• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Replacement for the hero abilities system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've searched, quite a bit, and have yet to find this:

I'm looking for a replacement to the hero abilities system which looks like the regular ability system, but allows more abilities.

I want, as with any normal hero, to have the button used to choose the skill to level up, with the number that says how many skill points are available.

I know I can probably do that with a spellbook - change the icon to make it match the normal abilities one, but I have no clue how to make the number of skillpoints appear next to it.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Also, comments about details I might miss will be welcome. For example, does it matter if the spells are hero spells or not? seems to be you can still have levels either way, but I want to make sure it won't make too much of a difference.

Level 2
Hello. Could someone delete or lock this? I've looked around and came across a thread where someone said what I want can't be done. I'm inclined to believe him.

If someone else is interested in such a system, the easiest way to get this done (in my opinion) is with two spellbooks, modifying this system

A much more complex system
can be used to add a panel with the spells, although it would require a lot more time to understand this system

Level 10
I've looked around and came across a thread where someone said what I want can't be done. I'm inclined to believe him.

I honestly believe that it can be done, what wasn't possible in the past could be possible now. But honestly, we will require some workarounds for that:

It is mostly right that you cannot have an ability with almost freely modifyable values. For example flare changeable by level increase is not really feasable due to bugged behaviour of the charge count. Above that it is a point target ability.

What you can change freely -and- response to is buyable units. You can add to the hero a stock buy option for a unit and get the selling unit. And you can freely change the buy stock amount. Maps like pokemon world did that to create triggered spells woth proper tooltips when it was still a ROC map where you couldn't edit skills wothout importing stuff in your map. You can remove the dummy from the hero and add a normal ability when no skill point is left.
You can emulate skill points on a hero icon at the top left border by giving the hero a only hero ability a dummy ability that you disable. Thus you can add unusable skill points only to have a visualisation at the top left border of skill points.

Now, how you react to the buying of a unit is twofold.
The first option is to open a dummy unit with the respectable skills to choose. That is an akward approach because you loose selection of the hero. And returning to the hero could only be done with a delay in multiplayer.

Now, the second approach is to force the plaxer a hotkey assigned to a spellbook ability on a hidden command card position. I don't know honestly if that will work and the finetuning to prevebt abuse need to be investigated, but i could think of this as a feasable optiion if you can open spellbooks reliably over force hotkey.

So honestly, i think that this is doable, just pretty worki-intensive and noone done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.