• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Raid Series - a Campfire Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello everyone.

I hope i did not create this thread in the wrong section but i guess this is the one because of the topic. I would like to start to this "join to me, please" thread with my little "longstoryshort" paragraph, you may skip this part directly because it's pretty personal. Actually, maybe you just have to skip all of these because it will take long to read and understand, so maybe you may think about leave me alone as i am at the beginning before getting into it:

Long story short, i'm a machine designer in the real world and as you can imagine i was familiar with solid surface modelling stuff. Also a graphic designer, educated in a local university and made lots of advertisement stuff/products in years for living. In my slice of time i was always looking for more. Because of that, i know many things about pretty much every profession. All of these information made one clear image in my mind, which may be summarized as "failure of a kind". So i started to thinking about something to take me out of this cliche depression and came out with an idea. As an ordinary player i was looking for more entertainment and made my very simple decision about the creation of a very simple -well known- archetype. With the rules of reality at the hand, my argument was very simple as i said, there is only 2 things in this kind, pushing us to find new ways to entertain ourselves:

1: Fear of the end
2: Need of energy/new source

After this very simple definition of "problems" about variables, i had to think about what is the "most" entertaining thing in the entire history of ours. Simply:

1: Man vs man
2: Crowd vs bad

The option 1 is mainstream, daily function. The option 2 is our natural instinct. These both sentences are the heart of 2 game types in the WoW; raids and arenas. But what was so hard for Blizz is keeping them coming in short periods, because of the memory issues and all of the other problems like making new artworks or models or anything related to the art and programming for every other thing in every other raid or arena/area. So they decided to go with the option 1 over time, made games around 1v1 ideas or at least man vs man duels. But the 1v1 side of the games were just like %15 of the genre, maybe %25 maximum. They just ignored %75 of the genre and said "just watch the streaming %25". This is completely fine for me but what if i want to play around the option 2 somedays? That's why i created this thread.

So i just wanted to make it very basic, keep it simple, make it accessible by anyone. At least for the ones has a computer and Warcraft installed on it. Maps produced like series of movies, people can delete them any time they want and may play daily or again and again just like WoW raids. Simply, the teamwork similators without any boring cinematic stuff or dialog, basic units with modified spells and skills, just get in with your friends and enjoy. With only one big impact, player's unique heroes and their extraordinary class ideas, different strategies and things like that.

To do what i need, which is the reason why i am writing this thread at the moment, i need some aid from others like me to do things better. Basic things, ideas and custom heroes, simply testing stuff and that's all.

So what is the difference between these and standart custom maps? This is the "Boom" part, at least for me as a low-IQ person. We will create our community for raid series and our very own units. We will create every single raid with our own custom units created by us and we will vote weekly or maybe daily for what is going to be in the next raid. Which build will be immortal, which strategy is the best, which hero deserves to be immortal. This idea inspired by "Hall of Grandmasters" from Path of Exile, i know everybody likes to be in the "Hall" and this is the time that our W3 community will begin to creating their hall. Our heroes in raids will be in the "Hall of Storms" map and you will be able to defeat all of them with your own hero whenever you want, if you can. This is the ultimate man vs man part.

Here is the discord channel link ( Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers ) for this little "project" thing. I have a prototype map as a very simple example, attached to the thread, made it in couple of days last week (with seriously 0 knowledge about the editor, i made it completely with my insticts and knowledge about other things), it sums up the "strategical" part very well with the heroic abilities and their pros-cons but of course they're unbalanced numerically because it is just a simple example.

I named it as "CotA" because of humorous reasons, you know it is a reference to the DotA. It is a reversed raid where you're playing as an "other" unit in a battle between four other clan and you have to defeat all of them, including bosses from other dimensions. Simple reaction with one more solvent or reaction fastener, which is you.

This map is hard for solo play, like all raids in the other games. There are two ways of gaining experience in this map, one of them is taking damage and the other one is killing things "by yourself" or "by a teammate". This is an important fact because if you cannot kill any unit or take damage for gaining experience about the battle, you will be punished by other heroes so easily and you have only one life. This may be changed by a support hero and a revive ability in the future raids.

This map is inspired by the Don't starve Together's "The Forge" event, where the waves are summoned from portal gates and you have to work with your team to defeat all. Have a little bit more work to do on this map like balancing things numerically, button configs, messages and leaderboards like dps-meters and heal-meters, but it is still playable for a single run like a raid. In this map, others are raiding/invading each other wave by wave until the end while you are trying to gain levels and kill the boss, which is the "fear" fact at the argument above. But you're getting the idea of "daily map" with this simple run i guess. These are simply some of my own custom hero ideas and their skill interactions may be lethal for your own with some of them.

I think it's so easy to get the idea of this project. We will share our custom hero ideas for each specific role in the raid. We will build them around the fundamentals of creation (str, int, agi) and we will make our own raids with these creations for playing together until we make a new one. Even better, we can make two side (or more) raids for an additional ending battle between player teams after the farming section with limited time.

I'm waiting for your help. I will soon make a map named as Hall of Storms, which will contain the best heroes in the raid series, voted by us. I need help about the creation of this map too, ideas and programming stuff. Everything has to be simple and basic with easy manipulations and it is so hard for a single person to deal with all of these complexity.

Good days to all, kind regards.

Attachments

• Champions of the Arena.w3x
    165.3 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.