• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

[Miscellanous / Other] RandomMapGenerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Random Map Generator

Dear Warcraft Heroes,

I've recently started work on a random map generator.
When I searched the hive I never found one finished... challenge accepted.

Personal challenge: only use de GUI :confused: (I woks as a software engineer, JASS is no problem. Though with Warcraft the GUI holds a special place in my heart, I can't explain it.)

I've done in depth testing to test te capabilities of the engine. I came to the conclusion that it is very capable, until you want to create rivers, lakes... anything with water really, so I will stay away from water (I don't like water in rl anyway).

The following lists the features that the map will... feature. Marked in green are all the features that are finished, marked in orange are the features that I'm working on right now (not really right now, right now I'm writing a post... you get the point).

world generation;
- biome generation. Grass, forrest, snow, desert (with one of the four biomes as sub biome).
- mountain generator. (based on biome) It will also generate a fissure.
- forest generator. (based on biome)
- village generator. (Human, Elf, Orc)
- road generator. (to connect an entry point to the gameworld with the human and elven villages).
- doodad generator. (based on biome)
- critter generator. (based on biome)
- weather generator. (based on biome)

Game mechanics;
- random realm name generator.
- random player name generator (over 2,200 names).
- hero picker. Human warrior, Elven ranger, Orc shaman (more heroes will be added in the future)

- items. (units can only be summoned, summoning is done through items.)
- item drop system. (every unit you see in the game has a chance to drop the accosiated summoning item... bosses and OP units included).
- item buying system. (I have something working, but I'm not entirely pleased with it yet)
- PVE game mode.
- Free for all game mode.

Game master A.I.;
- Neutral factions that own the generated villages. (race based on village culture)
- Village conquest system. (very basic though).
- Neutral faction will try to conquer villages.
- Creep spawners. I have one working, just need to implement more for variaty sake.(based on biome)
- random quest/event chains. first one in progress (The idea here is to let the game maste A.I. pick a scenario/campaing. If one is finished another will be started.)
- try to jam in as much lore as possible.
- custom music. (for anything implemented the right music/sound will be added to generate some immersion).

Any suggestions about the right map prefix is apreciated, I have no idea where my map/idea fits best.
Any suggestions about tags are also apreciated.
Any suggestions about event chains are apreciated, I need a lot of them, and they are fun to make.
Any suggestions about my horrid dialoges are apreciated.

I've written this post in advance, I will upload/attach the map ASAP. Also screenshots will be uploaded later on.
I'm just not at home right now.
I feel the map is somewhat ready for testing.

Excuse me for the quality of this post, I'm not that much of a forum groupie. ;)

Attachments

• RandomMapGeneratorProtected.w3x
    6.1 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Level 6
You are really gonna hate not having data structures for this. In my opinion GUI isn't a challenge, it's a frustrating handicap.

Perhaps, and if my problems become unsolvable I will switch to JASS. This is a 128x128 size map, and if all systems work and the engine remains stable I will explore the extra possibilitie provided by JASS in a 256x256 size map. I will need a lot of extra systems for a new map anyway. But iff you are creative you can built a sort off data stricture system in GUI. I know it’s shortcommings.

I remember trying to make this myself back when I was a filthy GUI user.
My main problem was that you could only spawn destructibles, not doodads.

I don’t have a problem with doodads.

I will test the first world event, to see if I missed mayor bugs. And will upload the map thereafter.

Last edited:
Level 6
Which has no pathing, but yes it is a pretty cool solution if used correctly.

I drop a point, check the terrain at that point, drop a “doodad” effect at that point if the terrain is of a valid terrain type, based on that terrain type. If the doodad effect needs pathing I drop a pathing blocker at that point, if the doodad is particularly big I can use more pathing/line of sight blockers.

Level 6
I've attached the file to the Original post, let me know what you think.
you can conquer all neutral towns and defend yourself against an undead onslaught.
As mentioned in the Original post, I would really apreciate suggestions. (especialy about event chain ideas.)

This is interesting, though the gameplay itself is incredibly boring. My hero couldn't actually attack anything (until something randomly happened, allowing it to attack). Combat was slow and frustrating. The map layout was a little bit repetitive and there wasn't much of a goal. That being said, the procedural generation is somewhat promising.

Level 6
The procedural map generation is the first in its generation. I’ve already made many notes on how to improve in the second generation. But it is not likely that this generator will recieve a total makeover, if I did that I would never finish the map.

On Heroes: I have no idea how to aproach heroes in my particular map. I don’t want them to become OP in the late game, but they should play a significant role. I’m still thinking about it, suggestions are appriciated.

Gameplay is meant to be somewhat on the slower side ( my personal prefference), but if a lot of people think it is to slow I could possibly make it a little faster. Just tell me; is the unit recruitment/summoning to slow, or the actual combat.

Have you guys notices the spellbook ability your hero has, which allows you to buy new items on the fly?

The problem was that i didn't really understand the recruitment part at all. Yes, i could spawn units, altough their health and damage seemed so weak that i figured they were just for scouting. It was also kinda ugly how all units died in a puff of smoke. It wasn't really possible to win any encounters without first waiting 10+ minutes to generate an army with that cooldown.

Some more items and unit types would go a long way, and also some more division into hard and easy map areas. Also, it would be nice if the map was a bit more dense, with less empty space. Maybe mercenary camps where you can hire troops? What about neutral cities? A larger map would be nice too. Details should be spawned in groups/patches rather than randomly strewn out - try first picking a point, place a tree or some rocks there, then randomly pick points around it and place bushes/mushrooms (and then repeat the process). With Jass, you could also use unitpools or itempools to randomly place items with specified rarity.

For the record, i think you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing this in GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.