• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why does dark Portal Summoning seems determinant and not random?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Is it because my test map has fixed seed, or is it because the ability is coded that way?

to clarify the issue, consider the following cases:
  • Original Ability settings:
    1. 3 dooms, 1 fel
    2. 2 dooms, 3 fel
    3. 0 dooms, 4 fel
  • Now Inverse the order of units, i.e. make the ability summon fel stalker, doom guards
    1. 3 fel stalkers, 1 doom
    2. 2 fel stalkers, 3 dooms
    3. 0 fel stalkers, 4 dooms
not only that, but if I cast the first ability 2 times, and then cast the second ability, I will get 4 dooms. Always. LOL

I still havent tried many more variations, but there seem to be something wierd in here.

anyway, assuming this is deterministic, how should this be tackled? I am thinking of making a unit setting in the corner of the map, which casts this ability every random time (repeating random timer).

Ive got a better idea: when the Bast Master casts dark portal, I will create random pack from my own trigger. isnt that more neat? (lets hope trigger randomness is ok -.-!)

what do you think of the result? have I missed something about the ability behaviour? and if it is deterministic, is my solution ok? are there better solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.