• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Internet Web Browser Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
My Thoughts

Firefox

Pros:
Is pretty fast
You can adjust settings in ;config
Good Community
A hell of a lot of addons.

Cons:
Is not very user friendly
Cannot manage more than 15 tabs without lagging
Some addons will glitch, which means "restart the browser, reinstall the addon!"

My score : 6/10

Internet Explorer

Pros:
Comes built into a Windows computer.
Very modifiable
Can hold a lot of tabs

Cons:
I Believe it only comes with a Windows computer(correct me if I am wrong)
Un-friendly user interface
Oh soo many bars
Not very fast

My score: 4/10

Google Chrome

Pros:
Is fast
Sleek design
User friendly
Can manage a lot of tabs
Getting the feel of the ropes is easy.
Can load Extensions (Thanks for the heads up Devic3)

Cons:
Sometimes it can be a hassle and not load a web page :< , but refresh it :]

My score: 9/10 (I am writing it with Google Chrome.)

Armix8's thoughts:
Google Chrome:
[+] Looks and Feels so User Friendly and Pleaurable
[+] Natively allows the intergration of Monkey Grease scripts, seemlessly.
[-] Unfortunately some websites do not display properly, or have compatibility issues.
e.g. some websites use scripts to confirm correct browser version (e.g. IE) because website is either under developed or not scripted to be forwards compatible. www.mathletics.com.au -is a good example as my younger sibling could not access the site in chrome but in IE it worked perfectly. (secrurity certificate).

Internet Explorer (Version 8)
[+] As explained, above it displays webpages that have been scripted poorly/strangely.
[+] Lots of compatible toolbars for IE (not that I use them. :) )
[-] Greasemonkey plugins/scripts are nice but last time I checked they could only be used with either Chrome or Firefox Natively (IE requires some kind of plugin that enables all this).
[-] Looks nowhere near as nice as other browsers like Chrome.
[-] I'm rather sure they dropped theme support back around version 5 or 6. (important?)
[?] It's alright I guess.

Firefox
I haven't used it for a while but I semi-judge of memory ... :S
[+] Advanced customization and theme support. (You can make it look like Safari...)
[+] Internal Download Manager, feels (felt...) a tiny bit faster last try.
[-] Long full name ... (Who am I kidding, what kinda critisim is that!?)
[-] Doesn't feel friendly. A bit bulky.

HINDYhat's Opinion

Internet Explorer: No comments really need to be made. It's not an option.

Firefox: Incredible memory usage, starts off fine and turns into a mess. Also, rendering issues.

Chrome: Starts off fine, then spawns 100 processes. Incredible CPU usage.

Safari: Not entirely sure, it's terrible on Windows but I've heard it's really good on Macs.

Opera: Good CPU usage, good memory usage. I've had a few issues with select sites, but in terms of resource usage, Opera is by far the best in my experience.

Last edited:
Level 11
well i've been using FireFox for about a year now, main reason y im using it is because once u restart ur computer or something it saves your tabs, idk if this works with explorer or chrome.

but i also like how firefox's download thing (No idea what to call it), scans the stuff u download for viruses (also again idk if explorer or chrome does this)

Level 11
hahahaha :p i can't really rate explorer or chrome because i haven't used them in over a year, but i'll take the public opinion on how well they work

Level 4
Google Chrome:
[+] Looks and Feels so User Friendly and Pleaurable
[+] Natively allows the intergration of Monkey Grease scripts, seemlessly.
[-] Unfortunately some websites do not display properly, or have compatibility issues.
e.g. some websites use scripts to confirm correct browser version (e.g. IE) because website is either under developed or not scripted to be forwards compatible. www.mathletics.com.au -is a good example as my younger sibling could not access the site in chrome but in IE it worked perfectly. (secrurity certificate).

Internet Explorer (Version 8)
[+] As explained, above it displays webpages that have been scripted poorly/strangely.
[+] Lots of compatible toolbars for IE (not that I use them. :) )
[-] Greasemonkey plugins/scripts are nice but last time I checked they could only be used with either Chrome or Firefox Natively (IE requires some kind of plugin that enables all this).
[-] Looks nowhere near as nice as other browsers like Chrome.
[-] I'm rather sure they dropped theme support back around version 5 or 6. (important?)
[?] It's alright I guess.

Firefox
I haven't used it for a while but I semi-judge of memory ... :S
[+] Advanced customization and theme support. (You can make it look like Safari...)
[+] Internal Download Manager, feels (felt...) a tiny bit faster last try.
[-] Long full name ... (Who am I kidding, what kinda critisim is that!?)
[-] Doesn't feel friendly. I bit bulky.

Safari, that Apple browser...
[+] Shiny?
[-] Apple
[?] No

There's my thoughts.

Level 6
I prefer Firefox as it has more options but Chrome is really, really fast. Internet Explorer is craaaaaaap. Opera was cool 9 years ago, I have never used Netscape that much but it's better than IE, Safari can get messy handling table displays.

Level 14
I use Firefox, I dont understand what you mean about bulky and non-user friendly. Its simple and easy to use plus its been known to be safer.
Chrome is fast, but its hard to find how to set options and crap.
Internet Explorer, It is slow, and is has many security holes. And those holes have been exploited many times.

My vote goes for firefox.

Level 7
Rofl, I wonder if you've actually run any tests on any of those browsers. Trust me, Chrome is a bloated piece of crap. I've installed most major browsers on my computer (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE, and Maxthon), and the best ones are Opera and Firefox. Chrome is bloated as hell, and it uses up hundreds and hundreds of mbs of disk space, whereas all of the others don't even use a hundred. Firefox is also much more customizable than Chrome will ever be, a Chrome theme doesn't even change half the interface! Maxthon is okay, it's not blazing fast, and it's not too slow either. Opera is just as good as Firefox. Why? It may not be as customizable, but its just as fast, and has just as many features as Firefox already built into it. It's also much faster than Chrome.

Level 7
Yes, I did make all of those threads. I had brought them from another forum I was on called D3scene. My user name is "Oh my god" and those are all threads I have posted on that forum

And yes, I have run tests on those browsers besides Safari.

And what tests would those be?

Level 7
Those tests would be the ease of use, ability to load extensions, the ease of loading extensions, customizability, loading speed, and the ability to modify the core.

Have you done any actual browser speed tests and rendering tests? None of those are rendering or speed tests, which are by far the most important ones.

Level 20
Internet Explorer: No comments really need to be made. It's not an option.

Firefox: Incredible memory usage, starts off fine and turns into a mess. Also, rendering issues.

Chrome: Starts off fine, then spawns 100 processes. Incredible CPU usage.

Safari: Not entirely sure, it's terrible on Windows but I've heard it's really good on Macs.

Opera: Good CPU usage, good memory usage. I've had a few issues with select sites, but in terms of resource usage, Opera is by far the best in my experience.

EDIT: I've also tried a few Linux browsers, but the difference among those that I've tried is usually in design and concept. uzbl is cool. Midori is really unstable, last I tried. Nothing special about Epiphany. Dillo is hilarious. A friend of mine really likes Conkeror (not Konqueror). Also, Lynx is the best internet browser ever.

Level 11
Could u possibly identify these problems? just curious cause im using firefox right now :p

Never heard of this one b4 but i guess ill take a look into it from the way u describe it... i just hope it will save my tabs when i restart my computer :p

Level 15
Note my post you quoted : Customizability, Speed on loading web pages

Speed on loading web pages isn't necessarily dependent on the browser. I get faster load speeds on IE than any of the others and supposedly IE is "bad".
As for customizability, they are all customizable relatively easily (I'm speaking IE, Chrome, and Mozilla), otherwise no one would use them.

Anyway, the bottom line is that it's a fucking browser. They're all the same thing essentially. If you like one more than the other but still have problems, go make your own mod for it.

for the record, I find that IE has a much better product-support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.