• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Trigger] Request- Can you make neat looking spells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I'm working on a project that's been consuming the last 3 1/2 months of my time- Against the Darkness. I'm currently in the end stages of beta testing, and would really like to cap this map off with some nice LOOKING, but not necessarily advanced, spells. I'm basically fine with the spells that I have, with the exception of a few.

So basically, I was wondering if someone would want to partner with me in the end stages of this map to help polish the spells up and help with ideas for maybe 2 ultimate abilities. I really could probably even just listen to you and do them on my own, and I DO NOT need help with the actual map, just simply the abilities!

If you are interested so far, let me know and I'll send you a summary of what my map is, what it's about, etc. :spell_breaker: -NiTe

Level 7
Well, I can tell you what kind of ultimate you could do. I know a good way to make a nice and easy "Stop Time" if you want...

Well, that is just an idea...
Tell me your hero and their background and I'll try to find a good ability with them...

Level 18
Well, I can tell you what kind of ultimate you could do. I know a good way to make a nice and easy "Stop Time" if you want...

Well, that is just an idea...
Tell me your hero and their background and I'll try to find a good ability with them...

i've heard of "stop time" before, but what exactly does this do?

and i'm looking for help on an ability for a Nature Mage, who has abilities comparable to forked lightning, serpent ward, and divine shield (just prettier versions of them... (except 'heat lightning' is basically the same as normal old forked lightning, except changed values)

the thing is, i don't really care as much about super ingenious abilities, just that they work well and balanced, look neat, and that the ultimates are worth getting. (which the Nature Mage's isn't as of now) He has an ultimate called Leviathan which is just like Pheonix, and is the most boring ability in my map. Save me with a spell that wont lag, and that sticks to the idea of Nature?

If you can do this, I have a few more requests such as;

-attatching a special effect (starfall, caster) to a building so it is positioned directly over it. i can't find which attatchment point works for this.

-creating an ultimate ability for the Frost Archer, who has abilities comparable (but definitely not the same as) to Frost Nova, Wind Walk, and Bash.

-creating an ultimate ability for the Scientist (who is like a Tinker) and is basically the big, bad, meat shield melee hero who has abilities like War Stomp, Mirror Image, and Blizzard.

-helping make the "Sun Totem" ultimate ability look more interesting for the Medicine Doctor. (this ability gives 5% AOE heal and has 50 something chaos damage)

-creating a few better trigger enhanced abilities, for I have some- but I would like to make them a little more advanced.

Keep in mind I'm saying their abilities are LIKE the ones listed, but not them at all. Just based off of and resembling their effects. My map IS NOT ability based, so like I said above I would just like to make these look a little more neat, not come up with the most exclusive, badass abilities in wc3.

Any takers?

Level 7
For the Stop time you only need an "Unit Group" Variable and nothing else. Call it as you like but I'd call it StopUnits. No other group are necesarry cause no other unit will be able to use the ability as they will be stuck too.

Use the ability Thunder Clap and change the values to make it damageless.

Now in a Trigger do this:

Event
A unit (Finnish casting an ability)
Condition
(Ability being cast) Equal to (Your ability based on Thunderclap)
Actions
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in(Playable map area)) and do (Unit Group - Add (Picked Unit) to (StopUnits))
Unit Group - Remove (Casting Unit) from (StopUnits)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Animation - Change (Picked Unit)'s animation speed to 0.00% of its original speed)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Unit - Pause (Picked Unit))
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Unit - Pause the expiration timer for (Picked Unit))
Wait (Duration of the Stop Time ability you want) seconds
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Unit - Unpause (Picked Unit))
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Unit - Unpause the expiration timer for (Picked Unit))
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Stop Units) and do (Animation - Change (Picked Unit)'s animation speed to 100.00% of its original speed)
Unit Group - Remvoe all units from (StopUnits)

Is that simple enough? All unit will be frozen in time and they won't move.
The only problem of this ability is map with spawning Trigger that have to be stopped during the ability. But most of them always find a way out.

This ability could be great as an ultimate for you Scientist...

But I'd try to find a good Nature Based ability for your Nature Mage...
If you try my "Stop Time" I'd like that you tell me if it work well.

Level 18
Yes, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading exactly what it does. I really like that ablity, I think it'd fit great with the Scientist. The only thing is can it be made to be multiinstanceable without having to make 8 seperate triggers(number of players) and 1 variable for each of those triggers?

Last edited:
Level 18
That is what I said. It's nice! The time stop is always multi-instanceabel cause if someone use it, the other will be stopped and won't be able to use it there self until they are "destopped".

I don't think so though... I see what you're saying since it's in the Playable Map Area, but I would rather have it as an AOE area... which I could easily change. Stopping time for the entire map wouldn't be effective since it would basically stop the game for everyone (including your allies) except the casting Scientist. I didn't review this trigger enough before commenting on it, sorry. Nevertheless, I would still like to use it. So, if I do just want to make it AOE and only affect ENEMY units.. could you make it to be made to be multi-instanceable without having to make 8 individual triggers and variables? Or would I just have to go on and make a tigger for each player? I hope you understood all that :eekani:

Level 7
Wouldnt Stop Time be possible without triggers at all, if you based it on Thunder Clap made the Area of Effect what you wanted, made movement slowing and attack speed slowing to 100%, changed the buffs and all and time of effect, wouldnt that be easier than using triggers?

As for the Nature guy why not an ability that could be based of Doom just edit the buffs and unit spawning, or perhaps something like the healing ward but that you make the healing ability negative(- before how much healed, you must hold in shift while clicking to do this) and call it something like Natural Decay(then you must also make the ability target enemies instead of allies).

And why not give the Frost Archer someything like Frost Nova, but make it damageless and movement speed reduction to 100% and call it Frost Prison?

Christers

Level 7
LOL! Christers is completely right!

I never tough of it^^. Nice Idea, but with the trigger we can completely stop their movements, making them look like statu and they can't attack anymore.

Your spell could be more a "Slow Time". And would be an AOE as well.

Level 18
LOL! Christers is completely right!

I never tough of it^^. Nice Idea, but with the trigger we can completely stop their movements, making them look like statu and they can't attack anymore.

Your spell could be more a "Slow Time". And would be an AOE as well.

Wouldnt Stop Time be possible without triggers at all, if you based it on Thunder Clap made the Area of Effect what you wanted, made movement slowing and attack speed slowing to 100%, changed the buffs and all and time of effect, wouldnt that be easier than using triggers?

As for the Nature guy why not an ability that could be based of Doom just edit the buffs and unit spawning, or perhaps something like the healing ward but that you make the healing ability negative(- before how much healed, you must hold in shift while clicking to do this) and call it something like Natural Decay(then you must also make the ability target enemies instead of allies).

And why not give the Frost Archer someything like Frost Nova, but make it damageless and movement speed reduction to 100% and call it Frost Prison?

Christers

I actually really like these ideas, and you are completely right about stop time haha. Frost Prison is kind of basic for an Ultimate... could you think of anything else to add to it? And as far as the Doom-like ability... this wouldn't work because the DK other than himself, only has spawns.. and dooming the DK would be kind of cheap. But as for the negative ward idea, it's an interesting idea except i'm not sure if i'd want to have 2 ward ultimates. Maybe I could base it off of Tranquility or something.

Level 7
I have an idea for your nature mage, but badly it don't fit well for a Ultimate... Here it is:

Absorbtion Roots:
Roots a friendly target, or even the Nature Mage himself, imoblizing it for 10 seconds healing 100 Hits point per seconds. The target will still be able to use spells.

You just have to use the spell Etengling roots and modify the cooldown, the mana cost, the damage and the duration. You would put the duration to 10 and the damage to a negative value (-100).

Well, that is just an idea. It could be something else...

Level 7
I actually really like these ideas, and you are completely right about stop time haha. Frost Prison is kind of basic for an Ultimate... could you think of anything else to add to it? And as far as the Doom-like ability... this wouldn't work because the DK other than himself, only has spawns.. and dooming the DK would be kind of cheap. But as for the negative ward idea, it's an interesting idea except i'm not sure if i'd want to have 2 ward ultimates. Maybe I could base it off of Tranquility or something.

What about Aura of Freeze for Frost Archer, which make all enemies within a small range(300 perhaps) have reduced Move and Attack Speed, just base of Endurance Aura, change the model, make it only affect enemies and turn the bonus to negative.

Christers

Level 1
hey i was reading this and i got a thought....why dont u make a final like starfall but it looks like tranquility....because tranquility looks like green rain why dont u name it acid rain.......its just a thought but it sounds pretty cool :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Well, i can help you if you like. I love to create spells, ive created knockbakcs, buffs, all kinds of stuff. I crated a omnislash as well :0. If u need my help let me know and ill try with the best of my ability to produce effecient spells.

Level 3
Sure ill help

im not usre if ive double posted so ifi ahve im sorry.
Well i can help u if u want i started creating custom spells (kncokbacks, chain buffs, TIME STOPS, etc.) and i think i could help you.
:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 18
hey i was reading this and i got a thought....why dont u make a final like starfall but it looks like tranquility....because tranquility looks like green rain why dont u name it acid rain.......its just a thought but it sounds pretty cool :thumbs_up:

This is really weird that you said that! When I was just taking a shower I had been thinkin a little about it and I thought... do a rain effect and call it Acid Rain and just have it do negative healing. I also thought about maybe the occasional lightning bolt that would harm a unit within the AOE.

im not usre if ive double posted so ifi ahve im sorry.
Well i can help u if u want i started creating custom spells (kncokbacks, chain buffs, TIME STOPS, etc.) and i think i could help you.
:infl_thumbs_up:

I can use all the help that I can get. What do you have in mind? Do you need to see the map sometime first? Or at least know what it's about.

Last edited:
Level 1
Stop time

i guess the easies way to do this is by using action pause all than unpause caster after o.1 sec and than wait a few sec and than unpause all i guess this should be easier

Level 8
for the frost archer, you should do that that guy said and make a frost prison type spell with a giant block of ice where the frozen units are. Then it shatters and does a fan of knives type effect which could slow the units (not sure if thats possible)
You could have the archer like shoot an arrow into it which causes it to shatter

Nevermind, you finished it :(

Last edited:
Level 8
This is really weird that you said that! When I was just taking a shower I had been thinkin a little about it and I thought... do a rain effect and call it Acid Rain and just have it do negative healing. I also thought about maybe the occasional lightning bolt that would harm a unit within the AOE.

You should also have it reduce armor, like it makes them more vulnerable to attacks =D

Level 18
for the frost archer, you should do that that guy said and make a frost prison type spell with a giant block of ice where the frozen units are. Then it shatters and does a fan of knives type effect which could slow the units (not sure if thats possible)
You could have the archer like shoot an arrow into it which causes it to shatter

Nevermind, you finished it :(

this is a good idea, and no i only finished stop time, not the frozen archers ability. i need happytauren to help me!

Level 4
this is an spell i've just recently made for my map and i think it might work for ur nature dude although u may want to play around with it a bit..

the basic idea is it an ae multi-chain lighting. its pretty simple it makes x amount of dummy units that have chain lighting which cast it on the nearest foe if there is one

Status
Not open for further replies.