• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Remodeling Doom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Last night me and Fyre-Storm discussed potential ways to make Doom more interesting, fun, and balanced. We talked about several possibilities ranging from making Burning Fiends melee to giving them net abilities to trap Hunters, to concentrating less on mass units and more on units with trapping-type abilities. There are several possibilities and we both agreed that the current Doom is probably much different than it will be once Against the Darkness is complete. So what can be done to make Doom better? To make it more fun and more interesting? Any ideas, small or large, are welcome!

Level 4
there was once the idea to implement different death knights, if u do so, maybe u could change the doom corresponding to the death knight.

but i don't like the idea of the trapping ability, once (a hunter got) stucked, the death knight player would circle the hero and so.. (instant) death for the hunter.

but maybe adding some kind of skill, like "confusing". a fiend would sacrifice itself to confuse an enemy, like slowing down speed by 5% and order the hunter to move to the exact opposite direction for 1 second.

either way (traps or confusing) it should be limited.. like only usable once.. or something like that.

Level 18
We have been discussing the idea of having more than one Death Knight that Player 11 could choose from a lot lately. At first it sounded like a great idea... then it didn't... then it did.... now it doesn't again. I think I am going to settle on keeping the Death Knight in order to keep the same original gameplay, story, and concept. Also the idea of having any type of minions that respawn to server the Death Knight does not fit in AtD. Leave that for Vampirism :p

Level 8
I'm not sure if RtC will really boost up how many people play it. After all, RtC requires that you have the mod installed, and only a few people know about it. RtC, while being possibly the greatest thing to come to Warcraft, might not be the greatest thing to bring to this project.

Level 18
*BUMP w/ update*

I'm considering implementing Saiyuki's idea where a necrofiend can sacrifice itself in order to temporarily trap/confuse a Death Hunter. However, this means that the Death Hunters will be starting to get severely underpowered in Doom (considering everything that they go up against). Should forces of light come in at the end of the Doom countdown instead of Doom just being over? Then the Death Knight could still kill all of the Hunters to win the game, but the Hunters would have a better chance at defeating the Knight (which would work better than him just being auto-defeated). What do you guys think?

Level 18
They will abuse it? What about giving this ability to the Nether Walkers, since there are only 8 of them that spawn? They're strong too, so sacrificing them to stop a Hunter for a second would be fairly balanced. I would remove their Spirit Link ability of course in turn.

But why not end with reinforcements that enter the town, now turning the tables against the Death Knight once and for all? I never really liked the idea of just killing him for no reason other than that he failed. It would still give him a slight chance to win, but make it basically victory for the Hunters if they survived Doom.

Level 18
hmm that might work
Each hunter gets five or six class mached renfocemtns and the dark nite hast to hide from teh hunters
@darknite DUDE get a better sence of time

That could work, but I was also imagining AI controlled units... like siege engines storming the Nether Portal and footman battling through the necrofiends. They'd enter the map in a horde through the top cave and perhaps from the Eastern sea. It'd be a cool cinematic.

@THE_END, who wants to make their abilities? I don't think I have the patience at the moment :xxd:

Level 18
Okay. Here goes. I'm going to have reinforcements come through the cave, bust through the gate and raid the village in an attempt to crush the Knight once and for all. From the gate will come an Archmage (but not a Hero, just a strong unit Archmage) leading the way, some knights, footman, priests, and finally behind them 2 siege tanks that will head directly for the nether portal but will fight along the way to get there.

From the eastern lake will come some more footman and priests by ship that will automatically rush the portal once they offload. 2-3 mortar crews will target the nether spire's. All of the units will have a decent amount of HP and good attack damage, making it very hard (but not impossible) for the Knight to stop them. The Death Knight will have 4 minutes to kill the remaining Death Hunters before an air raid of gyrocopters enter and obliterate the portal.

I think this works way better than just killing the Knight at the end of the Timer. What do yall think? Feel free to modify my ideas.

Level 4
Okay. Here goes. I'm going to have reinforcements come through the cave, bust through the gate and raid the village in an attempt to crush the Knight once and for all. From the gate will come an Archmage (but not a Hero, just a strong unit Archmage) leading the way, some knights, footman, priests, and finally behind them 2 siege tanks that will head directly for the nether portal but will fight along the way to get there.

From the eastern lake will come some more footman and priests by ship that will automatically rush the portal once they offload. 2-3 mortar crews will target the nether spire's. All of the units will have a decent amount of HP and good attack damage, making it very hard (but not impossible) for the Knight to stop them. The Death Knight will have 4 minutes to kill the remaining Death Hunters before an air raid of gyrocopters enter and obliterate the portal.

I think this works way better than just killing the Knight at the end of the Timer. What do yall think? Feel free to modify my ideas.

This idea seems really good as I have always felt a feeling of "that's it?" after surviving doom. Surviving doom was good but a sense of a huge victory wasn't really there- I think your idea would make Doom a whole lot better. Also, the knight isn't automatically doomed after "Doom". :spell_breaker:

Hmm, the previous post was a year ago... Did you stop tweaking the map 1)ark_Nite? Cause I really think this idea would make the game amazing.

Level 18
This idea seems really good as I have always felt a feeling of "that's it?" after surviving doom. Surviving doom was good but a sense of a huge victory wasn't really there- I think your idea would make Doom a whole lot better. Also, the knight isn't automatically doomed after "Doom". :spell_breaker:

Hmm, the previous post was a year ago... Did you stop tweaking the map 1)ark_Nite? Cause I really think this idea would make the game amazing.

Well Doom isn't meant to doom the Knight, it's meant to doom the Hunters since the Knight succeeded in opening the portal. So basically when Doom happens it's good news for the DK.

However on the subject of creating all of this extra stuff to add to Doom... it just became to difficult to work out all of that happening and it was beginning to get really messy.

Level 4
I see your point, the proposed idea doesn't really add anything to the game except an ending salvo. Yea, it would be kind of unnecessary since during the 1 minute mark, the hunters say "Make your choice death knight" as well. Also, the army would make the amazing "Death" hunters look bad. I totally forgot about the ending cinematic- when I posted my previous post, I either lost or killed the death knight before doom-never experienced Doom's last cinematic.:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.