• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ROTG FFA - Devlopmental Diary Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ever wondered how a map is built up?
The planning involved?
As I continue the work on ROTGA FFA ive decided to write some very short articles about the different aspects of the maps deisgn as I am thinking them up.

After having the basic terrain made and most of the core map systems re-written I have come to the time to start thinking about the creeps, what they will be and where.

Here is my working diagrams that help me work this out:

The first diagram shows the routes I think will be the main "roads" or travel ways that units will use and can expect the heaviest travel.

Therefore any creeps based on those lines will aggro heroes a lot and be annoying,
the next diagram shows the creep locations i have decided upon denoted by red X's.

*they cant be too near a player base or they will have a renewable source of creeps rigth outside thier bases
*each player must have reasonable access to creeps
*some risk involved (distance from safezone)
*want to bring players into cntact with each other
*enough creeps
*varitey of creeps/camps

Attachments

• overhead-mainpaths.jpg
    overhead-mainpaths.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 237
  • creep map2.jpg
    creep map2.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 236
Status
Not open for further replies.