• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera Model Studio applying custom skin problem

Level 4
I wanted to apply a custom skin texture to Jaina and save it as a separate model file, but the texture doesn't load. I used Replace Textures and I though I didn't put the texture path yet. I try copying the address of the texture location and try Edit Path but still nothing. It only displays a white model. I've seen other model with custom textures that are not in the WC3 MDX directory. What am I missing here?

Attachments

• Jainia Screenshot 1.png
    Jainia Screenshot 1.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Jainia Screenshot 2.png
    Jainia Screenshot 2.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 22
RMS only looks for textures in either the mpq or CASC unless the texture is in the same folder as the model.

So if you have the custom texture in a folder and then you open Jaina and change her texture path to "custom texture.blp" then save it as a new model to the folder the custom texture is in and then load the model again itll be applied.

If you have some folder where you really want to put your custom textures and have every model find textures from there (for example, whatever folder you have Custom Skins inside of -- its parent) you can add a folder to Retera Model Studio itself that will be used for resolving textures from all models:
1687716902305.png

I doubt that very many people do that. But you mentioned "the WC3 MDX directory" and I do not know what folder that is, unless you mean the folder where your file is currently saved. So, if you wanted to load textures that are not in the same folder as them current MDX file -- or textures that would load for an unsaved file that has no associated directory -- then you can add a folder like this to the list of places that Retera Model Studio will go to look for textures [for all models].

Be advised that this also affects the lookup of more stuff than only textures, so if you put models in a folder added like this then you will be able to quick load those models from the Data Browser as if they were ingame models, too.

1687717267819.png

You can also add your Warcraft III map to the list of data sources this way, by using "Add MPQ" instead of "Add Folder". Or if your map was saved as a folder using the new Reforged "save as folder" system, you could add that folder this way as well.

Level 4
RMS only looks for textures in either the mpq or CASC unless the texture is in the same folder as the model.

So if you have the custom texture in a folder and then you open Jaina and change her texture path to "custom texture.blp" then save it as a new model to the folder the custom texture is in and then load the model again itll be applied.
Right, That's make sense... I just tested and it worked, many thanks. :grin:

If you have some folder where you really want to put your custom textures and have every model find textures from there (for example, whatever folder you have Custom Skins inside of -- its parent) you can add a folder to Retera Model Studio itself that will be used for resolving textures from all models:
1687716902305.png

I doubt that very many people do that. But you mentioned "the WC3 MDX directory" and I do not know what folder that is, unless you mean the folder where your file is currently saved. So, if you wanted to load textures that are not in the same folder as them current MDX file -- or textures that would load for an unsaved file that has no associated directory -- then you can add a folder like this to the list of places that Retera Model Studio will go to look for textures [for all models].

Be advised that this also affects the lookup of more stuff than only textures, so if you put models in a folder added like this then you will be able to quick load those models from the Data Browser as if they were ingame models, too.
Noted, What I meant by MDX directory is the WC3 mpq assets I somehow mistyped "Mpq" for "MDX" xD, but I just wanted the custom texture to work on that Jaina model alone. It is fully working now... :thumbs_up:

Last edited: