• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Reskinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Do any of you know of a tool that can quickly reskin a model?

E.g.- Load a "somemodel.mdx" file, display a list on screen of the textures used, change the paths on said textures, save and close file.

The point being that it takes several minutes to reskin stuff when all I need to do it change some paths in a file. This oucld cut that down to under a minute per.

Level 2
Well that's part of the problem, I don't want the path to just be Root: I like to put the skins in either Units\Textures\ModelName.blp or Units\UnitRace\ModelName\ModelName.blp like how Blizzard does it and so it's nice and neat. Throwing crap at root or overwriting original textures is something I hate doing.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Or...

IIRC, you can open up a model (that you want to reskin), then open the MPQ editor and find the new skin. Instead of double-clicking to load it up, you have to right-click and select "Use as Texture" (this assumes you know which texture you want, since you can't take a peek).
Then, that texture will be "imported" into the model with all the right fields; you just have to set that new Texture into the correct Material layer.

Hope that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.