• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Balancing Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi,

So in my Borderlands map I decided to create some Raid Bosses. The idea of a Raid boss is that you need multiple players to defeat it.

So the problem I have is that after testing one with my friend and there's a big problem. The bosses could not defeat me (the tank) but could easily defeat him (the agility based character).

I know I can just bump it's damage even higher but I don't really want it to get to the squisher targets and kill them in 1 hit, as that would be boring for them.

So basically what suggestions do you guys have when it comes to balancing a boss that has to fight multiple different types of hero?

Level 6
Maybe your so called tank is not balanced, maybe lower his power. If you dont want agility heroes to die too easy you can add a protection spell, for example, 100% evasion for 3 seconds or invulnerability etc.

Level 13
OK to clarify... the aim of the map is that you're defending a structure from rounds of enemies. These raid bosses are just bonuses you can fight if you choose too.

So in normal rounds you can be fighting up to 100 enemies at once and both the Tank and Agility heroes can manage that and fit in well. Obviously the tank on normal rounds is a case of it being overwelmed whereas the Agility shoots from a distance and in this case had multishot to help out.

So what I'm asking is what kind of abilities can I create as "tank busters" for a raid boss?

Level 7
So basically the tank and DPS is fine against creeps.
However the tank doesn't take enough damage from the boss that it can die and will slowly kill the boss overtime
The DPS cannot tank the boss nor can it deal enough damage to kill the boss quickly before taking damage

There are multiple methods you can try.
1. Increase Boss HP regen so the tank cannot kill the boss without a DPS. Make the boss change aggro to force the tank to protect the DPS
2. Have the boss have abilities or damage type that is super effective against the tank or less damage to the DPS
3. Have the boss have slow delay AOE attacks. DPS has greater mobility so can dodge however tanks have enough HP that they can survive multiple hits
4. Boss gains bonus for each type of hero. Every tank nearby gives the boss bonus damage. Every DPS near the boss gives him more Armour/HP

The main point is that the heros are balanced and do not need to be changed. It is the boss that needs to be balance. Usually developers try to aim for diversity in a team. The purpose of a tank is to soak the damage, the purpose of the DPS is to deal damage. Balance the boss so that it cannot be defeated without a balance between tanking and DPS.

Level 13
Yeah some of those points help. The damage dealt to the DPS is fine as the boss spawns tentacles around enemies so it can spawn melee ones next to the DPS.

I was thinking of having an aura that lowers armor of nearby enemies and deals ether max hp damage or current hp damage over time.

Thanks for those tips, will be a case of trial and error I think though.

Status
Not open for further replies.