• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG Myriad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Myriad Project Recruitment

Hey guys!

I have begun the creation of a massive RPG game that promises to be one of the most creative and imaginative maps or mods out there. I say this not to encourage attention, for it needs little, but in order to prepare you for the things I am to say to you next.

Myriad is an exciting project, not because of fancy models, or skins or spells that so commonly define maps, but because of the underlying structure of the game itself which takes it beyond anything expected from a Warcraft map.

Myriad will feature a massively complex AI system that will govern every individual unit! Units behave like intelligent people, and the Order system will allow you to communicate with them in a manner unparalleled by any existing RPG I'm aware of.
No more the typical presets, and the choices and paths that a Player can learn by rote and perform, Myriad will be a world of living breathing people that react and act in their own individual ways. The barriers between friends and enemies blur with the new AI, which is no longer based upon Player Groups.

The Spell System, which has ignited much enthusiasm, also promises a system equally as complex and exciting, allowing players to not just create their own spells, but create them from scratch directly from the game code!

The world is based on pure physics, weapons no longer deal the simple 2D6 +1 style damage, instead damage and collision are all based on real life physics. Though I unforunately cannot promise that the physics system itself will be as advanced as what you might see on systems like SEE, created by HINDYhat, nevertheless I can guarantee it will provide an exciting and real aspect to a game already the former.

You can give orders to units, who may or may not choose to follow your commands, you can befriend people, make enemies, spread rumours, engage in trade, explore the ancient world, discover exciting stories that are infinitely flexible and powerful, based upon AI.

By now, I am sure you can see that Myriad promises not only to be one of the most exciting maps/mods, but also the most challenging. Thus, I need project members in order to help the vision come true for every Warcraft and game lover on the web!

My skills with jass are unfortunately limited, as I began to learn it only at the beginning of Myriad, which was in fact the first I heard of it. Thanks to people like Eleandor, PurplePoot and many other jass experts I have improved this somewhat, but I really do need a lot more jass and vjass muscle on this.

If you are reading this and want to help, but only know GUI, don't worry, there will be a point when you will be needed to, you can keep an eye out for that day when I'll make the general request, or simply PM me and I'll remember your name for the future.

Fortunately I already have the talents of Orc and Eleandor as project members to help realise the Myriad vision, and to help me learn the ins and outs of warcraft and apply cinematic vision.

Summary of Systems:

Many of the systems that I've spoken about above are all basically in the testing stages, mostly one step away from being workable. Though when they are workable, they still will not be finished, for they will need much pure creation of the different functions in order to give a properly wide range for a player to use.

The largest systems to note are: True AI System, Spell System, Order System, Physics System.
Combat AI is currently a sub-AI of True AI, and various other systems are part of either Combat or Physics system.

I've made as much headway as humanly possible with my current schedule, though learning jass also bites a fair chunk out of that, and my ignorance also slows me down somewhat.

Fortunately, once I have the basic systems sitting on the map to be found on the Central Myriad Thread, then then others should be able to clearly see exactly what I want and what they can expect.

Hopefully I managed to garner the interest of some of you, and so I'll move on directly the next part. The next part will simply be an summary of the different systems that I've written down, and that I will require so much help with. So take a look!

SYSTEMS

AI System

This is the governing intelligence, not of the map as a whole, or player groups, but every individual unit. That’s right, every unit has their own AI. The system itself is the same thought process for everyone, the difference comes down to input.

First of all the AI creates the locals to store all the information, both for the system itself, and for the unit’s ‘brain’. The AI is then set into a permanent loop (calls itself after reaching op limit) where it constantly organises and sorts information that comes from incoming ‘data’ such as the unit’s received orders, the objects in its vision, and other types of data, and then runs them through the system.

It has a whole memory section, where the unit will store received orders, orders its decided for itself, and anything else that comes to mind. These memory strings are its link to functions.
For example it thinks “Get_Some_Coffee”, then the AI will process it and call the function Get_Some_Coffee.

Also, the brain organise these thoughts as to strength. You could have a thought Get_Some_Coffee, with a value of 50, you could also have a thought Get_Some_Sugar, with a value of 100. Because Get_Some_Sugar has a higher value it is the most prominent and the unit will carry out this function until another becomes more prominent or its value becomes 0.
Also note that in the future, these thoughts can have conditions appended to them, such as Attack Unit if Being An Egg. Or Search for (Cheese). This helps define the thought and action taken.
The brain may also contain Conditions created from and based upon thoughts. Such as if you have Protect_Target, that’ll place a Condition saying If Want to Kill Target < Condition(Do Not Kill Target!) then Do Not Attack
Else Go For It!

So even the conditions have strengths as well, and will provide interesting AI.

Countering Orders is easy. Say you order a man to attack a unit, then you change your mind, you order him NOT to attack that unit.

Basically saying NOT is a way of changing the new Order value to a negative.

Say your first Order to attack unit is: Attack Unit = + 1000

You order to counter it would look like: Attack Unit = - 1000

Basically, for the second action, the AI will run through all the thoughts, seen that the function is the same, and ‘added’ the value to it, which would in fact subtract it to equal 0. Interestingly, you might issue a unit an order, then a while later you could come back and try to counter it, and the unit will carry on to do it. This could be for two reasons, the unit likes the order, and the order strength has grown beyond your ability to counter, or his respect for you has decreased more than the order, and thus you do not have sufficient authority over him to negate the order.

The requirements for this system is that: Units cannot repeat the exact same order to a unit to cheaply increase the strength, but an order can be increased if multiple units give the same order. But the same unit can in fact counter an order, by saying NOT to do it.

This might be a little tricky in order to tag this little positive/negative do order to the order string but it should be quite effective done in this manner.

The tricky part is that each order string has the unit who ordered it attached to it, so that if he passes along an order, he can say who it actually comes from, and if you have multiple units adding to the same order, only one could be put in here. This would either mean some complicated way to store every separate order yet add the total of all identical orders. (That could be useful when trying to find non-collidable actions, e.g, actions that don’t interfere with others, or satisfy the majority of thought power.) Actually that would be the only effective way to do it if I wanted the unit to be able to modify the strength with which it paid attention to a unit’s orders if for some reason it had reason to dislike the unit more. That would be the only way to have a clean modifier system that used multipliers, but perhaps if it was pure plus’ and minus’ it would be fine to just add the ordering units to a unitgroup of the order. Lot of memory usage going on here probably though.

I would like to keep memory usage and processing down as much as possible, without sacrificing the really good game aspects.

A unit should have native thoughts that it either defaults to, or can invent on its own based on its personality. Such as Idleness would be a default, and when calling the function Idleness, it will do whatever it wants to do, rather than what it has been ordered to do.

It needs to be able to think thoughts like “I (Must)_Get_(Shopping)” or “I_(Need)_(New)_(Boots)” or “I_(Want)_To_Go_(Fishing)”.
The first bracket would be the strength of the thought, and the latter bracket is simply the condition of the function, defining it.

I_(Need)_(New)_(Boots) is interesting because it adds two conditions that he wants an item that is a)Boots and b) New. He doesn’t want Old Boots. But also those two conditions might have varying values.

E.g, the condition Boots could have a value of 100, and the condition New might have a value of 50.

That means that as the thought gets more urgent, or dwindles or the values inside dwindle for some reason, it is possible that if the value of whatever ‘argument’ he receives that he’ll settle for any Boots, because the strength of the condition New isn’t strong enough, whereas the condition Boots will likely have the same strength as the thought, so that so long as the thought exists so too does the want of the Boots.

I think it could be very interesting if the strength of the thought outweighed the strength of the need for boots. So that the specific want for boots might fade away and the unit is still left with the want, or if a wily businessman is clever in his argument he might be able to push an item that manages to strike the thin wedge between the strength of the need for boots, and the strength of the want to buy, so that the guy ends up buying the gloves, though he already has twenty and now has no footwear.

That would cure his insatiable shopping lust, but he still has a need for boots, so he may continue shopping in order to find some.

If you think you have the skills in order to help put together this revolutionary AI system, or even just some helpful input to share on the matter, I’d love to hear from you!

The Spell System

(The below is an excerpt from my notes that you can also find on the Central Myriad Thread.)

This is my latest Myriad feature, and it is without doubt the coolest thing there is on Myriad.
This revolutionary spell casting system allows players to create their own spells from scratch!

This is not the spell making system like on Oblivion, where you may only modify spell presets, such as spell type, mana requirement, power, etc... This spell creation goes beyond the bounds of normal game mechanics and builds up spells from the gamecode itself!

That’s right, when you are creating spells, you are in fact creating triggers!

Spellcasting

Spell casting consists of a mage incanting magical words, the magic words he uses are in fact links to ingame functions, and thus, the order in which a mage incants his magical words, and the syntax he uses have a direct effect on the spell.

Miscasting

But spellcasters beware! If you miscast a spell, by mispronouncing your magic formula, or you have not incanted in a proper order, then the effects can be dire!

When you ‘miscast’ a spell, it does not operate on a ‘if formula works, then, else’, it will always do what you tell it to. Thus a ‘miscast’, is not where it doesn’t cast the spell, it is where your spell does not do what you wanted it to do because you didn’t know what you were doing.

E.g, you cast “abracadabra Fire Elemental”

You summon a fire elemental, as you would expect.

But if you cast, say, “abracadabra Elemental Fire”.

You might summon just a ball of fire, because the Spell Reader may interpret Elemental as a type, instead of a unit. That’s just a very basic example.

(In actual fact you may have to cast elemental fire elemental, in order to summon a fire elemental, if the above syntax were true. It may not be.)

The beauty of this system, is that while it uses functions, and is based heavily upon them, they are all functions specifically for the purpose of spell casting, thus there is no cross over or collision with game mechanics, and it is all based upon a library of magic words. You cannot use a function, if that function name is not a magic word. Thus the library can also be easily expanded for future updates.

If you wish to learn the ways of magic, this can take dedicated patience, slowly growing your command of the magic language in order to increase your power. In order to cast effective spells you need to learn how to target your magic, (there’s no point casting a spell when there is no target, unless it doesn’t need one, most cases the target is just you), how to define your magic (do you want to damage someone, find someone, buff someone?) and how to construct your magic spell so that it in fact does what you want.

For those who are aghast at the thought of typing out “abracadabra ilumina es spiryh der target” every time you want to cast a fireball at someone, never fear! Your mage is quite capable of remembering spells you give him, and is also capable of recording them in his ‘spellbook’ of abilities. So whenever you want a fireball, you can just click the ability, and he’ll quick cast the spell, incanting it at record speed!

Learning Spells

As earlier mentioned, spell casting is a scholar’s art. To be an effective spellcaster, you have to understand the language and syntax, there are many tomes of power, and books of magic as well as knowledgeable NPC’s to help you gain understanding, but it is still a process.
Learning to spellcast is much like learning how to write Jass. Thus, I’d imagine that those who learn the quickest will be those who know how Jass works. This is deliberate.
Never worry though that those who can Jass have an unfair advantage over you, because you can’t. They do. So don’t worry. :D However although they should understand the theory behind it, this only helps give them a grasp of the basic concept. This knowledge in no way gives them insight into what magic words exist. However, a brave player could experiment. :D

Another way of learning spells is to actually observe the spell casting of another mage! That’s right, when someone casts a spell, they have to incant it (actually say it in text), so you can always see what they have cast. But beware, they may have tailored their incantation in a specific manner, such as to only benefit themselves. If you cast the spell word for word, you might be committing magical suicide. Such as, the caster may have created the spell so that say:
If Race of Casting Unit == Human then Do Magic else cause Magic Feedback Damage to Casting Unit.

You see what I mean? It may be tailored in a fashion that only a human might use it properly, or only they specifically can use it. The above is just an example btw, not necessarily a true reflection of spell syntax.

But you can still learn spells by watching other mages, then carefully studying or modifying it if it looks suspicious.

Magic Techniques

I believe that this spell system really will define the game according to the person playing it. People that have learned a great amount of magic lore, will by definition be more knowledgeable mages, and therefore have greater potential to construct their very own spells out of thin air. However, less knowledgeable mages may have to content themselves with rearranging spells that they find, or copy ones already proven out of magic tomes, and concentrate on improving their power in other ways, such as augmenting their mana.

That’s the other difference. There is two kinds of Mages. The Wizard, and the Mana Mage. A Wizard is someone who concentrates on building a bigger and better spell, a Mana Mage is someone who will concentrate on improving their own mana, so they can incant a simple spell, and make it effective by sheer force of mana. Wizards are the scholars, Mana Mage’s are the crude fighters. Neither is necessarily better of itself, it simply depends on the player, a Mana Mage might overwhelm a Wizard who is insufficient to defend himself, or a Wizard might defeat a Mana Mage through clever spellwork.

Inscribing Spells

It is possible to ‘save’ your spell by inscribing it on a scroll, or storing it as an ability. Abilities come in two types, Magic and Physical. Magic means that when you activate it, your character incants the ability spell. Physical means that the ability is a typical ability, such as sword techniques or jumping, or picking a pocket.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I will update this post with more information as needed, or requested, and I would love to answer any queries or questions you have. I just hope that with the help of you guys, we can put a really great map on the web that players will love. :D That's the mission!

:spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker: :spell_breaker:

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I could do GUI, Storyline, even Dialog. Although my specialty is the first.

I volunteer to be a tester.

Level 7
Recruited! Lol. I'll stick your name up in my post as a volunteer tester. :thumbs_up:

After three update you're gonna look like this: :fp: :ugly:

Level 7
Recruits!

Awesome stuff! That's three volunteers for testing! :gg:

Dialogue for the storyline isn't needed to be done, but I'll write up my general thought on it for you to take a gander at. Any story that we do will have to be 'calibrated' for gameplay anyway. :D
So we'll probably get into the dialogue at a later point in the project.

But trigger and map testing is all the rage now! Thanks for the tip onisaiyan (does that mean your a super saiyan agent?)
Check out the map, and poke around. Read my notes for a clearer idea of the game. :thumbs_up:

For you guys who volunteer to do the testing and debugging, I generally put my problems that I'm having on the main thread, and I'll put notes into my maps as well.

I'll also likely be contacting you via PM's or some means, simply to organise certain areas that you might target or work on. This could mean specific trigger functions, or attempting to find a solution that allow me to create the proper effect.

But until then, it's all very much up in the air stuff, so just contribute whatever thoughts you might have in general for the time being.

If you mod the map with any improvements or ideas that you have, feel free to either stick it up on the main board, or to me personally. The latter is probably a better idea so that people don't download double or triple versions of the same map.

Last edited:
Level 7
To Orc - Let your imagination wander freely! Lol. I lie.
This might not be your area of expertise, but if you could build a rudimentary mini system of City AI. Such as citizens that go from say, grabbing a fish, putting in fish storage, to fishing again, until a certain time. And other citizens that take the fish, and stick it in Fish Market. Just a very rudimentary citizen AI, to provide the basis of the real deal.
Later on, citizens will perform other actions, such as cleaning, gutting fish to improve value, eating food if hungry, or bringing it to their home to feed the occupants of house. But that's what I'd immediately like to see.

Also, there are professions/jobs which I haven't started on properly yet. Fishing, hunting, lumbering, farming, mining, all these jobs will also be performed by citizens as the Mayor finds necessary, but a player can engage in these activities to make moola, or sustain himself.

Also. Wander would take care of Horse Wander Graze. But I wanted the horse to naturally pick the most scrumptious piece of grass available around him first, as that provides the greatest health benefit. Might be a bit tricky.

Also I'm working on Terrain variables for greater flexiblity, NewGen seems to provide me the ability to do that in the way I want now.

Alleycat5- Hey great! Not a massive amount of playability in the game at the mo, but I update the improvements Orc and i make fairly regualrly. When i don't exceed the MB limit on my connection. :(

Speaking of which. See ya!

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Such as citizens that go from say, grabbing a fish, putting in fish storage, to fishing again, until a certain time. And other citizens that take the fish, and stick it in Fish Market.
...citizens will perform other actions, such as cleaning, gutting fish to improve value, eating food if hungry, or bringing it to their home to feed the occupants of house.

Why do I feel like I'm playing Settlers: Rise of an Empire?

Sure; I feel like ordering around little minions right about now any.

Level 7
That's great. :)

I think I've played one of the settlers games, number 3 or something when I was a kid. It looked funny. :)

And I think that's the mechanics of what i want. However a Player won't necessarily need to concern himself with it, it's just the foundation for the house, not the paint. How important this economy will be to the player is up to him, and what he chooses to do.
It will be important to people like Traders or Mayors, but not so much warriors or the like.

Ordering citizen minions, will be the province of the Mayor to any degree. They're just, citizens, you know? :) Background AI.
I was thinking of using a custom value to indicate which citizens are busy or idle, so that busy ones are excluded from triggers, and idle ones will be rounded up by the AI. This way you won't get 'stuck' units sitting aimlessly in the desert, or busybusy ones trying to do five triggers at the same time.
I'll discuss it more indepth later, but let's start small first. :)

(UPDATE: The above is no longer accurate, True AI will replace the above Governing system.)

Last edited:
Level 7
Testing is 24/7 dude! I update the map whenever possible with the additions that I or other members such as Orc make. For the moment beta testing is simply you exploring some of the functions that have been laid out, and if you are of a mind, poke around in the map itself and if any insights or suggestions pop to mind, rally them to the speech centres and lay it on me!

Also, we are getting a new addition to the team, a GUI and Jass veteran! Woot!

*loud cheers and tumultuous applause*

Now, er... what was the guy's name...? Bart! At least that was on what I saw on my email, I couldn't swear to it being the dude's Hive persona.

Insert Atlantis quote here: "I'm sho eschited!"

This is great news for RPG Myriad which is now getting another brain on the case!

This was Alakon News, keeping you updated, 9 to 5, every weekday, but on a channel you never watch. Good night.

Special Report: This just in...We've just recieved confirmed reports that the afore named Bart is in fact none other than Eleandor himself. With an impressive tally of over 1800 posts, he stands high among the heavy hitters of the Hive forums. We'll keep you posted as the situation developes.

Level 15
I, my friend, am I)eadNerzhul. I hail from the Hiveworkshop.com (that's here, if you didn't notice) with more writing experience in my 13 years of living than you could fit in the entire Storyboarding and Screenwriting section (which you should check and search for my stories), not to be a wanker in any way. I will happily write out things for you in terms of storyline (depends on what it is and what you want and what ideas you have about it) and/or dialogue (if any). And I most DEFINITELY will test this map. HOORAH!

Level 7
Lol, you certainly aren't restrained by a lack of self confidence. :D
I wandered over to the Storyboard forum and yes, you are right, you have a very high quality of writing especially for your young age.

However, it is important to be aware of the difference between good writing, and a good plot. Really good plots can be a bit more involved than simple straight forward stories with maybe a couple of twists.
I say this (not because I see a glaring lack in your writing or anything) because it's what I'm personally endeavoring to do with some of the stories I write, and I can see the difference between the stories I wrote as a young kid and the stories I am trying to write now.
(Gosh it's hard to remember what it was like at 13, over 6 years ago now. I just remember trying to write a full sci-fi novel lol. Got to about 20 pages.)

That's all just a simple critique/comment on your story writing, and I think that it's fairly abundant that you definitely have the potential to become a great writer especially when you develop that long term sort of outlook on your story structure/plot that goes hand in hand with the ability to actually write long stories. :)

As for RPG Myriad, just pure ability with dialogue and the like will probably be all that is needed, so you will be greatly welcomed to chip in with dialogue contributions, or even writing the dialogue for complete mini-scenes.
It all remains to be seen though...

So go deadnerzhul guy! (I'm not going to attempt to remember how to spell the D lol) Have fun blasting around the map if you like, and I'll definitely keep your name handy when its time to churn out some story for the map.

EDIT: Woot! I got a rep cookie! I soes happies. :)

Level 15
I see your point, and will respectfully stand by and wait for anything you need. And I understand the difference between good plots and good stories completely. Let's just say I'm working on trying to write long stories, but it hasn't... how shall I put it... 'turned out' how I wanted it to be. Merging my mini-chapters helps (with a few alterations that I added when I submitted The Call of War to fanfiction), but it just doesn't quite make the cut. I assume you're right about the long-term stories and plots and what-not. Thank you for your compliment!

"Unit 21415 standing by. Waiting for orders!"

Level 7
That 's what I hate most about writing stories! Lol. You have this uber awesome fantastic really great piece of story that you want to get out of your brain and onto paper for everyone else to see and marvel over, but something is always lost in translation. Grr.

I generally assume I'm right about many things too. :D

Compliments are easy and cheap to give when they're sincere. :grin:

Just be patient :D... I'll probably throw a PM your way if I'd like to grab your input on a story, or for any other reason I might want your attention.

Level 7
I asked him what his name was from in a previous post. Besides I haven't made any restrictions on freedom of speech :), all of my important stuff always goes to first post anyway, so yall could discuss the merits of pink fudge over jelly donuts for all I care.
As long as it's civil.
(Onisaiyan, probably should have used quotes lol, so ppl know)

Level 7
:D I'm feeling the love, guys. Go on oni, give him a level 10 hug.

Btw, I'm just here to update the wanted poster. *sneaky*

Level 7
hrhr sounds great, like you Alakon :D had to laugh when i read the thread :D
unfortunately i'm too busy to join your project. Maybe later when i'm ready with my entseed techtree

Level 7
Lol, had to laugh to read your edit line.

I agree with ya, misspellings are annoying and distracting, (completely hacked me off in TKoK but I usually have a good handle on it (except for i's. I was unaware that for all these years that I had actually not been shifting my i's properly, and that word just cleaned it up before I could notice.)

I guess what I really want at the moment are some modellers to do my bidding, and some GUI'ers on hold and ready to come along and take my systems that I (or someone else) invent for the game and apply it everywhere that it is needed. But I already got some team members to give me a hand with that.

However, if you do see spelling mistakes in the game, please correct them and let me know how abysmally I've been doing, and that I should burn my dictionary in shame.

Level 15
What you also need is a terrainer. Not to be rude, but you don't have the best terrain... not that I do, anyways. But a good looking game is a happy game. Seeeriously.

Level 7
Lol, that's because I actually haven't done anything to the Terrain. The big flat expanses of perfectly level grass isn't my idea of terrain.

But you are right, I need a good Terrainer as well, I just don't know if it's a good idea to start playing around too much with the Terrain before the core of the game is done, something might happen that requires a terrain change which would be annoying for terrainer.

I also have some mint ideas regarding terrain and I hope they are feasible, but I won't spoil the surprise just yet.

Level 7
Well update that! JanSze, wonderful person that he is, has volunteered to do some helping out with terrain when the time comes. I'm also crossing my fingers with one other joker, see if he shows some firm interest as well!

Level 7
Oh, lol, didn't know you were volunteering your terraining skills. You know what, the terrain board is getting crowded, so I'm afraid that till further notice my only terrainers will be either Gilles or JanSze.

The terrain shots do look nice though, and it looks like it would be a fun game. Got a bit of kick in the thrills when I saw a tiny Master Chief hiding in the grass along the cliff line. Was too cool.

Till further notice.

Level 7
Heya! I'm an evil hybrid, using both GUI and JASS to my own evil ends! Lol, I've gotten heaps better at Jass now, I can read it properly, but I'm still very amateur, it takes me a while to figure out how to do something I want.

Sidekick, although extra hands is always welcome, unfortunately much of what is going on is pretty hardcore, with lots of Jass stuff. It'd be great for you to lend a hand, but I think that by the time we get down to things that don't require Jass, it may not be too interesting.
But I'd never turn away extra help, so if there's anything you think you can help with, download the map, have a fiddle, and we'll see the result. :D

Deadnerzhul, this also applies to you, if you want to give a hand on terrain, feel free to dl and mess around. I'd just recommend waiting until the other two terrainers get back to us what they've done.

Level 7
Umph I can't open the map :(
I would like to start terraining but... I can't!
I get following errors:
(They're in german... I try to translate em to english :p)
Trigger-function does not exist in database: 45.00
Trigger-function does not exist in database: aceUnitBJ

This application has encountered a critical error:

For this task is not enough space available.

Program: c:\programme\warcraft iii\worldedit.exe
Object: .PAVCWETriggerFunction@@

Press OK to terminate the application

OK

Level 5
Sidekick, although extra hands is always welcome, unfortunately much of what is going on is pretty hardcore, with lots of Jass stuff. It'd be great for you to lend a hand, but I think that by the time we get down to things that don't require Jass, it may not be too interesting.
But I'd never turn away extra help, so if there's anything you think you can help with, download the map, have a fiddle, and we'll see the result. :D

Okay, i will download and see if i can help anywhere ;) just before i download it, have you done any Quests? I like doing Quests, i will do it if you need some, but you will need to tell me what type of quests you want.

Level 7
Nope, I haven't done any Quests, other than explanations. Quests is also an area that will undergo some modifications. However there's an Ogre in a cave up north that probably wouldn't mind a Quest, I was going to do one anyway to test the combat system so you can go ahead. :D

But the game really isn't in the stages of creating quests or stories, lot of system work to be done.

I'll tell you though, there is a point that I foresee in the future that I will need a lot of GUI level help.

JanSze - This is a common issue that Eleandor and I have both run into. It means the USMWE feature of your WE isn't enabled.
I think a failsafe way to activate is to first disable it, then restart program, then enable it, and restart once more.
When its working the little popup you get at init should be a nice big USMWE type thing, and it should say USM at the top of the WE windown next to the name. :D

Hope that clears it up!

Level 7
Ok i made it. I'm working on your terrain now :p
Working on the Desert right now

Ok I improved the terrain and I think it looks ok for now. There will be much more things and not only the generic desert sand. That's boring ;)
The "city" has become only an outpost. Ways too small. I will make it bigger later ;)

The bubbles at the 2nd oasis are ways too generic! I will fix it.

Attachments

• Screenshot001.jpg
    Screenshot001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot002.jpg
    Screenshot002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot003.jpg
    Screenshot003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot004.jpg
    Screenshot004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot009.jpg
    Screenshot009.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Level 7
Its looking great, dude! But you done the oasis' too big!!! o_O
They were only supposed to be small affairs, little ponds in a big sandy desert, when they're that size the rest of the desert doesn't feel as large. But the variety is great, and I like the little ruins you have popping all over the place, they actually suit the history of the desert (in Myriad).
Dammit. They're great lakes, but yeah, too big. :(

Actually, for now, leave the lakes as they are, they really are too cool to just wipe away, but make a bunch of smaller oasis' scattered around the place, and when I get the map, I'll make some judgement calls :D. When you do the smaller ones, can you have a little area of green around the oasis itself, like grass or something, and a couple of trees to define the 'boundary', so that its sort of like an area units can walk into, instead of around. But I'm still loving what's happening. :D
I'd write more, but I'm on my work break. I don't have much time to write at home at the moment either. :( I'll do it when I can. :D

Level 7
O.k i will make them smaller ;)
Glad you like it.
Maybe I can just make them smaller but make em cool, too :p

Level 5
ooo! Nice game, but why not make it multiplayer :D:D It would be better xD! Just a suggestion :p! Or maybe in later versions!

Level 7
Lol. It is. Just I haven't set up multiplayability on it yet because as of the moment there is no playability! :D There's HEAPS to do. And its all so cool, I'm too excited to wait till work finishes. Makes me wonder what I was thinking taking on these jobs, (though the paycheck is nice :D)

Btw, I think the only thing you need to top off your avatar is to make his head explode at the end. :D

Level 7
Terrain!

Hullo! Yesterday I decided to hop into the terraining seat and brew up a little forest as an example of basically what I'm going for in the forest area.

JanSze and Gilles the below is for you guys!

There's going to be a lot of forest around the City area, and I'd like to pack as much variety into it as possible. I'm thinking that the game camera is going to be a bit closer to home for Myriad, so the player LoS will be smaller, thus the more detail the better!

The below glade is a small example. It contains a couple of paths ostensibly going through a forest, with a small waterfall + pond, and some shrubbery.
That's a fair example of what I have in mind, but the more terrain and environment variation that you can put into an area with it still looking natural and also playable (I don't mind if you disable pathings and collisions for doodads btw).

It's a pity the terrain squares in Warcraft are so chunky. :(

Actually, I'm having trouble attaching my pics here as well, so I'm just going to put the link to the Myriad post that has them. :D

Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.