• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Recruitment] Stargate Galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Stargate.png

If you read nothing else, read PatchOne's Concept Map, it is the foundation of the project.

Overview
Stargate Galaxies is a Multi-Map RPG based in the Stargate universe. You will play as either a Human or a Jaffa (Like Teal'c), recruited into the Stargate Program. The game will begin on earth in Stargate Command. You have the Stargate, the staff of the SGC, and a couple Gate Addresses.

The project is infinitely expandable, as new planets can be added to the database at anytime. The users themselves will be able to create side missions, in the form of maps, which can be dialed from the SGC or any other planet. This is also a part of the Concept Map.

The required data to do such will be released as soon as the project grows large enough.

The sheer size that is afforded by this concept is spectacular. The gate has 39 symbols, which are used to dial an address which is 6 symbols long (Seven with the Point of Origin).

39^6 = 3,918,743,761

Almost 4 billion possible planets in the Milky Way alone, and the game could even be expanded to the Pegasus, Ida, or Destiny Gate Networks.

Premise
Skip this if you have seen Stargate before.

The Stargate universe centers on the premise of a "Stargate", a ring-shaped alien device that creates a wormhole enabling personal transportation to complementary devices located cosmic distances away. Under the control of the United States government, the Stargate discovered on Earth is kept a secret from the public. This allows storylines to present no contradiction between depicted events and reality, an effect compounded by setting Stargate in the present day, and depicting Earth accurately, with any unrealistic technology originating solely from alien civilizations.

In the story, this is explained as being the result of alien interference in Earth's distant past. Many ancient mythologies are shown to be the result of aliens who had visited Earth posing as gods by using their technology to give the impression of deific power. While some of these aliens had benign intentions, a race later known in Stargate SG-1 as the "Goa'uld" used Stargates to move slaves from Ancient Egypt to other habitable planets, simultaneously being responsible for the Egyptian religion and culture. Following a successful rebellion, they fled Earth, and the Stargate was buried and forgotten until modern times, when the United States acquired it following an archaeological dig. Rediscovering the function of the Stargate, the galaxy is begotten as a source of knowledge, as well as threats, and the attention of the Goa'uld is drawn once more to Earth.

Concept
The overall idea is that you will travel through the Stargate to various planets, fighting to liberate them from the Goa'uld, obtain technologies for earths defense, and simply exploring the vast galaxy.

This will be alongside a main storyline, which will take place along side the Stargate SG-1 storyline, during the first 7 or so seasons.

stargategalaxiesconcept.png
Concept Map

Video
This is a display of the working Gate system, ultimately the numbers will be replaced with the 39 symbols, and the dialing box will allow for atleast a 6 symbol address.

A second video about Transport Mechanics is available.

Recruitment

The SGG team is led and created by PatchOne. If you wish to join, PM me or make a post here. It is preferred that you have watched the show.

Currently we are looking for members in the following areas:

Data Editors
This is currently our highest priority because we do not have any data editors at the moment. You should be able to create heroes, morphing stuff, upgrades, abilities and be able to help balance the game.

3D Modelers
This is also an important priority
We don't need models that look like they are coming out of Crysis 2 or something, but you should be able to create models that conveys the feel of the stargate universe to the player. Don't be too worried about your style though, unless you usually do really cartoony stuff or the like.

We will need models for the important characters like Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Daniel Jackson, Teal'c, Jaffa, the main character etc. As well as weapons, such as Zat-Guns, Staff Weapons, P90s, etc.
And of course we will need a Stargate! It would be great if we could get a real stargate for this mod.

Storywriters
We have 2 or 3 Storywriters at the moment, 1 more could be used.
There will be lots of non-related missions, as well as a main story, which will each need a somewhat unique story, playing in the Stargate lore. All you need is to know the Stargate lore and be able to create some plot using it.

2D Artists
We will be needing some 2D art work, primarily icons, for all the weapons, and technologies. We will also need a DHD Interface for dialing the gate when Offworld. And certainly there will be other things down the road.

- - - - -
For the following two areas we probably have enough people, but it is possible that we will take others on in those areas.
- - - - -

Terrainers
We have 3 skilled Terrainers at the moment, and for now that should be enough. However if you feel you are an exceptional terrainer and just have to join this project, show us your work and we will probably bring you on board. There will be a lot of worlds to terrain in the time to come.

Coder
Currently PatchOne, and one or two others are working on this, but this is in fact a vast project. Coders should be able to create triggers for character storing across the maps (Planets), create missions and quest conversations and all the aspects of an RPG that you can imagine will be needed.

Links
For additional information, or a different perspective of the same.

Sc2Mapster - Team Section (Includes special forum for Team Members)
Sc2Mapster - Project Section
Sc2Mapster - Recruitment (Written by PatchOne)
The Hive Workshop - Old Recruitment

Level 11
@Stathisdjs
Enough to join the team? =P

@tleno
Well obviously we aren't going to fill all 4 million of those addresses, but even so I wouldn't say it is that ambitious per se, but it is extremely expandable as we wish.

About the stargate though you would have to ask PatchOne (On Sc2mapster), I am a writer on the project.

@Stathisdjs
Enough to join the team? =P

@tleno
Well obviously we aren't going to fill all 4 million of those addresses, but even so I wouldn't say it is that ambitious per se, but it is extremely expandable as we wish.

About the stargate though you would have to ask PatchOne (On Sc2mapster), I am a writer on the project.

Sorry, Twif already got me. Now, i have to work both for Zergling Frenzy AND WcIV. Doubt i'll be able to do it.

Level 6
I'm just going to make a quick note, I have no other intentions then being informative.

StargateSmall.png

However you read this, It's grammaticly, as showed, spelled with an å.

So it says "Stargåte", which sounds different then intended and can be very misleading. An a without a "bridge" is quite fine, I believe. :)
If you'd want to stick with, let's say, a circle-formed similar of that to a star or something, in your logo. I suggest making that one not involved in the typography.

Level 7
Ill help test if you need it. im good at testing!

and brombie....watch stargate. its not a typo thats the symbol for earth.

Level 11
@Brombie
Shado is correct, that is a symbol that resembles the letter A and is thus used, it is not actually the letter A, which is why it doesn't have a bridge.

It represents the symbol for the Point of Origin; Earth, in the stargate universe
Fullview_stargate_sg1logolarge.jpg

And is used similarly throughout the series.
Stargate_SG1-logo-C1CC4A4116-seeklogo.com.gif

http://www.drewboy.com/2/images/stories/tv/stargate_atlantis_logo.jpg
http://www.paranormalpeopleonline.c...se-logo-stargate-universe-2286022-800-449.jpg
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/stargate-worlds-logo.jpg

Thanks for your concern though :)

@Shadonavan
Well the project is being hosted primarily on Sc2mapster; http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/stargate-galaxies/, and when we do release some demos and ultimately the full version, I'm sure we would appreciate some dedicated testing. However aside from that in my opinion it seems unlikely that we will do much private testing that cannot be handled by the team. However don't take my word for it I am a writer. If you want to follow up, contact PatchOne on Sc2mapster, he is the project leader.

Level 3
We could use a terrainer too, since our current ones (except me) have apparently vanished from the face of the Earth.

Also for the sake of showing new stuff, this is the current WIP (work in progress) version of the newly terrained Stargate Command, Control Room:

Level 5
well this is cool, kinda glad you stop at season 7, the ori story kinda sucked.

How long do you think this will be till its playable? months? years?

how is multiplayer gona work with proccesing in the story? Are story missions solo missions? Are you forced to only play with people at the same spot as you? Are you forced to only play with the same group of people?

Level 11
The initial plan was to do in multiplayer, however unfortunately we can no longer do that for three reasons;
1) Third/First Person lags a lot online,
2) Blizzard is screening maps for copyright infringement, we won't even be able to distribute it via B.net
3) Most important, map changing doesn't work multiplayer we have found :(

However we have talked about putting in an online just arena thing, keep it as generic as possible, so people can come and show off there characters and "spar" or whatever.

Initially the idea was to be that all the players are part of the same team, so you would go from planet to planet together, but no more.

However we do still plan to make the game single player. On the bright side this will allow use to improve other aspects like a better PoV and story telling, and better immersion, among other things.

Personally I am a writer so it is hard for me to give an estimate on when an early version might be released. At the moment we are working out you starting options (Eg. choose Tau'ri or Jaffa, Backgrounds, starting equipment etc.)

And work is in progress on the Alpha Site and SGC.

Perhaps someone else will respond with an actual estimate, sorry.

Level 5
i thought blizzard said that was going to be possable, or they were gona add that latter on or something. Like a multiplayer campain thing. I could be wrong tho.

Level 4
[Data Editor]

I would be interested in helping you out, it sounds like quite an interesting project. I am currently working on Element TD as a Data Editor, but will have 'hopefully' finished the majority of my workload by the end of this week. However, I have limited to non-existent knowledge of the Stargate universe, but would be happy to help nonetheless.

Level 1
Hey guys.

First of all, thanks for all the comments on the project ;)
i think and hope we're able to release some new footage soon, about ingame models, the skills system and terrains of serveral important locations.

i just wanna say, we're still in need of good terrainers and triggerers, so if anyone is interested, just contact me - here or on sc2mapster.com.

@Deep_Blade
we would love to add you to the team, because a real data editor is what we are searching for since the project started, and never found.

i will send you a pm :)

Level 11
Just in case it wasn't clear Deep_Blade, Patch is the project leader, I am a writer.

Also we are primarily hosted on Sc2mapster, if you have an account there we will add you to the project, if not, it would be best if you created an account.

There we have a private forum for the development of the project, where you can read up on all the stuff we have done so far, and look at the To Do List.

And don't worry about not knowing much about the Stargate universe, us writers can make sure that it all works.

Of course, Patch may just tell you all this in a pm. Anyways.

Welcome aboard. :)

Level 11
Quote: This is a quote from PatchOne, the project leader, on the Sc2mapster recruitment thread.

StargateSmall.png

Hey Guys.

We, the Stargate Galaxies Team, knows we didn't posted any updates since this thread exists, and we are very sorry for that.

We had some very slow progress, the project was in some kind of hibernation over some time so we simply had nothing new to show.

Now the team worked out some things in the last few days and i want to share that Stuff with the Community!

Twitter and Facebook

First of all, we Created an own Twitter account - we'll try to provide updates to everyone that is interested as often as we can.

https://twitter.com/SG_Galaxies

There is nothing yet, we just created that account some days ago, but we definitly will post Updates on it and answer your questions or comment on your thoughts!

Also we created a Group on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128810007168252&v=wall#!/group.php?gid=128810007168252

im not really into that facebook stuff, so im not sure if this link works, but if it does, feel free to join it and discuss whatever you want :)

Game Information

This thread is relatively old, and has never been updated since it exists.

We have found several things out, that were very problematic for this project, due to the lack of Support from Blizzard and also decided some more or less major gameplay aspects.

1. - there is NO Map Changing on battle.net 2.0
its just not possible to change the map on an active multiplayer game on bnet2.0 - support tickets about that, written from an EU account has just lead in predefined answer emails telling me i should ask on the US forums - very funny Blizzard!

Without Map Changing online, we had to make a very big deceision about the game itself, that has a good and a bad side.

The keyword is: Singleplayer Modification!

Stargate Galaxies will be a FPS/3rdPS Singleplayer RPG.

Its not as epic as it could have been with real online map changeing, but we think this still will be a great project and wont stop until it is finished.
Also we have some idea for an online based 'Arena' where you can compete with your Characters from your Singleplayer progress, to test your skills against other players.

The good side on this one is, we dont have to care about trademark issues (at least for blizzard reasons), we dont have to care about map sizes (tons of custom models will be there :)) and we can be as rude or whatever as we want!

2. - Gametype - First Person/3rd Person Shooter!

We Decided to create this game as a FPS/3rdPS. nothing much to say about this deceision, we just thought that we cant create an rpg like this with an top-down view from an RTS game like StarCraft2.

3. - Skills, Leveling and Experience

We dont have much on this topic to reveal right now, except that we are going to use a very own kind of experience gathering (Percentage based Only, Infos on that will follow 'soon') the Skills System will be like known from serveral other RPG´s (MassEffect2, Alpha Protocol) and The Leveling in general wont make you the UberSoldier to defeat the goa'ould like nothing, even if you are on Level 200. (just an example, no levelcap known yet.)

Ingame Progress

We have models and very skilled terrainers, so lets have a look at some of their work!

Models:
We have all models we need, we are able to import them into StarCraft2 - but its like a puzzle on some of them, so these pictures wont show completed models, just parts of them.

Terrain:
Fans of the Stargate Franchise know Places like the Alpha Site, and now we will show you the first looks at the nearly finished Alpha Site terrain, as well as the latest SGC Redesign! (SGC pretty old, redesigned - no custom models in them yet)

Alpha Site

Icons:
We have an very talented 2D Artist aboard, that made us some Icons for several Ingame things lately, and we want to show you some of them too!

------------------------------------------------

Thats all for now!

i hope anyone who likes this project and wants to see it finished forgives us for the very late update, but we will try to bring more of them now as soon as we have new stuff to show.

and we are still recruiting! triggerer and data editors (effects) needed!

kind regards, PatchOne

Level 4
i could help with story... as i know the story almost inside-out :p other then that i could help with terrain but. or i could provide moral support :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.