk if this works with explorer or chrome.

but i also like how firefox's download thing (No idea what to call it), scans the stuff u download for viruses (also again idk if explorer or chrome does this)

3. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    Firefox I used to use. I just switched a minute ago to it to test it out again. I like the new version. It is faster :)

4. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    hahahaha :p i can't really rate explorer or chrome because i haven't used them in over a year, but i'll take the public opinion on how well they work

5. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you! I am very glad you have made opinions on my thread. And the good part is that they were all good opinions! Glad you are watching my contributions ;)

6. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    y of course, i think all the threads that you have posted are interesting, im glad your back :D

7. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you again! Like I said, glad to be back :3

8. Ironside

Ironside

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I actually don't agree, firefox and chrome at maximum have the same rating, if firefox isn't better. While internet explorer downfalls to both.

9. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you want, I can add your rating. :)

10. armix8

armix8

Resources:
    Resources:
    Google Chrome:
    [+] Looks and Feels so User Friendly and Pleaurable
    [+] Natively allows the intergration of Monkey Grease scripts, seemlessly.
    [-] Unfortunately some websites do not display properly, or have compatibility issues.
    e.g. some websites use scripts to confirm correct browser version (e.g. IE) because website is either under developed or not scripted to be forwards compatible. www.mathletics.com.au -is a good example as my younger sibling could not access the site in chrome but in IE it worked perfectly. (secrurity certificate).

Internet Explorer (Version 8)
    [+] As explained, above it displays webpages that have been scripted poorly/strangely.
    [+] Lots of compatible toolbars for IE (not that I use them. :) )
    [-] Greasemonkey plugins/scripts are nice but last time I checked they could only be used with either Chrome or Firefox Natively (IE requires some kind of plugin that enables all this).
    [-] Looks nowhere near as nice as other browsers like Chrome.
    [-] I'm rather sure they dropped theme support back around version 5 or 6. (important?)
    [?] It's alright I guess.

Firefox
    I haven't used it for a while but I semi-judge of memory ... :S
    [+] Advanced customization and theme support. (You can make it look like Safari...)
    [+] Internal Download Manager, feels (felt...) a tiny bit faster last try.
    [-] Long full name ... (Who am I kidding, what kinda critisim is that!?)
    [-] Doesn't feel friendly. I bit bulky.

Safari, that Apple browser...
    [+] Shiny?
    [-] Apple
    [?] No

There's my thoughts.

11. HQCosTheta

HQCosTheta

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I prefer Firefox as it has more options but Chrome is really, really fast. Internet Explorer is craaaaaaap. Opera was cool 9 years ago, I have never used Netscape that much but it's better than IE, Safari can get messy handling table displays.

12. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I use Firefox, I dont understand what you mean about bulky and non-user friendly. Its simple and easy to use plus its been known to be safer.
    Chrome is fast, but its hard to find how to set options and crap.
    Internet Explorer, It is slow, and is has many security holes. And those holes have been exploited many times.

My vote goes for firefox.

13. MortAr

MortAr

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Safari:
    - Shiny? What?
    - Apple. What do you mean?
    - No?

You don't like Safari? You should die then.

14. FibSaSk

FibSaSk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can`t even believe people find the mainstream internet browsers having not friendly GUIs.

BTW pandawarrior made like 5 high quality threads with a time difference of less than 2 mins from each other.

15. Icedrake

Icedrake

Resources:
    Resources:
    Rofl, I wonder if you've actually run any tests on any of those browsers. Trust me, Chrome is a bloated piece of crap. I've installed most major browsers on my computer (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE, and Maxthon), and the best ones are Opera and Firefox. Chrome is bloated as hell, and it uses up hundreds and hundreds of mbs of disk space, whereas all of the others don't even use a hundred. Firefox is also much more customizable than Chrome will ever be, a Chrome theme doesn't even change half the interface! Maxthon is okay, it's not blazing fast, and it's not too slow either. Opera is just as good as Firefox. Why? It may not be as customizable, but its just as fast, and has just as many features as Firefox already built into it. It's also much faster than Chrome.

16. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I did make all of those threads. I had brought them from another forum I was on called D3scene. My user name is "Oh my god" and those are all threads I have posted on that forum

And yes, I have run tests on those browsers besides Safari.

17. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really... Who'd want a theme for a browser and what for?
    It's all just bullshit. Why not tape something over your screen to make it look pretty?

18. armix8

armix8

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was just joking there buddy. :D
    It not really solid review.

19. Icedrake

Icedrake

Resources:
    Resources:
    And what tests would those be?

20. Pandawarrior

Pandawarrior

Resources:
    Resources:

Those tests would be the ease of use, ability to load extensions, the ease of loading extensions, customizability, loading speed, and the ability to modify the core.