• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Please Help me with 2 spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello people, im new to the forums and map editing and all that. I need two spells for a little map im messing with. Im trying to make a Devour spell for a hero. But i cant get it to work, and i cant edit like the damage the spell does. Im a newbie with all this stuff, so could someone help me, or post a link to Devour spells. Id like both for heroes, one that works on Heroes, and the other that works like normal devour but has different levels.

Level 10
to make it into a hero ability is simple:

Just look for the the "Is Hero Ability" lable on the devour ability in object editor, then double click that and check the little box.

To change the damage and durration is not simple at all...

you can make this 2 ways, 1 easier way (i suggest this way) or a much harder a more complicated way. the easier way will not have the i con of the unit on the caster's menu, the harder way might.

HARD WAY-
you would havbe to go into trigger editor , hide target and make it so when unit casts the spell it targets a dummy, with the same iocon, and after a certain amount of time unhide unit and deal x amount of damage....

EASY WAY-
create a dummy unit that has hp = the durration of the spell and give it -1 hp generation. and perioticly move the dummy to position of triggering unit.

hope thats not too complicated (tell me if u need a more specific post)

~iplaystarcraft

Level 2
Its not that i dont know how to make it a hero ability, its when i do, the ability wont work, i cant target anything with it. And yes you will have to explain more specific, im completely new and unexperienced with this sort of thing. I dont know anything about triggers really either, im really new to this. If you could help more id highly appreciate it. Thanks

Level 10
ok here is how to do it step by step but first i will solve the problem with the devour hero ability. Just Base it off storm bolt and make it meele with .01 stun and no missle art.

**HOW TO MAKE DUMMY UNITS**
first edit a footman so he has no attack no shadow no food cost a devour spell, change the dummy's hp to how long you want the spell to last then set it's hp regen to -1 *to do this go to preferences and click "allow negative intergers in object editor" and then finnaly set his modle to None *to do this click custom at the very bottom and type None*

btw for this next part the words surrounded by the *( )* are just tips

***FOR THIS TRIGGER YOU NEED TO MAKE TWO VARIABLES***
Variables- Make 2 variables
Variable 1- click the green X at the top of trigger editor and click new variable. then name it CasterVar and click the menu bar and select unit.
Variable 2-do the same as variable 1 except name it TargetVar.

**THE TRIGGER**

Event-
Unit Starts the effect of ability *(found under the generic unit event)*
Conditions-
Ability being Cast Equal To *YourAbility* *(under the ability comparison condiotion)*
Actions-
Set Variable- Set CasterVar = Triggering Unit *(near the top of actions list)*
Unit-Create 1 *dummy unit* for owner of triggering unit at Position of CasterVar facing default building degree *(under unit action)*
Set Variable- Set TargetVar = last created unit *(near the top of actions list)*
Unit-Issue*(Unit)* TargetVar to devour *(it uses your dummy spell)* TargetVar *(Unit)* *(under Unit Actions)*

***THIS NEXT PART WILL BE ANOTHER TRIGGER YOU MUST MAKE***

Event-
Periotic Time- .01 *(under time actions)*
Condition-
No Coditions
Actions-
Unit-Move *(Unit)* Target (Instantly) Position of *(Unit)* Caster

whew

~iplaystacraft

Level 2
cool, ill try and fiddle with this stuff tommorow, but how does basing devour off storm bolt make it work, then it would work the way devour does

Level 2
can't you edit the Devour dps @ the Devour Cargo ability? just give the Devour and the edited Devour Cargo to your hero.
pS: the devour cargo must be Normal ability, not Hero ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.