• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reworking a spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi All,

Been pondering this one for a while but I can't come to any solutions so I thought I'd get some new opinions.

So basically my map is a "defend the building" kind of map where you have various heroes to fit different roles in different ways (tanks, casters, dps, mixes). I have been adding Raid Bosses to the map as the map is highly dependant on loot from enemies, and you would get epic loot from the Raid Bosses.

So my situation, one hero in particular is overpowered, he is based on an old character from a different map of mine and he's been toned up to fit in this new map. But the problem is that he is built to have infinitely scaling Strength while his Agility infinitely de-scales, making him the perfect tank but useless on his own. Now in the normal rounds he can get overwelmed and therefore die that way, but in Raid Bosses this doesn't tend to happen, I built an aura for the Raid Bosses to help take down tanks but that just makes him stronger because of his ult. Now I'll write that down as that's what I need to rework, to make it stronger for normal rounds but weaker vs Raid Bosses.

Passively grants stacks of Hunger of time, granting more stacks at lower hit points.

Can be actively used to bite an enemy land unit, dealing damage equal to the casters missing hit points plus an amount based on his stacks of Hunger.
Additionally kills made heal the caster for the target's maximum hit points, grant him a permanent Strength bonus that increases with missing hit points, reduces Agility by 1 and sets his Hunger to 0.

I know this Ult sounds a bit mental but that's how the map is intended really, crazy abilities that do make sense (generally...). So if anyone has any suggestions for changes or a rework it would be much appreciated! :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What on earth is the point of a "tank" if raid bosses can kill it...

You will need to explain your map more clearly. Anything with permanent scaling does not really belong in an RPG unless the RPG is about using such scaling instead of conventional methods of progression.

Level 13
Legal Ease: I guess you're right really, wasn't sure whether to put in here or Idea Factory but figured this was more of a balancing issue so put it here.

Nichilus: All of these bosses have 50% spell reduction, so I had already thought of that to nerf casters a bit and to make dps' more useful.

Dr Super Good: You are right! However if alone against the Raid Boss it wouldn't win because they do have minions that could eventually overwhelm it. In terms of a map description, it was intended as a mixture of using Battle Ships weapon types in a "defend the building" map. So there are 45 creep rounds and 5 normal bosses, with various option Raid Bosses, everything can drop loot from a massive loot pool which uses colours to show rarity/strength (white, green, blue, purple, orange, teal). All enemies of each round are varied with harder enemies being rarer early game and common late game (also harder difficulties makes more of them spawn). There are a few different item types for different uses: Weapons use Pheonix Fire to shoot nearby enemies, Grenades are usable items that generally deal AoE damage (some have unique effects), Shields grant you various defencive stats (armor, spikes, absorb damage, hp regen etc), Class Mods are the most varied and grant your hero different abilities (hp, mana, armor, attack damage, attack speed, movement speed etc) and late game ones give blunt stats too (str, int, agi). In terms of gameplay you have 1 hero that has 3 passive abilities, 1 unique and 1 ultimate (ultimate scales with stats), and you defend a structure from the rounds, collecting what loot appears to make you stronger. The game is highly loot based as it is all randomly dropped so you can't truly pick a build at the start of the game. Last thing, you can swap to different heroes that have increased stats and different abilities - the one in question is one of the most powerful in the game.

As far as having infinitely scaling in the map I knew it would be a bit off somewhere, that's why I had it reduce agility in the process - giving you a hefty negative. Hope that clears it up a bit, currently I'm thinking of just removing the "Hunger" stacks entirely from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.