• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random Fatal Encounters! Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am having random occurence of fatal errors in my game.

Most people will tell me it's because of an error in my triggers. However, these occurence are totally random and different with each game, making it hard for me to fix it.

Recent fatal scenarios,
1) My friend bought this recipe for an item, which we have bought for the past versions with no problems. I tried buying the recipe in the next version, no fatal occurs. The recipe is supposed to activate an event that runs a series of actions. However, that was the only time it occurred.

2) I destroyed a Portal Model Unit. The portal unit is supposed to activate an event that runs a series of actions. However, that was the only time it occurred.

I am thinking whether is it ram overload? From what i read, ram overflow can cause fatal error. Cause my game runs many triggers at the same time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Each trigger is run separatly one after the other. Even if 2 timers expire at once they will still be run 1 after the other.

There are 2 potential overloads that can occur.
1. Stack overload. This requires a huge local abuse to occur and will occur with only 1 trigger as each trigger related thread is executed with a fresh stack.
2. The engine can not deal with so many triggers being run within 1 internal frame. I doubt this even exists in WC3 and should not cause a fatal error (in SC2 it just causes the threads to not run after a certain number).

What is more likly is you some how let a trigger run an invalid value at some stage. An example being passing null to some natives or acessing incorrect types from a hashtable.

Additionally, there are engine bugs in WC3 which will always cause an unavoidable crash in some conditions. These are true random crashes and very hard for blizzard or any company to fix due to the obscrity of inpput needed to trigger them.

Status
Not open for further replies.