• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sawmill / War Mill

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.

Shop for UI and more!

Commissioned for Spellbringers by Bawbz. Check out the project's YT channel.

- Uploaded

- Added icons
- Changed flag path to be more in line with recent uploads

NO‎TESCREDIT
  • No need to change import paths for custom textures. You can import the entire folder (Ctrl + Shift + I) through the Import Manager.
Give credits if you use my resources in your map.

You may repost my models or incorporate them in your 3D creations, as long as you observe proper attribution by crediting me and linking to this bundle.
Magos' Model Editor
If a.) the model/s present an error regarding a ribbon emitter upon opening, or b.) the models go blank in-game after editing them in Magos', use MdlxConv to convert the uncorrupted file to MDL, edit the model as you wish, and then convert back to MDX before importing. If c.) the model/s refuse to open in MDL due to particle priority planes; remove those lines using a text editor (search for those keywords) and restore them after making your changes.

In-Game
If models with omnilights light up the whole map after conversion, make sure you're using version 1.04 of MdlxConv.

Contents

Sawmill / War Mill (Model)

Sawmill Icon (Icon)

War Mill Icon Blue (Icon)

War Mill Icon Red (Icon)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
A good 2-tiered sawmill with exceptional particle effects. Works in-game. Approved!
It is an interesting design to say the least. It works wonderfully inside of the game and outside of the game. However, I have a small issue with the upgrade during the upgrade process. When the entrance block of the sawmill/warmill gets about an entire story of the building added on to it, the scaffolding isn't given a boost in height either. No offense, if they are solely adding onto the building from a height that does give them the best and highest support advantage, then it seems like an unreasonable upgrade which makes me believe that either the upgrade is audaciously unnecessary, or rather an unbelievable upgrade model. My suggestion is to fix the scaffolding issue in the upgrade during the portion of the upgrade that adds the entrance-block extension. Otherwise, the model and upgrade stand at a solid 7.5/10 to me.

Em!

Em!

Level 25
It is an interesting design to say the least. It works wonderfully inside of the game and outside of the game. However, I have a small issue with the upgrade during the upgrade process. When the entrance block of the sawmill/warmill gets about an entire story of the building added on to it, the scaffolding isn't given a boost in height either. No offense, if they are solely adding onto the building from a height that does give them the best and highest support advantage, then it seems like an unreasonable upgrade which makes me believe that either the upgrade is audaciously unnecessary, or rather an unbelievable upgrade model. My suggestion is to fix the scaffolding issue in the upgrade during the portion of the upgrade that adds the entrance-block extension. Otherwise, the model and upgrade stand at a solid 7.5/10 to me.
This model like so many others, even my models don´t conform to the rules of realism. scaffolding is one of multiple "unbelievable" realism issues, but why does it matter? It´s fantasy. I have no idea what it is doing with one tiny chimney on a thin roof in an open workshop area, or when upgraded, three chimneys and a flaming bowl on the side, but it looks good.

This model like so many others, even my models don´t conform to the rules of realism. scaffolding is one of multiple "unbelievable" realism issues, but why does it matter? It´s fantasy. I have no idea what it is doing with one tiny chimney on a thin roof in an open workshop area, or when upgraded, three chimneys and a flaming bowl on the side, but it looks good.
It is a fantasy, but even the best fantasies follow some kind of rules to make them seem real and believable. Why do you think you are as much of a fan of War3 as me or anyone else? You wouldn't enjoy it as much as you do if you didn't have this relatable feeling in your gut to it that makes you wonder if there is some plane or reality out there that could look similarly like it even though it is clearly a fantasy to escape to. Not to mention, look at the Warcraft movie that was made about the moments leading up to the First War. I would rate such movie with the Director's Cut badge of quality work because that is my opinion. It does exactly what Warcraft and World of Warcraft typically did before it and told the whole story from multiple sides even though it changed up some details about the lore in its version of the actual Warcraft story. Not to mention, everything had shown elements of realism in some way, especially with how they revealed knowledge/lore and what other details you might be able to think of. Back to this model and my previous statement, if you look at other buildings of the same racial faction this is likely to be implemented in if it isn't used for it's own thing. The scaffolding on those buildings may not always go up all the way, but the quirky birthing skips in progress make it easier to understand/believe that the workers got the work done because these skips serve simply as timeskips in the progression of the construction of the structure being built. Of course, these skips are not in any way, shape, or form realistic as construction of a building/structure takes a bit of time, but the skips are the animational fantasy overriding a realistic truth. In a previous version of this model that was on display which I made my comment about, there was a good chunk of time where there were polygons of this model that were higher than the scaffolding after a progress jump which made up the block for the entrance of the building in the upgraded version of the structure. Just from using the HumanTower and HumanCitadel as the two best examples of my previously mentioned statement. Scaffolding is meant to be as high as where workers are actually going to be working and will only stop at polygon heights where progress jumps are made to complete the model. Keeping in mind all that I have mentioned before, I wouldn't say the previous version could/would believably pass for an upgradable human building. Further more, I would say that the current version that I see now is more believable. I rate it a 10/10. It looks good, works well, and could even serve as feesible replacement of the Alliance Lumbermill in a standard game if an individual modeler had this model do just that. Otherwise, it could serve whatever purpose is needed.

Also Em!. I find it interesting that you mention your models which I have noticed that most of which are unit category models and they follow a different set of rules than building/structure category models. There was also one model of yours that you made that was fitted into the doodad category which also has a different set of rules. So... wanna explain your hate of my constructive critique?

Last edited:

Em!

Em!

Level 25
It is a fantasy, but even the best fantasies follow some kind of rules to make them seem real and believable. Why do you think you are as much of a fan of War3 as me or anyone else? You wouldn't enjoy it as much as you do if you didn't have this relatable feeling in your gut to it that makes you wonder if there is some plane or reality out there that could look similarly like it even though it is clearly a fantasy to escape to. Not to mention, look at the Warcraft movie that was made about the moments leading up to the First War. I would rate such movie with the Director's Cut badge of quality work because that is my opinion. It does exactly what Warcraft and World of Warcraft typically did before it and told the whole story from multiple sides even though it changed up some details about the lore in its version of the actual Warcraft story. Not to mention, everything had shown elements of realism in some way, especially with how they revealed knowledge/lore and what other details you might be able to think of. Back to this model and my previous statement, if you look at other buildings of the same racial faction this is likely to be implemented in if it isn't used for it's own thing. The scaffolding on those buildings may not always go up all the way, but the quirky birthing skips in progress make it easier to understand/believe that the workers got the work done because these skips serve simply as timeskips in the progression of the construction of the structure being built. Of course, these skips are not in any way, shape, or form realistic as construction of a building/structure takes a bit of time, but the skips are the animational fantasy overriding a realistic truth. In a previous version of this model that was on display which I made my comment about, there was a good chunk of time where there were polygons of this model that were higher than the scaffolding after a progress jump which made up the block for the entrance of the building in the upgraded version of the structure. Just from using the HumanTower and HumanCitadel as the two best examples of my previously mentioned statement. Scaffolding is meant to be as high as where workers are actually going to be working and will only stop at polygon heights where progress jumps are made to complete the model. Keeping in mind all that I have mentioned before, I wouldn't say the previous version could/would believably pass for an upgradable human building. Further more, I would say that the current version that I see now is more believable. I rate it a 10/10. It looks good, works well, and could even serve as feesible replacement of the Alliance Lumbermill in a standard game if an individual modeler had this model do just that. Otherwise, it could serve whatever purpose is needed.
I am not a fan of war3 or Wow Lore. I like war1 and war2 lore, Pre-war3, and Wow rewrite. I was not fond of the movie, so I think you might be more of a war3 fan than I am, but that doesn't really matter. I have a job background in the construction industry and archaeology. What seemed realistic in fantasy for me was ruined by education and a drive to understand medieval engineering. I think it´s best to ignore my education and work experience so I can mod without nitpicking everything. As for scaffolding, I can tell you that we would often stand on the roof and work on the roof, often without a scaffold covering all sides or reaching up because we had a deadline. We built a simple and probably not up-to-safety code fence to prevent falling and had a ladder. I would think if you were constructing a lumber mill on an active battlefield and you had only a minute or two to do it, I wouldn't bother with assembling too many scaffolds. Easier to just relocate it to where you need it.

Edit: Noticed that you are editing and adding to your wall of text. Please don´t do that, please, I will surrender and let you win, whatever this is, I don´t want to read all that again. You are going to have to look harder if you want to see my building models.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of war3 or Wow Lore. I like war1 and war2 lore, Pre-war3, and Wow rewrite. I was not fond of the movie, so I think you might be more of a war3 fan than I am, but that doesn't really matter. I have a job background in the construction industry and archaeology. What seemed realistic in fantasy for me was ruined by education and a drive to understand medieval engineering. I think it´s best to ignore my education and work experience so I can mod without nitpicking everything. As for scaffolding, I can tell you that we would often stand on the roof and work on the roof, often without a scaffold covering all sides or reaching up because we had a deadline. We built a simple and probably not up-to-safety code fence to prevent falling and had a ladder. I would think if you were constructing a lumber mill on an active battlefield and you had only a minute or two to do it, I wouldn't bother with assembling too many scaffolds. Easier to just relocate it to where you need it.

Edit: Noticed that you are editing and adding to your wall of text. Please don´t do that, please, I will surrender and let you win, whatever this is, I don´t want to read all that again. You are going to have to look harder if you want to see my building models.
I can tell you this logically, if you were building anything on the battlefield, then it wouldn't be 2+ story buildings like this sawmill/warmill. It would likely be rudimentary walls and defenses like spiked barricades and fences/walls that are high enough to make someone have to put some effort into going around/over in order to get beyond, which are easier to produce than the 2+ story building. My dad worked in construction for much of my life growing up. I often helped him with a lot of the work that he did. I know for a fact that people like you and him do exactly what you do for even some semblance of safety. However, the companies that he worked for also had scaffoldings that went up to the full heights for working in areas of houses/buildings that they couldn't easily get to when working on the roofs as said roofs were likely extended, ergo just like this model. Not to mention, Warcraft before WoW has always been a medieval fantasy. While I don't necessarily agree completely with all of the design models that are used in here, I am not complaining about them at all. I am simply saying that outside of whatever other custom style of map this model maybe used in, it wouldn't exactly make the cut for the standard altered melee modded map. My critique was merely trying to help make it seem more in line with the pre-given rules.

Post response. Forgive me about the editing and adding to the wall of text. I did try to put my best foot forward with the initial posting, but had noticed mistakes and wanted to correct them. As for trying to find your building models, I would certainly look harder if it were worth the effort, but I would prefer to thank you for all of the buildings that I have previously lived in, in the case that you had a hand in any of them. After all, I have viewed almost all of the resources that you have showing on this site. If you would like to stop limiting people on what they could view, I would absolutely love looking through them. Maybe even give you some ratings of my own. I am merely wanting to not only improve myself, but other with the content here. Also, I am sorry that you didn't like War3 or the Warcraft movie and I will simply end on this. I only want everyone to enjoy themselves and make spectacular things while respecting what came before. That is why I may seem like I am "knitpicking" at things that may or may not need improvement. There is always room for improvement, even when you are better than you were.

Em!

Em!

Level 25
I can tell you this logically, if you were building anything on the battlefield, then it wouldn't be 2+ story buildings like this sawmill/warmill. It would likely be rudimentary walls and defenses like spiked barricades and fences/walls that are high enough to make someone have to put some effort into going around/over in order to get beyond, which are easier to produce than the 2+ story building.
If the big boss wants a 2+ story lumber mill on a battlefield, our only option is to say yes sir or bravely run away. No unions in medieval times.
Also, I am sorry that you didn't like War3 or the Warcraft movie
Why? It has no effect on me.
If you would like to stop limiting people on what they could view, I would absolutely love looking through them.
It´s on default setting. My stuff is on the media, released in maps or on my hard drive. My word still stands, my models don´t conform to the rules of realism. I made a blacksmith on top of a volcano, and the volcano is built with the aid of scaffolding. You can take my word for it or You can find the building in my latest uploaded map, if you are so inclined.

Edit.Oh you were right..people could not view my profile. I fix.

Last edited:
If the big boss wants a 2+ story lumber mill on a battlefield, our only option is to say yes sir or bravely run away. No unions in medieval times.
You forget that at one point in time, and this is legit, there were such things as guilds in the medieval times and they were practically the same thing as unions because they operated the same way. However, if your boss wants a 2+ story building in an area that is in the middle of a violent conflict and isn't going to take no for an answer, then the only thing that you are more likely to say is "F* you. Unless you want this building finished, we are going to have to work to defend the structure." If you actually use common sense which more people had back in the medieval times, you don't build during a fight especially if you work for a guild aligned to a royal or noble.
Why? It has no effect on me.
For no reason at all other than knowing that their story telling literally had no effect on you. I appreciate War3, War2, and War1 equally for their story telling and that is the main reason why I would prefer to play any game: to follow a story. The most addicting part about War2 and War3 is that they told that story not just through multiple lenses, but also via the mechanics of the Risk game which had been modified to being played out in real time for all sides.
It´s on default setting. My stuff is on the media, released in maps or on my hard drive. My word still stands, my models don´t conform to the rules of realism. I made a blacksmith on top of a volcano, and the volcano is built with the aid of scaffolding. You can take my word for it or You can find the building in my latest uploaded map, if you are so inclined.

Edit.Oh you were right..people could not view my profile. I fix.
I look forward to looking at your maps for all of your building models. The goal of my critique isn't to stop fantastical creativity, but to challenge it with sensible reasoning and realism while understanding fantastical rules and cultures. Dwarves building into/around mountains, so a blacksmith on top of a volcano is actually pretty understandable. They use the molten lava as their fire, but the danger of building inside a volcano is that they are just as easily capable of being taken out by the lava as they are to die in a mine's collapse when tunneling under mountains. However, I am not wanting to rant because I feel like we hopefully both have some level of understanding now and so I digress. I hope you have a wonderful day.