1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[RenderEdge] Memory Hack

Discussion in 'The Lab' started by ENAleksey, Oct 9, 2017.

1. EdgeOfChaos

EdgeOfChaos

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Right at the top of opening post, which is obviously the post that I'm talking about...
    Oh would you look at that. If you're going to be a bitch, make sure you're right at least.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Obviously the post hasn't been updated. It seems you have not kept up on development on Memory API. It's totally possible, but only a chinese mapper has gone through the pain of restructuring each memory function, (for his sake, I hope he programmed a recompiler for them himself)

Point is, you don't know what script I'm referring to. You have outdated information, don't pretend like you're up to date on this kind of thing idiot.

3. EdgeOfChaos

EdgeOfChaos

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well then, I wonder why everyone in this post is discussing playing on the old patch.. :hmm:

You really are one aggressive little man, huh?

And you want to know something more? Even if I'm completely wrong and memory hack works flawlessly on the most recent patch - what I said still applies. Because there will be more WC3 patches. At the very least, the patches will break parts of it (see: dota LOD, ability selection was completely broken for a month in new patch) or removed entirely. And then the option will still be exactly what I said - either forget about it, or play on an old patch. Luckily no one besides dota lod maker cares about this hack (and that's because he discovered it, so he wanted to use it I guess), so it won't break much, but still.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  4. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's really just a question of "Do we adopt the new war3 patch?" For many people developing Memory, the answer is no. The same axeman that severed Memory's head is going to blindly swing again at it sooner or later, it's really just whether we think its worth our time or not.

Is it worth your time? Do you wanna put in 40 hours just to do what you used to already be able to do? Go ahead, be my guest and play Blizzard's puzzle game. I think leandrotp may still be working on dynamic offset allocation, which would allow for much more 1.28 and beyond Memory support. Until then, 1.28 isn't worth the effort and risk, its a shitpatch, hosted on a shitserver. If you aren't aware of the memes Activision-Blizzard is capable of, then be the brave one and hatch me some new offsets mah boi.

5. ENAleksey

ENAleksey

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:

Update v1.0.5a

• Added EditTooltip function;
    • Updated FpCall library: added fast_call, std_call and this_call functions;
    • Removed functions like EditMinimapPixel, use EditMinimap(..., FromPixelX(x), FromPixelY(y), ...) instead.
    War3 2017-12-12 14-48-57-81.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. jai

jai

Resources:
    Resources:
    command button cd`s scale at btn+0x1A4 (float)

7. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Please don't judge others by your own standards. Just because you and a subgroup of the community prefers 1.26 doesn't mean "everyone" does. For once, ladder games still outnumber custom games iirc, and those will be on latest patch. Then, the "usual" European/american wc3 player uses battle.net or some *open* pvpgn like eurobattle, which are all on 1.28. Mostly russian and asian communities with closed servers like garena and other pvpgns use 1.26 which we eu/americas players can't even connect to.

And again, look at the popular maps being played. Maybe 2-3 even use memhack in a meaningful way, like the dota with d2-like features. Others don#t use it at all or just things that could also be achieved in other ways.
    As I always said: "No map gets automatically better just by using XY", xy in this case being memhack. It's how you use it to create a better gameplay experience.

In the end me and many others I know *don't* deem it worth it to rely on "some hack", that is btw insecure, for some features we learned to live without, just to be forced to use 1.26.
    Sure it is annoying to hit wc3's boundaries, but even if I had the functionality available via memhack at that time, the map's overall fun and gameplay wouldn't have been affected much imho.
    If the game was pronounced dead by blizzard and communities weren't split between patches, this would make more sense. But as there are new patches bound to come, I just don't see the point.

8. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's a proposal to use it until one of the patches adds new api.

Its really easy to use Memory's API, and thinking of useful applications of it is easy too if you're creative. If it was still possible for you to play with people on Garena through EntHosting, I'd still be on bnet no doubt. But ever since that hasn't been the case, the community has been pretty divided.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  9. ENAleksey

ENAleksey

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Yes I know. However, the cooldown is not just a frame, it's a model. Therefore, it's not possible to change its width and height separately, first I need to find a function that creates a projection matrix for the interface elements like the cooldown, a clock and particles around the icon of hero.

10. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Keep in mind just previewing a map can be fatal below 1.28, the risks vastly outweigh the benefits while latest update allows mapmakers to do almost anything they want/can anyways with the exception of a few things that barely if at all affect gameplay. Hopefully everyone who decided to switch to memorymaking in wc3 remembers to list the risks for their players if they get any at all.

11. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like the inherent risk when you run any software? A couple people probably lost trust in War3's VM as a result of the 1.24 hackery, shame. If all the stars align, there will land a single malicious person in the 1.26 community. (or forbid on live bnet) These scaretactics just kind of perpetuates people not trusting the game engine, especially when vulnerabilities STILL exist in it.

12. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am sure all software can run user-specified bytecode on your system without additional permissions. That's exactly what happens when I play DOTA or CS:GO :eyeroll: not even close

Look, stop trying to make a case for it with "like thats gonna happen!" mentality, because it is the stupidest way to argue for your case when people can see through it (I could as well say that posting credit card info on a deserted forum is also unlikely to be abused, arguing the same way that you do, and everyone would understand that's dumb).

Instead, just say, the risks are there, and we know about it, so we just hope we won't get fucked over it based on our previous experiences. That's the only honest way to go about it, really. Everything else is trying to coerce people to think that something won't happen because reasons.

I didn't get ran over by a car, and it's a small chance I will be. So I will stop looking left and right as I pass the streets, because hey, the chances of getting ran over by a car are slim anyways, so if I up them a bit by not taking care to prevent it, it's still low, right?

13. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bashing on 1.26 when 1.28 has the SAME exploit (simply needed new way of execution) just makes you seem disingenuous about the problems in our community and how we can work together to fix them.

No. If you wanted to be accurate, you would see 1.26 and 1.28 as two separate roads. You should look both left AND right before walking across either road. Never have I been advocating blindly trusting maps, and yet you strawman me in this way. In fact it is YOU insisting not to look both ways before crossing the street with 1.28, assuming maps running on it can blindly be trusted.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  14. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Must be really fun to conjure things in your head that I didn't say.

15. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    When you're putting 100% of the focus on a single patch, yeah. You are almost certainly ignorant of the vulnerabilities of 1.28. Luckily, no one has tried spreading viruses to you through 1.28 ^^

So, if 1.28 and 1.26 are as vulnerable as the other, why default to one? Better API. The nice libs that have been written in 1.26 have not been translated to 1.28 yet because the architecture is bound to change again.

16. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Version 1.26 and sub exploit techniques are more well known, making it statistically more dangerous. I am not even playing wc3 online atm, but if you have to play wc3 online, then 1.28 is safer (not safe by any means) at the moment.

17. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is no "safer" if the exploit exists on both platforms , they are both equally at risk. But I'm sure you know what it takes for one of these to be made, right? Surely bytecode between two patches of the same VM differ VASTLY. Of course not. If someone wanted to infect users on 1.28, they would do it. It's not accurate to imply it hasn't happened on 1.28 yet because it's safer....

18. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are hardly two things that are equal in the statistical world, that are not absolute extremes, unless your "equally" is binary, with 0 for "can't get infected" and 1 for "can get infected".

Yes, anyone motivated enough could do a similar thing on both patches. But there's more readily available information on how to do it on the old patches, reducing the amount of effort required by someone to do it. As of now, both are unsafe.

But it is accurate to say that you're either not reading what other people are typing, can't understand what's being said, or just want to, again, conjure things nobody has even said.

19. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    factually incorrect.

What specifically have I said that implies this? Contest something and stop being vague.
    Couldn't be further from anything relevant.. you're the one who isn't understanding, and each comment you give is indicating so.

20. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Most things you think I have said, which I didn't. I quoted you numerous times to ask you where did I say particular things, which you mostly just ignored.

Also, it's ridiculous to think that there's more info online on how to hack a more recent patch, than an old patch (of relevant age, that is still used). This is almost never the case for anything.

Welp, I think I shouldn't argue with someone who calls the opposition "retard croneys" and puts words into my mouth which I never said.

Therefore, goodbye.