• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Removing death sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Ok, I've been searching for info about how to remove the death sound of 1 of my units and I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

What I've done so far:
-I've downloaded the Warcraft III Viewer and the War3 Model Editor
-I've used the Warcraft III Viewer to export the base model (Jaina) files 'Jaina.mdx' and 'Jaina_portrait.mdx' to a created folder (named it Models) in the Warcraft III folder.
-I opened the copy 'Jaina1.mdx' in the Wac3 Model Editor, removed the death sound, and saved it again to 'Jaina1.mdx'.

The problem is that when I import the model Jaina1.mdx to my map, and set it as model for my unit, it doesn't show a model at all!
Now I've heared that there is also a .mdl used for models, and that there are .bpl files used for this too, but I have no idea if and how to add those to my model.

So my question is: How do I get my model copy to realy show the model, and how do I add the portrait to it?

hmm, as long as you don't change the image paths, it should actually appear. Did you reloaded the map afterwards?

and to add a portrait, you need a portrait model. for example lets say that your model's path is Mymodel\jaina1.mdx, then you need to import a portrait model to this path, Mymodel\jaina1_Portrait.mdx, that's how it works.

Oh and to remove the death sound, you need to either change it or remove it's event object. Look for an SND event object that triggers at death anim, it should be death sound.

Level 18
Well, like I said, I only made a copy of Jaina.mdx and called it Jaina1.mdx (same with her portrait) and removed her death sound with the War3 Model Editor. Then I imported Jaina1.mdx and Jaina1_portrait.mdx, and changed the model of the unit from Jaina to war3mapImported\Jaina1.mdx.

As said above, I done that, but it doesn't show a model nor a portrait. The portrait will probably be fixed when I fix the model.

Done.

I did however just discovered that when I change the model in the Object Editor to Jaina1.mdx, it automaticly changes to Jaina1.mdl. Could this be the cause, or is this normal?

Level 18
Ok, I've used this tutorial, but no luck. I still get to see just the shadow. I don't see a model nor a portrait. And yes, I have restarted the World Editor completely, both when I imported the files and when i put them as model in the Object Editor (just to be sure).

I'll attach a .rar with the imported files and the map. Maybe that can help you see what I did wrong.

Attachments

• Part 1 - Prologue.w3x
    434.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Jaina1.rar
    159 KB · Views: 71
Level 18
What the...?
I just opened my Import Manager and all file sizes (those are just the models of Jaina and another where I wanted to remove the death sound) are set to 0 KB! How is this possible?

About the model changes, I just used the Warcraft III Viewer, opened the files 1 by 1, right-click and Extract them to a folder in the Warcraft III folder as Jaina1.MDX, Jaina1_portrait.MDX and Jaina1.BLP. Then I opened Jaina1.MDX in the War3 Model Editor, went to 'Windows' --> 'Node Manager', dubble-clicked the SNDXDJAN (Sound JainaDeath) and removed the Event Track at DJAN (JainaDeath). Then I saved it on the copy I made with the Warcraft III Viewer (Jaina1.MDX). Jaina1_portrait.MDX and Jaina1.BLP are not changed.
Then I simply went to the Import Manager of my map, imported the files (which showed regular file sizes there), changed paths to 'Jaina1.MDX' instead of 'war3mapImported/Jaina1.MDX', closed the entire World Editor, started it again, opened my map, set the model of the unit I wanted to change to Jaina1.MDX (which then appeared in the list as Jaina1.mdl), restarted the World Editor again (just to be sure) and tested the map, where the unit appeared without a model or portrait.

PS: I also think that 1 of my trigger repeats itself with a few seconds delay (so you see 1 action and a few seconds later you see the same action again) when I set this custom model on the unit. When I use the default model, it doesn't seem to have this problem. Maybe it is related to the failure of showing the model.

EDIT: Forget about that PS part. That also seems to happen with the regular models, so I'll post that problem in the World Editor Help Zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.