• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc2 Editor Wishlist - Post your wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
i figure.. we the mappers know best what sc2 editor is missing... so here's how this works... you guys post any ideas, for specific improvements... (don't just say: this sux needs better.. give some ideas as to how), and ill update my list with those ideas (if multiple ideas achieve the same means, i may 'overwrite' the idea with whichever one i believe best fulfills the job on my master list..)

Doodads:

Terran(anything that looks potentially human)
destroyed
Structure (anything big, or combined models)
Props (anything small we can add anywhere to make our own structures with...
undestroyed
Structures
Props
Protoss (anything that looks like it could be protoss, this includes xel naga stuff...)
destroyed(runins n stuff)
structures
Props
Undestroyed
structures
Props
Zerg (this would be anything semi-organic that looks zerg like )
structures (anything large and squishy, probably any infested building models)
props (anything organicish that looks squish,

Misc
natural
animal/bones
plants
rocks/minerals
emitters
light
sight blockers(only really needs maybe 8 doodads)
No-see(Ground-directional): the dood will be an an editor only box, with arrow facing a specific angle), anything on the
No-See(ground):
No-see (Air-directional):
no-see(air):

UberSplats
Intelligent Design: (anything that looks like terrain or protoss could have made it)
Organic: anything made by zerg, plants, or blood ect, or otherwise naturally occurring

1. sticky movement option (doodads will only move in 8 directions, based on the current FACING of the selected doodad, thus allowing for easily aligning doodads on X/Y axis, Z axis align would be nice as-well, (maybe give 2 Z's global Z height, and terrain based Z height)
2. Ignore All placement Reqs (a mode/hot-key to force all doodads to ignore placement rules, including newly created)
3. Brighten, i see you still cant make a doodad lighter than its default.., maybe instead of setting 255,255,255 as the default, maybe 127 could be 'normal' color, making 255/0/0 pure red(the texture wouldn't show through at all)

4. give an 'options' button (beside the doodads model)when placing doodads of a type, when pressed a window with all possible variations(in checkbox's,and a random checked variation is selected each time a new doodad of that type is placed), default custom color, default facing (1-360 would default to face that way -1 would give random angle, default min random scale xyz, default max random scale, xyz, default height

5. We need more basic doodads, and less 'batch' doodads... its OK to see the same light post 20 times, but its not OK to see the same building 20 times...
(inserts list of needed basic doodads)

every doodad that is being used in the current map should be underlined or highlighted or something so you know its being used.. (probably same with units)

also its kinda easy to loose which doodad your on when placing (especially if u haven't narrowed the results with a search)

Terrain:
1. Texture Planes: flat 'planes' that are essentially 5 movable points, (the 4 corners and the center), the plane would then stretch to the position(if possible not stretching the texture to much) of all 5 points, they would also be able to use every ground/cliff texture, and if possible ANY texture, or piece of texture the user chooses
2. completely vertical terrain, i don't want no 85 degree angles, 89 might be acceptable
3. snap to doodad: if possible the ability to snap a piece of terrain to a particular part of a doodad (hold a certain key, click a specific part of the doodad, and the terrain below it matches its height, without raising the doodad itself (the nearest single square terrain unit),
4.sticky movement: same as for doodads, except locked at 0/45/90/ect
5. get rid of the spinny selection circle, replace with a solid line (or at-least put a solid line, with the spiny line over it...

allow for more cliff heights than 4...., we need at-least 8, and make them more uniform, except maybe the lowest, and the highest, which can be extreme, also decrease the distance of cliff height significantly (maybe 1/2-2/3 as tall as the default, to 1 level up height is)

Pathing:
the pathing editor is a start.. but its kinda annoying i think sticking to squares might be better than the triangles...., also the pathing shape that is going to be added should be displayed on mousover (maybe in a semi-clear hue)

also more pathing options:
no-fly: not just the current 'no fly zone' it should really be part of the regular pathing editor, and be mapable
no-ground: stops all ground based movement
no-build: stops the building or landing of structures on it..
no-drive: stops anything that has wheels from moving over it
Clear-Path: removes all pathing from a point (if used on cliffs, they become walkable.., if used on doodads it overwrites their pathing maps (not the maps of units/buildings however))
Climb-only: allows only units able to climb at-least 1 cliff level to pass over this terrain
Climb-only 2: allows only units who can climb 2 or more cliff levels to pass...
Slow-ground(-30%), slow-ground(-50%): Slows anything that is currently walking on ground by whatever %
drive-slow (-30%), drive-slow (-50%), Drive- fast (+40%): increases or decreases drive speed by whatever %, on anything that has wheels.
Extend-range(5%,10%,20%,30%,50%, 100%,): allows anyone on this pathing to have an attack, and sight range bonus against anyone on reduce-range pathing ONLY.
Reduce-range(0%.10%,50%,90%): reduces the range of anyone on it against units on extend range pathing, and reducing range, with the following formula: (oldrange/(1+(extendedrange%/100))*(1-(reducerange%/100))= new units range, but ONLY vs units on extend-range pathing.
also every one of these should be combinable if the person paints both over a the same point it would be affected by both..

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I also found it a little stupid not to include an air pathing system like the ground one, using those No Flying Zones is so annoying. Their «mass center» is hidden when you place them on the rock spires and there's no way to select it.

My wish is cross-mapping and/or much bigger map sizes.

Level 5
Would love to fix campaign dependency errors as well as an easier way to make Hero's

However do I seem to be the only person who actually like the trigger editor?
Also duplicating/editing units is fairly simple once you actually know what to do but until you run into mistakes and figure stuff out if can be frustrating

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Trigger editor like War3's.
Oh so you mean you want to make it slow and retarded with lots of leaks and usless GUI?

SC2's Trigger system is far superiour to WC3's with exception of the script size limit (which is not a problem for most situations).

Easy way to make to Heroes.
Easy Way to make units.
Yeh but making units and heroes is not easy. Yes they could do the retarded and nonsense WC3 way but that would greatly reduce the flexibility of the engine. Making heroes is extreemly difficult as you need to design what sort of hero you want (which was also even harder in WC3 as the game forced a certain type of hero). Units are prety easy if you remember to link all the actors (which makes sense if you have done any form of object orientated data course at university).

Fix Their Campaign Dependancy. Causes many errors.
Yeh. I do not know why they have not fixed the vast amount of broken links. They should have nulled all of them so that we do not get the odd missing file error when selecting data objects in the editor.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You'll find that these «raw» things are easy to comprehend once you start, for example, cloning units and trying to link upgrades and all that to that new unit. I created a new unit completely from scratch to become a Dragoon, and by linking it to upgrades, actors (I actually cloned the Stalker actor), and stuff, I have learned a few things. Upgrades are very easy to grasp once you take a look. I took no courses of oriented object data but I can see the logic of actors, and I can see a few positive aspects of using them.
But yeah, it does take ten times the time it took in Warcraft III.

Level 14
No Im not saying making the trigger editor slow and full of leaks.

I like double clicking on the action and editing the values like that.
And maybe if they make a button in the trigger editor where it creates variables inside of Cntrl+B or whatever.

The campaign Dependancy needs some serious fixing, for me it creates a 3xLabels and some other annoying stuff.
Also I would like my old Comments back instead of the new ones!
  • Comment Click me
instead of
  • Comment
  • This map was made by Crazed_seal
  • Do not edit or distribute without permission.
  • The triggers in this map blah blah blah.
Code:
//Maybe these functions
GetUnitName()
SetUnitName

Yeah I like the idea of clicking on the trigger and editing its values that way. I miss that about wc3, but that's probably all I do miss from their trigger system.
I don't like how with such things like abilities.. how long it takes to create a fully functional one. The whole idea of having to make a button, then an ability, then link the two is a pain in my goddamn ass. Like I understand it in some respects, but why can't I just select an image for the ability from a value in the ability's chart, like wc3? It was soooo much simpler and was much easier to organize.
Also creating a new unit is like impossible. I scratch my head at all the things you gotta do.. like assign models properly 3 million different ways (otherwise you get a gray ball where your unit should be) and there are no default actors for like.. movement and stuff.
With wc3 it was like oh, create new unit. Oh, select the model from a list. Done. That's it. With SC2 its like okay. Import. New model. New actor. New unit. Assign unit model. Assign unit actor. Baahh!
Also I wish they would add room for more textures per map. I mean it's not like they can't do it.. they limited it on WC3 and the editorx or whatever made it so you could, so theres no problem with the game running all the different textures.
Which reminds me of another thing (lol) I understand why they have two different paths for textures (theres like.. the images it has then it has like a file that looks like a large gold sheet..) I understand it makes more room for customizability, but for user-friendliness I wanted to punch an iron wall. At first it confused the hell out of me and I had like all kinds of problems. When the game ran textures on anything over low it would go pure white (and I mean like pure white).

I can't really complain, though.. I mean overall the SC2 editor blows the world edit outa the freakin water. There is too much detail availability with the new editor. The things you can do are literally endless. All I'm saying at this point is I miss how user-friendly the WC3 editor was.

Edit: Also I agree with the flying air pathing thing. You gotta mass no-fly zones and rename them all to one or two letters just so it doesn't fill your damn screen. I completely understand.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
-more basic doodads

This will be addressed in the comming 2 expansions. Do remember that a lot of content in WC3 was added with the TFT expansion.

-more pathing options for the pathing layer

Yeh it seems like multi layer pathing is semi implimented only. Although there exists pathing options for separate pathing layers it seems only ground pathing is really implimented.

Level 17
The only thing I ask for at the moment is the dependency shit.
I get x3 of everything in the editor, as it reads all of the functions, etc. from all of the dependencies.

It makes me go insane sometimes.

Other then that I kind of like things like the new data editor, and the new trigger editor, etc.

But yeah, the game lack a shitload of stuff like cliff levels, amount of tiles you can use, map size, etc.
But so far I haven't gotten into the case where it is like "I NEED this, otherwise I CAN'T do what I want to do". I just find another way around.

yea none of this is a 'need' basis, its mostly to make life easier..

@ dependencys
i agree in the needing of having actors and stuff.. but that doesnt mean there shouldnt be a quick way.....

im not sure as i havnt really delved much into obj editor, esp after all ive heard..., and the 15~ mins i spent surfing around it, hardly getting anywhere

but isnt this how it is currently?

1 you copy a unit...
then it copys that unit, and all its linked data, making several new things for ya (i believe theres a buncha checkboxes to select which all data to create)
and any unchecked boxes are left unlinked to anything

if thats the case.. it would be easier if it just linked to the old data, when no new data was created to acompany it

so lets say you copy a unit, leave the stats/commonly changed data checked, and uncheck the actors and whatnot.. (because if your basing it on a unit, your probably going by the units current model, which the icon automatically matches.., and the animations match.. and a wide amount of other visuals match.., whats most changed are the stats, upgrades, abilitys, and damage

Status
Not open for further replies.