• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Requesting someone to code a puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hello.

I'm creating the ninth chapter of The Chosen Ones campaign. I got so much job to do I decided to lighten my burden by letting someone to create a puzzle I've invented.

117758d1347179440-requesting-someone-code-puzzle-puzzzzzle.jpg

Few things first:

• I have created the terrain and regions already. You simply need to code the whole thing.
  • I would like the puzzle be created from GUI so that I can modify it later.

Mechanics:

• Player has 3 heroes under control.
  • 12 buttons(6 at each side) and 6 elevators at the middle.
  • All elevators are at stage 1 at the beginning(not walkable).
  • When a unit enters a button, it rises an elevator to stage 2(not walkable yet).
  • When correct buttons at the left and at the right are pressed, an elevator rises to stage 3 for 10 seconds(walkable now). After 10 seconds, the elevator goes down and all units that are standing in it will be teleported at the beginning(make the teleport after it has landed down, not immediately).
    • At this time player must know what two other buttons should be activate so that the unit player has chosen at the middle can move to next elevator before the elevator it's standing on goes down.
  • Only 2 elevator can be activated. If a third is activated all elevators goes down and all units at the elevators will be teleported to the beginning.
  • I have created a pattern already to win the puzzle so you just need to follow it(look the picture).
  • To win the puzzle, a unit must enter the victory region at the end of the puzzle. Also then all the elevators rise.

Questions are welcome! And if crucial questions comes I'll update this post.

(2 pictures + map attached)

As a reward I'll give you rep and credits at the campaign.

Attachments

• puzllle.jpg
    puzllle.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 167
  • puzzzzzle.jpg
    puzzzzzle.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 194
  • PUZZZZZZZLE.w3x
    15.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 25
Wow, this is taking much longer than expected.
These two are really annoying conditions:
  • After 10 seconds, the elevator goes down and all units that are standing in it will be teleported at the beginning(make the teleport after it has landed down, not immediately).
  • Only 2 elevator can be activated. If a third is activated all elevators goes down and all units at the elevators will be teleported to the beginning.

Level 25
This is taking too much time. I might get back to it later on, but don't count on it.

It works as you want, except for one bug:
the last elevator doesn't decrease its height properly.
Not such a big deal really, since by that time you reach the end to finish and probably teleport away?

Attachments

• PUZZZZZZZLE001.w3x
    27 KB · Views: 41
Level 25
Yep, got my Paladin all the way to the end.

EDIT: Just tried again, got him to green and back down to yellow before the green elevator's bug activated the auto teleport.

Guess I'll give it a few more minutes, don't like leaving things unfinished I guess..

EDIT2: Found the bug! One switch had 2 events associated with it.

Works as intended now.

Attachments

• PUZZZZZZZLE002.w3x
    27.7 KB · Views: 31
Level 37
Hey,

Okay now. When I started my third elevator, the paladin is teleported at the beginning. I changed the timer from 10 to 20 seconds so that even retarded as I am can actually finish the thing. Either I'm one or there's something wrong. I wonder what is it?

Attachments

• Maybe bug.w3g
    8.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PUZZZZZZZLE002.w3x
    27.7 KB · Views: 36
Level 8
the way the concept is right now, its way to hard to figure it out... if each elevator stays at walkable high for 10 seconds, and you require both heroes, specific switch one at each side to get 1 elevator walkable and then you have 10 seconds only to order to heroes to two specific switches, which is virtually impossible you remember by heart.. i find this... disturbing.. maybe increase time limit, make a timer appear near the elevator..

Level 14
The puzzle is rather nerve-wracking, mostly due to its size and the timing needed to turn on the switches. I would suggest decreasing the number of elevators to reduce having to scroll to the places where the heroes need to move and/or keeping the camera distance far away. Making the puzzle horizontal might also help with the size issue.

For the timing, making the period longer would be good but it would also be nice to deactivate an elevator after the hero left it to prevent the no 3 elevator rule from resetting the puzzle.

@rulerofiron99: You forgot to add the victory stuff though that should be easier than the puzzle to implement. :p

Level 25

In the replay, you activated the third elevator before the first elevator went down, hence, as per the specifications, all units at the elevators were teleported back.

Retested myself to confirm this.

Here, because I'm so kind I've changed the "max elevators" into a configurable integer variable, which is currently set to 3.

PS: Almost forgot,
Does it work now?

Yes. It works as intended.

Attachments

• PUZZZZZZZLE003.w3x
    27.8 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.