Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SC2 Pay to play

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by KaboomMaster, May 26, 2010.

1. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now I'm aware that this is a touchy subject so I feel the need to say that I'm not trolling and would appreciate if you all tried to be civil in this thread.

I am aware how Blizzard stated, "We will not charge a monthly fee for Starcraft 2 ever" but for anyone in the beta who has seen the latest patch may agree with me when I say I'm starting to doubt that. For anyone who hasn't seen there is a play time remaining message under the player profile in battle.net which blizzard stated has nothing to do with the beta and is a patch glich, however the fact that they have a profile play timer seems suspiciously like MMO pay-per-month online usage. Normally I wouldn't suspect Blizzard of this but ever since WoW and their acquisition by Activision I don't trust them as a company any more, so my question is what is your opinion?

2. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think it will come to paying for it also, has anyone else gotten the "Play Time has been added to your account, Enjoy!" message?

Gives me a bad feeling.

3. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    No i have not received that message, where do you 2 live?

4. Zergleb

Zergleb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've gotten that message, but this close to the release they can't just all of a sudden spring that on people.

5. Hiruty

Hiruty

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well they can but not tell us until we buy it D: and if they do. OMFG
    SWEARING IS IN HERE :3
    F
    U
    C
    K

Y
    O
    U

B
    L
    I
    Z
    Z
    A
    R
    D

6. Doctor-Pepper

Doctor-Pepper

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem with that is that it will divide the user database by 3. Would be a shame.
    In this case, i dont think they ment it this way. Blizzard is an awesome company, where quality meets the expectation. I trust them to do the right thing. They gave me no reason to doubt anything they did so far

7. bboy-tiger-

bboy-tiger-

Resources:
    Resources:
    If they do that wont buy it. They shouldnt do that hm. Tho people will still pay for it and that will mean that its ok. And that people support them.

This kind of thing gives some motive to pirates to do bad things.

8. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not pay to play blizzard specially said it. The playtime is just something they are testing for the Russian server that will have such thing. No other will have a WoW subscription..

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  9. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Nazies! This actually mean I can't get a Russian version altrough those are much cheapper... are you sure the function like this will exist? If yes, I' sure nobody will buy it, Russians hate monthly sbsciptions and prbably gonna write a petition or something.

10. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It has been posted I think on Russian forums that it will be subscription just for Rus so that those that cant afford the game to pay low price for subscription. It will have a function to be able to upgrade your subscription to full game so that you can play vs rest EU instead of Rus server with subscriptions.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24261056580&sid=5016&pageNo=9

11. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    ah so its a 'rent to own' kinda setup.. hmm, i always figured that time remaining was just the time till they cut the beta off XD

12. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, so that's what! Russian games are allways much cheaper that in other parts of Europe, so Blliard actually agreed to make it cheaper, but Russians won't be able to play multiplayer without subscibtions or upgrades to European version!
    Well, seems I should better buy the overpriced European one then...

13. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I saw the rent to own thread yesterday on the battle.net and originally was thinking that was the reason for the game time extension, however after thinking about it I'm still stumped by the "play as guest" button on the main screen that's disabled for beta. I can't think of any situation that would need a play as guest feature except for a pay-to-play trial account.

14. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alternatively you want to play offline/singleplayer but can't get on b.net/can't log on due to your internet being down, thus playing as a guest.

15. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is that what its for? They should really change the button label then. Also how would you access campaign if its linked to your profile and you're using a guest account?

16. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The point is that usually this stuff would be stored online, so effectively if you wanted to play singleplayer offline you wouldn't be able to access any of this stuff.

I imagine its mostly for playing against AI and stuff, because you wouldn't be able to continue the campaign you were playing on your online profile.

17. killer1390

killer1390

Resources:
    Resources:
    I highly doubt that they would go against there word when they said they would not have a monthly payment.

It could be absolutely anything, for example maybe there is a demo period for paid maps?(Just on the top of my mind).

18. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can trust them all you want, with the state of the game and the crap that they are trying to feed the community, I really wouldn't doubt anything.

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It makes no sense for a pay to play RTS. Doing that would kill 99% of their market.

In WoW, you have a social time walking with people, meeting people and all your actions are run on your servers. In SC2 their servers purly are redirect and syncronization hosts with no actual gameplay calculations being run. There is no justification for a pay to play in SC2 thus it would kill them.

However they will probably add premium accounts instead, for extreem fans of the game with unique icons, more features and enhanced space for mods and stuff.

What would also be nice is if they could get the community involved in hosting large file content. Eg a redirect to a fan site server where a large 100 MB mod or map could be downloaded so that they need not spend the resources hosting it. Each site could have their own selection option (with blizzard warning saying they do not run the server).

20. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if it were pay to play Blizzard wouldn't take measures like for Russia for those who can't afford it. I mean if they can't afford it now, they sure can't afford anything beyond.