• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Scaling Summons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I'm working on a new RPG and one of the classes (Necromancer) will be able to summon necro-like stuff such as skeletons, golems... you know what all that is lol.

But anyway is there any possible way to make the summons scale with how powerful the user is? Such as having life and damage and such based off the necromancer's stats. +Rep if anyone can give me a hand with this :D

Edit: Sorry bout the prefix, I'm posting from work and had to rush to help a customer and didn't see the announcement till afterward >_< if a mod wants to delete this so I can repost without it I will (Let me know first though please :p)

Level 2
Catch the summon spell?

I tried playing with a Bloodlust buff in an aura, but that did not work so well.

You could write a trigger that caught a summon spell, and then immediately followed by targeting the summoned unit with a level of a modified Bloodlust based on the caster's level.

Bloodlust naturally can scale the size of the effected unit, and you could have the length of your Bloodlust spells outlast the timed life of your summons (if they are timed, that is).

It'd be easy enough to make a bunch of different levels of Bloodlust with different scaling values.

Edit: HA! I read "scaling" and I thought of the size of the unit.

Can't you just modify the Animal War Training, Iron Forged Swords, etc upgrades, and then trigger their research on levelup of your necro? If you wanted damage/life/armor scaling based on the attributes (str/dex/int) of the Necro, then I would be unsure of how to approach that.

Last edited:
Level 11
No upgrades wouldn't be the answer. What I want is this.

Example

* Necromancer casts "Raise Dead"
* 3 Skeletons with a lets say, 100 base life and 10 base damage are raised.
* Each Skeleton then recieves bonus life equal to 50% of the Necromancer's Strength, and bonus damage equal to 50% of the Necromancer's Intelligence

Thats also just an example, in my map those numbers wouldn't be accurate.

Level 2
Ahhhhhh... I get it now. Neat idea, but I am far too amateurish to help with that. Good luck.

Edit: By the way, I really like this idea. One of the flaws of many maps out there (especially the ones which involve tomes) is how in the long run, a summoners summons don't pick up bonuses based on the enhanced attributes of the caster. If there is an elegant way of solving this problem, I think it would help the community a good deal.

Last edited:
Level 11
Ahhhhhh... I get it now. Neat idea, but I am far too amateurish to help with that. Good luck.

Edit: By the way, I really like this idea. One of the flaws of many maps out there (especially the ones which involve tomes) is how in the long run, a summoners summons don't pick up bonuses based on the enhanced attributes of the caster. If there is an elegant way of solving this problem, I think it would help the community a good deal.

Yes it would, I've gotten an idea of how to do it using GUI and exploiting the bug of item abilities that add life/mana but there is more than likely a much simpler way of doing this in JASS that hopefully won't be to complicated, Just need to find it.

Level 2
If you make the summon a hero (and maybe you don't want to do that) you could do easily set his str/agi/int with gui triggers. On death you'd have to remove the unit so that there wouldn't be an icon on the left side of the screen.

Another option is to use (and idk if you can do this in GUI) SetUnitState function. Here is the syntax:
(unit, unit_state, real) are the parameters in order.
call SetUnitState(necro_summon, UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE, value)

similarly to set a unit's max mana change UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE to UNIT_STATE_MAX_MANA

For damage I would place a multi-level ability like command aura or trueshot aura on the summon that would only target itself. You could hide the icon via a spellbook or come up with something clever to put in the tooltips (maybe some lore since it's an rpg). I'd do the same thing with armor (devotion aura) and attack speed (endurance aura).

In some ways it would be easier to make the summoned unit a hero but you would have more control for balancing with the second method. Hope this was helpful and easy to undertsand.

Last edited:
Level 4
You COULD Make an aura that only targets the summons, I'm not sure if that would work, But if you could get a summon specific aura that maybe gives health and damage boosts, as well as leveling automatically with the hero. You could make a trigger that automatically levels it up with every Hero level, It would Take up an ability slot though, And it may target your allies Skeletons too.. It could work though, Making it only player owned units.

Level 3
It doesn't have to take a ability slot, just put it at 1,1 so that its beneath a different button.

And this is just out of my head, but can't you disable the icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.