• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Yet more devour questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Arg So I've got a couple goals for this ability. First to let it devour more than one target and I've tried to go about this a couple ways.

First I tried increasing the capacity of the devour cargo hold. It was already 2 by default though and changing it to 8 didn't help. It seems that the devour ability is deactivated by something, Im assuming the devour cargo ability until it is finished.

Then I tried making another custom devour ability with another custom devour cargo ability, however I cant figure out how to link the custom devour ability to the custom devour cargo... It still links to the original devour cargo.

Are there any triggers or scripts to add units to a cargo?

Level 7
My suggestion would be to keep an array of units "being devoured," perhaps hiding them and doing damage over time. Also keep a parallel array to keep track of WHO is devouring them so you can apply unit damage to them (so the EXP counts).

Can't do this with hidden units? No problem. Make an array of reals as well that would keep track of the HP of the currently-being-devoured unit, then unhide that unit when that real reaches 0 and have the unit trigger-damage the victim for its entire HP (so it kills the unit and gives EXP).

EDIT: Don't forget to move the victim unit to the position of the devouring unit when you finish devouring.

Level 3
wont work with a zepplin or regular cargo since you must control the units that you target to load them on....

And that last suggestion.... What?!

I like the ability of the devour ability to show the units inside it. And I'd like to preserve this. Is there any way to get at the script of devour?

Level 3
I'll try that enemy targeting but I dont think it will help.

I just did think of one thing though... The charm ability and the posses ability give you control over an enemy unit. Im thinking I could work from that angle and maybe make the cargo idea work.

What exactly are the specifics of this dummy casting I hear about? and the hide/unhide actions do they take away selectability as well?

Level 7
Dummy casters are basically units you spawn that are unselectable (has the locust ability), invisible (no model), and invincible. You use them to cast spells (as a part of a bigger, triggered spell). For example, to do a mass polymorph ability, I'd use dummy casters to cast polymorph on each individual target enemy unit.

Hide basically removes the unit from the game, the game cannot detect it and such unless you unhide it. You cannot see nor select the unit.

Level 3
I solved this eventually. New custom ability based on charm. Named it devour and changed icon etc, Event triggers on its casting then starts the ability load goblin zepplins from the same unit. Then switches the character back to its original team. Then apply damage through triggers etc. Bam seemingly bigger "stomach" for devour

Status
Not open for further replies.