• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 beta is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Remember that it's a closed beta folks, so your chance of getting into it unless you know someone is close to non-existing :p

Level 22
Beware of scam. I posted in Blizzard forums a possible Beta Keys Giveaway, but I got a response from Xordiah who said it is fake. The website was claiming that a Blizzard employe is giving away his job while taking hundreds of beta keys, you had to type your email but when you proceed to step 2 - it told me it is not for my area. Is it fake or this is a real employee I'm not sure. As Xordiah said, maybe there will be many fake sites around the coming game.

Level 9
Beware of scam. I posted in Blizzard forums a possible Beta Keys Giveaway, but I got a response from Xordiah who said it is fake. The website was claiming that a Blizzard employe is giving away his job while taking hundreds of beta keys, you had to type your email but when you proceed to step 2 - it told me it is not for my area. Is it fake or this is a real employee I'm not sure. As Xordiah said, maybe there will be many fake sites around the coming game.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/189104/starcraft_2_closed_beta_kicks_off_this_month.html read that, maybe it could convince you

Level 22
Starcraft 2 beta is out!

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23280178142&sid=3000

Avarius: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Beta Is Now Live!

The Koprulu sector rings once more with the sounds of battle, for the public beta test of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has officially begun! Invitations to participate in the beta test are now being delivered. As with previous Blizzard Entertainment titles, the beta-test process for StarCraft II will occur in phases. In each phase, we will be selecting players who meet specific criteria and who have opted in via their Battle.net accounts.

Players who have been invited to participate in the beta test will need to have a Battle.net account. For more information on the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta test, please read the FAQ http://f​orums.battle.net/thre​ad.html?topicId=23094​049320&sid=5000 and our recent media alert http://u​s.blizzard.com/en-us/​company/press/pressre​leases.html?100217.

If you didn't receive a beta test invite, don't worry -- it's possible that you'll be added in a later phase. Keep an eye on the email address associated with your Battle.net account, and stay tuned to www.StarCraft2.com for further updates.

Additionally, please keep discussion regarding the StarCraft II Beta consolidated to this thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 22
"Are you computer?"
"What are you?"
"No why?" (Leaves the game)
ROFL

Awesome video btw, though my race is terran. Anyway, now the biggest questions are: Who will get a key and when. I learnt that not only US but also people from all over the world incl EU will be in the 1st wave, just need to be chosen. Some already stared downloading even without a key lol.

The Zerg guy seemed to be good, and kinda changed my mind that war3ers will not have it harder. I'll have a hard time massing so many units, masssing several bararcks, spawning etc, obviously it is true when they say SC1 players will be better. Even my micro and timing cant help vs habits of Starcraft gamers.

I'll rep you for this video link, it is live and you can have lots of questions answered from watching this like how sc2 bnet looks like if account is really DISPLAYNAME.ACCOUNTNAME e.g SC2Beta.TheTerran

Level 22
Wat, is it any good?

No, it's not good, I'll stay and make maps or play at war3 instead of sc2... Yeah for dungeons and dragons war3 fits more I have to agree. I'm out of that.

Ever since I learnt about SC2 in 2007 I stopped developing my map on war3 but instead, the story will continue in SC2. Just a note: Beta does not include Galaxy Editor but they are saying, will be available in the next beta patches.

Level 22
It looks awesome yeah, sludgy as it should be. I want to add: I can open the SC2 beta setup MPQs with Magos War3ModelEdtior and can see some pics and icons! You just need to have the installer downloaded on your PC and it has MPQ files that can be opened!

Example: The SC2 cursor

From what I see Models will be in M3 and textures will be M3H extention OR DDS are textures and M3H are "?"

Last edited:
Level 22
I know where to download this client (not a torrent) but can't say here, not sure if it is legit and I'm not the uploader or linker of it. Though Magos opens the MPQ of the installer and as you can see the info above.

Im stuck at the main menu, I can see the cool main menu screen _ Main Menu music, the options ofr log in settings such as graphics, sound and music but I cant enter further as I have no key. Dont you just love that below:

Level 22
Im constantly checking the Blizzard General and Beta forums. Since Blizzard mention specs as their primary criteria, it's hard to say how they choose - they chose people who have like 6 GB, 4 GHz desktops, some with same specs, others with near to minimum. When 2 persons have the same specs I'm starting to think they choose the one with more purchased games even though they claim that numner of games doesn't increase the chances.

Last edited:
Level 15
Im constantly checking the Blizzard General and Beta forums. Since Blizzard mention specs as their primary criteria, it's hard to say how they choose - they chose people who have like 6 GB, 4 GHz desktops, some with same specs, others with near to minimum. When 2 persons have the same specs I'm starting to think they choose the one with more purchased games even though they claim that numner of games doesn't increase the chances.

I recently built a new Core i7 based system, but my Beta opt-in specs were still based on my old AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE Processor with 2GB DDR3 and an EVGA GeForce 7900GS, definitely not high end, and i got a key. I also had every blizzard game registered on my B.net account, and even though they say that doesn't help, i'm pretty sure it does a little. :p

Quote from the Beta FAQ;
Beta testers are chosen according to their system specs and other factors, including luck. Our goal is to have a good variety of system types to best test compatibility.

I know where to download this client (not a torrent) but can't say here, not sure if it is legit and I'm not the uploader or linker of it. Though Magos opens the MPQ of the installer and as you can see the info above.

Im stuck at the main menu, I can see the cool main menu screen _ Main Menu music, the options ofr log in settings such as graphics, sound and music but I cant enter further as I have no key. Dont you just love that below:

I just hope that you can play the game as Single player, offline

Level 19
I just hope that you can play the game as Single player, offline

You can play single player campaign offline. However, that does not include any sort of multiplayer nor any type of skirmish.

In official Blizzard screenshots you'll notice a guest mode to the right of the start menu for offline play. This isn't included in the beta client since it is multiplayer only.

Level 19
The above screen that I posted with LogIn Info is offline? It has 'connect' button and why does it look like you need to connect thru internet in order to have single player?

It is a beta after all. Only online playing and none offline.

Once you've entered your Battle.net 2.0 account email you'll have to press connect to connect to the servers. Once the connection has been established you'll have to write down the password and then you're ready to enter Battle.net 2.0.

From what I understand from Blizzard they're planning on making LAN available on Battle.net 2.0. When you want to play with your friends you simply log on the internet and if you're all in the same network you'll have the network speed of LAN.

That's how I understood things.

So i take there won't be a "just link up a few computers" option as was in the original SC? :/

Level 16
Well, If the LAN system would be like in Diablo II, it would be awesome. Access to Battle.net via LAN. How was that in Diablo II?

There was just an IP Log in for the wanted player, because of that, you could even join hes Battle.net game. This was an Multi Access for a lot of players, maybe it could be done for Starcraft II also?

Sorry if you don't understand what I just sayd, But you possibly could undestand, if you had played Diablo II.

And yes, Now I failed in english.

Well, If the LAN system would be like in Diablo II, it would be awesome. Access to Battle.net via LAN. How was that in Diablo II?

There was just an IP Log in for the wanted player, because of that, you could even join hes Battle.net game. This was an Multi Access for a lot of players, maybe it could be done for Starcraft II also?

Sorry if you don't understand what I just sayd, But you possibly could undestand, if you had played Diablo II.

And yes, Now I failed in english.

Yes i have played Diablo II, and still do :3 Imma necromancer.

Hmm.. is it just me or are the games slowly loosing the "offline play" aspect? o_O

Level 12
It isn't like he posted a link to it, but yeah...

oh, and... Multiplayer isn't that much better way, I prefer singleplayer.

I don't have the statistic on this but the market for multiplayer games is way bigger. Hwver, you proved a point, games like Bioshock for instance made their landmark.

But most blizzard games are always about modability, we're all here interested more in the galaxy editor than the game itself :mwahaha:

Level 10
I am at a huge disadvantage when it comes to getting the Starcraft II beta. You see, I don't have a Battle.net account because I never play online. This means I have no chance of getting the beta at all, so I need to wait for the game to actually come out.
It's not like I can use it, anyway. I have two computers - one a small laptop for college work and such, the other a 2003 Windows for gaming. Only the laptop has internet, and it certainly won't be able to handle Starcraft II.

Status
Not open for further replies.