• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] The hardest spells for me: arrows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have purposely put off doing spells for my Ranger archetype in my map because I know arrow spells will be a huge pain in the ass for me. Is there a way for me to see how buff-placer effects in DotA work, like fire spear (Huskar) or impetus (Enchantress).

Basically I want it to look like the spell is a modification of the Ranger's normal attack, but much of it will probably be triggered. I really don't want to base the abilities on autocast spells. And the hardest part: the missles would be really nice if they followed the arc of a standard attack.

If someone could show me how the fire spear from Huskar works (it looks like a normal orb effect autoattack, but I'm pretty sure the stacking magic damage is totally triggered) that would be a big help.

You will base your ability on poison arrows. Since poison arrow have by default a buff, you will be able of detecting the buff placer on the enemy unit. Now you will make a damage detection system, another trigger that detects if it's an autocast activation and another with a Unit starts the effect of an ability, if you manually casted your ability.
  • Trigger
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Burning arrows
  • Trigger1
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit is issued an order with no target
  • Conditions
    • (Level of (Burning arrows) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 0
    • (Issued order) Equal to (order(poisonarrows))
for the "Starts the effect of an ability" part, you can also use
  • Trigger2
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit is issued an order targeting an object
  • Conditions
    • (Issued order) Equal to (order(poisonarrowstarg))
In all triggers PLUS the damage detection system, which I didn't write, I hope you know how to make one, you will use a condition, to check if the Triggering unit or the Target unit of issued order or the Target unit of ability being cast (all those event responses have to do with the triggers I gave you, except for the Triggering unit that is related to the Damage Detection system) has the buff (Burning Spears) and you will need a formula that will damage the enemy, only if the damage source's life is greater than 100. If it's not, set ((Mana of (Damage source)) + (the mana required for the ability)), so that the basic mana removal of the ability is replenished back.
For DotA, the formula for the damage is (4 + (2*(Level of Burning Spears for (Damage Source))). So, that's it actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.