• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save/load help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how you would do it, I would show you it myself however this guy does a better job explaining it. Full credits to Megamax or whatever his name was in there.

Welcome back infi.

Edit: Oh, and never ever use AceHart's. The maker of it has even said it is extremely limited and flawed. He never released the 2.0 version which removed most of that limit. So you are limited to about a value of a million which means 22 str and 22 agility would equal 2222 unlike the latest ones we have now. I think AceHart's 2.0 would have been TriggerHappy's current save/load.

Attachments

• SaveLoadCodev1.3.w3x
    38.1 KB · Views: 58
Level 31
megamax's is probably the worst save/load system out there

if you really want a save/load system tailor made to your map, the only way to really do this is to learn vJASS. It's *really* simple once you know vJASS. It's practically impossible to do with plain old GUI. The best thing you're going to get is TriggerHappy's, which isn't very good.

Under My Resources in the Tutorials folder, there is an interactive save/load tutorial. You just click View Raw, open it in WE, then hit Test Map. It'll show you how save/load works, but it won't really help you make a save/load system unless you know how to code. At the very least, it'll educate you so that you can make an informed decision rather than be pointed to horrible systems like megamax and then unknowingly use them, or terrible algorithms like the one jondrean linked.

There are two ways to do good save/load. One way is to do all of your operations in binary using a resource like BitInt. This makes it much faster, but isn't as efficient for space. The other more cumbersome way is to use an insane resource like BigInt that will do plain old operations on huge numbers. This way is much slower, but very efficient on space. If you are doing codeless, you want BitInt and you want to use a new unreleased Networking library for synchronization. If you aren't doing codeless, you wanna go with BigInt. This of course requires knowledge on the math that you need to do, which the tutorial teaches.

There is a resource that includes a ton of little code snippets that helps you craft a save/load system. It does the math etc for you. All you have to do is the architecture, which is really map specific. The tutorial and the resource teach you about architecting a save/load system for your map.

So much for leaving eh Nes?

He asked how to make one and last I recalled he was a GUI'er so I gave him the solution to making a save/load he wanted.

You only really need JASS as well a save/load tailor made to a map doesn't require to be vjass or one of your resources. Take a look at Legendary Monsters or Master Crafters made by SomeWhiteGuy. Fully GUI and tailor made. GUI can't do some things and this luckily isn't one of those things. TriggerHappy's is actually very good and the only thing better then MegaMax's.

I really still don't see how yours even surpassed theirs, I did like your codeless stuff though.

You didn't even come here providing a solution, all you did was say "Learn vjass or your done/doomed, and well the only thing besides that would be TriggerHappy's."
Not very helpful Nes. Though I would appreciate a nice reply as to how yours is superior without it being a 1000 char brick wall of annoyingness.

Edit: saw you edited it, forget the not very helpful part then.

However what if one wants a GUI system? You can't provide that, what about a Vanilla save/load? I for one dislike vJASS.

Level 31
Then make BigInt and BitInt for GUI, lol.

The tutorial covers the math -> https://github.com/nestharus/JASS/b... Saving and Loading Tutorial (1).w3m?raw=true

all you need is a library that can do that math for you on huge numbers

someone was going to try to do it, but it just isn't really feasible. They gave up.

If you want to find out why megamax's is so bad etc, then go through that tutorial =). Otherwise you can only take my word for it.

Level 31
Then make BigInt and BitInt for GUI, lol.

The tutorial covers the math -> https://github.com/nestharus/JASS/b... Saving and Loading Tutorial (1).w3m?raw=true

all you need is a library that can do that math for you on huge numbers

someone was going to try to do it, but it just isn't really feasible. They gave up.

If you want to find out why megamax's is so bad etc, then go through that tutorial =). Otherwise you can only take my word for it.

Yeah I might consider doing that Nes, thanks. Sadly Almia couldn't handle your messed up code. =P
Trust me I know, I am not as stupid as I once was when I requested your help. :grin:

Yeah though on the bright side, how bad it is also adds to its own form of protection :xxd:

By the way Infi, good luck. If you say you don't need a complex save/load then use TriggerHappy's, its the best possible GUI one you'll ever find unless I release one.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

i believe i can use the algorithm jon posted to create a simple load code. I don't need a complex save/load system, it will just be for bragging rights, no ingame advantages.
you'll be fine with it, it's semi secure for holding things like credits. To make it player dependent, just make a separate segment for it..
I made it like: number of big letters in name*1 + small letters*2 + numbers*3
your code will be nnn-nnnn = name id - credits

Status
Not open for further replies.