• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SCII Modding didn't take off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Did SCII Modding not take off?

I've actually been disconnected / too busy to come online
for these past 2 months so the first thing i did when i had time is come and see what maps people had cooked up ^_^. Suprisingly, i only found a few mods (4 - 9) on Unconfessional Design and that was about it. Civ V came out a few days ago and it already has more mods then SCII :(

So, is it just that i don't know where to look or did something happen?

Modding in sc2 isn't actually changing the system in sc2, but in fact, it can be done just like the sc2 campaign in the editor. Everything is internalized, giving mods a different meaning, I have found many things where people dare not tread, deep within the data editor, and I will reveal anything you ask me about, there are many things that allow real modding to be possible within the editor. Especially the concept of external data dependancies, effectively labeled mods. I hope this answered more questions than it asked. Thank you.

Level 28
I think map publishing system and map size restrictions disallow high quality total conversions. People either make big changes on a small project or many small changes on bigger projects. I'm not sure that we'll see something like Counter-Strike was for Half-Life in the near future for SC2.

Despite that, some of that stuff currently showcased is really amazing. Just dive through the news archive of www.sc2mapster.com and look for any kind of videos.

Level 9
I'm not touching the map editor until I can do stuff without pain and frustration.

Meaning, Moonlite has to get its bugs fixed so I can code with Andromeda properly. After that, I'll produce something, anyways.

Level 14
The Reason why it didn't take off is because it is more advanced and lets say less noob friendly, it can make more advanced map yes, but its hard to make the basic things like just placing random units around the map and testing and going woo battles, instead you have to remove some of the triggers and edit some stuff.
Many people who modded War3 (Im talking about the noobs not the high professional people) probally thought that the SC2 Editor would be as basic and simple as the War3 Editor, trust me it isnt...
There are alot more features to it, but there are things that just 'annoy' you, like when ever im putting down units and i switch to a different player it doesn't automatically switch the race so not i only have to switch the play i have to switch the race, and this can take alot of time especially when your trying to get balance.
So ya, SC2 Modding is alot different to War3/

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Modding in sc2 isn't actually changing the system in sc2, but in fact, it can be done just like the sc2 campaign in the editor. Everything is internalized, giving mods a different meaning, I have found many things where people dare not tread, deep within the data editor, and I will reveal anything you ask me about, there are many things that allow real modding to be possible within the editor. Especially the concept of external data dependancies, effectively labeled mods. I hope this answered more questions than it asked. Thank you.

I know SCII can't be modded while Civ V practicly HAS to be modded. I simply refered SCII Maps as Mods, sorry for the mix-up. Thanks for the answer though :).

I think map publishing system and map size restrictions disallow high quality total conversions. People either make big changes on a small project or many small changes on bigger projects. I'm not sure that we'll see something like Counter-Strike was for Half-Life in the near future for SC2.

Despite that, some of that stuff currently showcased is really amazing. Just dive through the news archive of www.sc2mapster.com and look for any kind of videos.

Again, terribly sorry for the mix-up T_T. Ty for the link!

I'm not touching the map editor until I can do stuff without pain and frustration.

Meaning, Moonlite has to get its bugs fixed so I can code with Andromeda properly. After that, I'll produce something, anyways.
xD

The Reason why it didn't take off is because it is more advanced and lets say less noob friendly, it can make more advanced map yes, but its hard to make the basic things like just placing random units around the map and testing and going woo battles, instead you have to remove some of the triggers and edit some stuff.
Many people who modded War3 (Im talking about the noobs not the high professional people) probally thought that the SC2 Editor would be as basic and simple as the War3 Editor, trust me it isnt...
There are alot more features to it, but there are things that just 'annoy' you, like when ever im putting down units and i switch to a different player it doesn't automatically switch the race so not i only have to switch the play i have to switch the race, and this can take alot of time especially when your trying to get balance.
So ya, SC2 Modding is alot different to War3/

Mmm, too complicated eh. Makes sense, thanks for the answer =D

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Lol, that's just sad. Unreal Development Kit set back my modding ego by a good 36 months. T_T

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

I know, my point was. There's almost more Civ V Tc's then ScII Maps alltogether

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Honestly do yourself the favour and head over to SC2mapster or get maps off Nibbits. You can't just stick around a War3 legacy mapping site that has little-to-no SC2 maps, see that there's no content, and make the assumption that SC2 modding/mapping is dead.

Maps take time to make, and the community is still growing. The Blizzard Mapping contest was just finished and a lot of people were in hush-hush mode secretly working on their submissions. Once Blizzard crowns a winner, everyone will be able to release their maps online and talk about them.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

I HIGHLY doubt that. And I'm not just looking on Hive. I've checked MANY. So do yourself a favour and don't just assume I've looked here and assumed this. ^_^

Level 11
It takes time for the modding community to grow, we didn't see all our fav maps in wc3 done in 2002, same goes for tools, editors, resources. The game is relatively new and it will take a few years to get some awesome maps.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

True Enough. God dude you've gone so low...your sig -facepalm-

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
I HIGHLY doubt that. And I'm not just looking on Hive. I've checked MANY. So do yourself a favour and don't just assume I've looked here and assumed this. ^_^

"So, is it just that i don't know where to look or did something happen?"

You did say this, correct?

"I've actually been disconnected / too busy to come online for these past 2 months"

And that as well?

Do you somehow think I would automatically assume after you being gone for 2 months and asking if you don't know where to look, that somehow you've checked out MANY sites?. Perhaps when you say you're looking for some new maps I should not assume that you're talking about Starcraft 2 too? -_-

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

xD. Sorry, i tend to be confusing. It can help sometimes.Thanks for the help and effort though =)

Status
Not open for further replies.