• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resizing Blp Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
If I understand correctly, terrain textures only need to be 256x512. Can someone resize these 3 textures? Hopefully that would cut down on the space a little.

Attachments

• Ashen_Leaves.blp
    206.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Ashen_Rock.blp
    415.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Lords_Grass.blp
    369.1 KB · Views: 59
Level 10
well, you could also do it yourself so you know it in the future and don't have to ask anyone for help and waste time waiting. just follow these steps (just skip the Magos part) they work for any .blp. When converting the .tga back to .blp in BLP Lab you can set the compression of the .blp. For terrain tiles I often use a compression of ~60% as it does not matter due to Wc3's camera distance.

Level 13
Alright. I attempted this myself, but didn't feel like experimenting with different compression percentages.
However, these .blps also have some weird mipmaps. Optimizing the .blp texture removes them. Will that cause any issues with how it looks?

Edit: A tutorial I read says terrain tiles can only use 512x256, but this was made 512x512. I don't know whether to trim off the top half or the bottom half. I can experiment I suppose, but really this was why I posted in the first place to see if anyone had any knowledge about this. I cropped off the bottom half, and now it looks horrible. 60% compression is also a little high imo.

Last edited:
Level 10
well as far as I know there are two types of tiles: big, with more variations (often natural things like grasses) with a 2:1 resolution, and small, with less variations (dalaran tiles for example) with a 1:1 resolution. What you could try is to resize the 512x512 tile to 256x256, as it is also possible that it just has a two times bigger resolution but still is a 'small' ground texture.

EDIT: just gave it a shot, and I was right, your 512x512 tile in reality is a 256x256 type ('small') as it has only one variation, so you should be fine once you resized it to 256x256

Level 17
You can use the 512p resolution for the small tile as well and it will display the tile in full resolution not in 256p as long as it is in a correct aspect ratio.
The 512p is inherent limit of the renderer for any texture, it is not a tileset restriction.

The reason why the game doesn't use 512p for the small tileset is to keep the same pixel density on both tile types, because using 512p texture for the smaller tileset would cause it to have four times the pixel density of the bigger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.