• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Real life terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Hey fellas,

Thought I'd share this with you. For those who don't know I'm doing a Bachelor's in Landscape Architecture, this is my first year, and my third studio project. Working individually, I went out into the meadows and hacked down tons of invasive species and glued them together to make all sorts of scale model trees and shrubs.

Our assignment concerned only plant material (no height variation or structures) and absolutely no artificial material was allowed aside from the scale figures & foam insulation base. So basically I gathered all this stuff myself and stuck it down. We were tasked to make a park with gathering spaces and a walkway, and I had to enclose mine entirely so that nobody could see in or out. Also, I was limited to using the rectilinear form - only right angles. Other students chose different forms for their designs.

From start to finish including all material gathering, this project took me 7 days... about 50-60 hours. It's been through formal critique and all that, which was actually a lot of fun. I actually used the World Editor to help me come up with a rough plan.

BTW tile variation is a hell of a lot harder in the physical world. The grass is made from wild parsley I found, dried, and put through a coffee grinder. The tan texture is sage, and the little grey-purple pebble things are flower buds. The leaves are unground parsley. The yellow trees are made out of goldenrod, the dark bushes are cedum, the tall leafy trees are ragweed, the branchy trees are some unknown dead thing, and the fluffy stuff is phragmites. Don't even get me started on the green hedges! You guys better be grateful for your doodads. Not so easy to make each one individually haha. Also no undo button. Hell, this is some noob level shit and it was not easy for me at all.

Apologies for the poor photo quality... Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMAG1120_1.jpg
    IMAG1120_1.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG1122.jpg
    IMAG1122.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMAG1125.jpg
    IMAG1125.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 645
  • IMAG1130.jpg
    IMAG1130.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 647
  • IMAG0969.jpg
    IMAG0969.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMAG0985_1.jpg
    IMAG0985_1.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 656
  • IMAG1019.jpg
    IMAG1019.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG1049.jpg
    IMAG1049.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG1069.jpg
    IMAG1069.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMAG1070.jpg
    IMAG1070.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG1143.jpg
    IMAG1143.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 211
Level 19
This actually looks cool :goblin_good_job: though the dead branches is a little bit off you could shape them in some form or you could altered some of the trees.
Too bad I couldn't add some rep to you. :)

These are the best shots in my opinion.

149762d1446179369-real-life-terrain-imag1130.jpg
149761d1446179369-real-life-terrain-imag1125.jpg
149763d1446179454-real-life-terrain-imag0985_1.jpg

Level 34
So were there other influences to decide to pursue landscaping, or was your love of terraining it?

That's so awesome. I'm pumped for you, like actually I'm really excited. No, you don't understand, I'm over the moon. No, shut the fuck up, sit down. I'm overjoyed that you're doing this.

With the right camera angles, these actually look like full scale gardens. Seems like a lot more fun than when I went to Uni.

Edit: I added some blur to a couple images to see what it would look like. Helps make it look more like the photo was taken high up above a garden, not slightly above a model. I'm not very good at it, but I hope it gives the right idea.

Attachments

• IMAG1143.jpg
    IMAG1143.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG1069.jpg
    IMAG1069.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Level 36
Damn boy.

You really took your passion for terraining and turned it into something real, you clever
oaf. I, like Gilles, am overjoyed by this, so step aside and make space for one more up
there.

The only thing I dislike is the paper-men, I understand that you need them there for
scaling purposes, but they ruin what would otherwise be amazing shots for me.

Level 36
Damn boy.

You really took your passion for terraining and turned it into something real, you clever
oaf. I, like Gilles, am overjoyed by this, so step aside and make space for one more up
there.

The only thing I dislike is the paper-men, I understand that you need them there for
scaling purposes, but they ruin what would otherwise be amazing shots for me.

These are really superb Void.
Unlike Keiji, I do like the paper men quite much :p

Thanks! I'm really excited too. I agree, the paper men are so roughly crafted compared to the rest of the model... I made them in 15 minutes before presentations. I should probably spend more time making scale figures before I take photos for my portfolio!

So were there other influences to decide to pursue landscaping, or was your love of terraining it?

That's so awesome. I'm pumped for you, like actually I'm really excited. No, you don't understand, I'm over the moon. No, shut the fuck up, sit down. I'm overjoyed that you're doing this.

With the right camera angles, these actually look like full scale gardens. Seems like a lot more fun than when I went to Uni.

Edit: I added some blur to a couple images to see what it would look like. Helps make it look more like the photo was taken high up above a garden, not slightly above a model. I'm not very good at it, but I hope it gives the right idea.

I guess all the reasons are part of one big group - love of nature, love of public parks and gardens... wanting to work outside. Terraining was definitely a huge reason, and also a source of confidence for me going into this program.

I'm amazed by how similar it really is. I guess it's more like "playable" terrain, but we do also frame particular views. Since I've started learning about this, it's like real life has become one big, somewhat more complex world editor for me. It's really quite the awesome feeling. I miss having unlimited resources but it's kinda interesting to work with limitations, too.

I definitely owe you guys a big, big thanks for being such a huge part of my life, and forming the community in which I developed an interest which ultimately led to a career. This is a really awesome place, and I feel great.

Level 34
That's awesome Void, and you're welcome! Granted this community is only what members make it, and you've been a big contributor to it so you have yourself to thank in a big way.

Keep us updated with your schooling. I'm thinking I shouldn't have gone into roofing now. :p

Level 11
If I was a little paper man I would love to spend my afternoons in this garden, it is that good :)

I am used to miniature scaping, Aquariums and aquascaping being my hobby and I can understand the painstaking process of making tiny trees from twigs! The best thing about your diorama is that you have used all natural stuff to make it as opposed to plastic plants, which makes it even harder. Also I love the way you did the lawn, it really looks like grass. The fluffy white trees and the dry leaves are also a nice touch.

I would encourage you to make more such dioramas, besides the uni projects, with different types of stones and wood pieces. It is addicting.

Also, best wishes for your academic career :)

Level 36
If I was a little paper man I would love to spend my afternoons in this garden, it is that good :)

I am used to miniature scaping, Aquariums and aquascaping being my hobby and I can understand the painstaking process of making tiny trees from twigs! The best thing about your diorama is that you have used all natural stuff to make it as opposed to plastic plants, which makes it even harder. Also I love the way you did the lawn, it really looks like grass. The fluffy white trees and the dry leaves are also a nice touch.

I would encourage you to make more such dioramas, besides the uni projects, with different types of stones and wood pieces. It is addicting.

Also, best wishes for your academic career :)

I love it. This major has definitely gotten me hooked on model making. Soon as I get time out of studio, I likely will. It's hard for me to imagine how I lived before I started making things.

It'll also be a lot more fun when I can choose what materials to use. Rocks in particular. I love rocks. I love the models people make for tabletop games like Warhammer and WH40k. They get so incredibly detailed!! And they're fantasy landscapes which is awesome.

There's definitely a huge difference when you're making something that needs to be buildable.

Level 15

Tilt Shift effect

Seriously Void, awesome work on these. It's absolutely fantastic to see you taking what you have a passion for and running with it like this.

I definitely owe you guys a big, big thanks for being such a huge part of my life, and forming the community in which I developed an interest which ultimately led to a career. This is a really awesome place, and I feel great.

I just have to echo his sentiment here. THW, and the Terrain Board in particular, has built a very special community that I haven't seen rivaled on any forum I've ever been active on. It's really cool to see everyone come back every once in a while and drop in with an update like this. I think I'm not alone in saying that this board holds a special place in our lives, and has affected all of us in some way or another (hopefully in a positive manner).

<3

Level 28
Hey that's some beautiful work, Void! I'm also very happy to see how the terrain board influenced your life in such a positive way. That's great! haha.

Now I'm curious to hear what the teacher (or do you call them professor? I never know) had to say about your model, if you don't mind! :D

Level 36
New and improved final projects!

The one with the buildings is based on a real site in town.

(sorry about sideways photos, but apparently if you open them in new tab they're the right way up. strange...)

Attachments

• IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    751.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    606.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG