1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Quitting Game developing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Screamernail, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
    I want to quit. Simply just gonna put this Can't? here and leave it like that.

I will add that yes I will play games (Just 3DS games and Marathon) but I will NOT make my own because it doesn't work. No I will make slideshows instead. But I would probably just break that promise. But if I did then I would work on Marathon scenarios.

EDIT: This is just something personal and I want advice about what to do about my life.

2. Natu

Natu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well if you don't enjoy it, I say don't waste your time and quit now. It just won't work.

But if you're someone who actually have fun making games, then don't give up too easily.
    Let me just say that you have the wrong approach. I noticed that you constantly seek attention, and easily discouraged when people make a slight disagreement. That's no good.
    If you really want to make a game, don't expect any help or support from others right of the bat. You have to work on it yourself and make actual progress because no one's gonna do it for you. And don't report every little changes you make, it's a waste of time. Put that time in making progress instead.
    Once your game is playable enough, let the people test it, that's when you get support and encouragement. And eventually someone interested will come and help if you ask them nicely.

Advice. My advice is to keep making games until you find it as a really fun hobby. Other than that I'm useless. Ignore me.

3. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
  4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you are not finding either joy or profits in something, and doing it does not make you a better person, you should obviously quit it. So do it.

5. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe you're just burned out at the moment, maybe take a rest and watch the dancing guy on the Quando, Quando, Quando music video, might improve your mood.

6. Pinzu

Pinzu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Developers, especially game developers seem to suffer from perfectionism and too big a scope for their ability, time and motivation. Some of this can be attributed to the lack of deadlines or any other project constraints. If you want to quit, quit. However I would first ask myself if your failings come from trying to do things beyond your reach.

Secondly you provided so little information about your life, so it's hard to give advice based on what you said. How old are you and what *did* you want to acomplish in game development?

When you say that it doesn't work: In what manner? Financially or difficulty?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Remember to Shift+Delete the project folder so you don't need to see that garbage ever again.

8. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^and then use a tool to physically remove it from your hard drive.

9. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It suffices to overwrite it several times; I've had good experiences with Eraser, can highly recommend.

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    pfft what a pussy

Real men format the hard drive (with zeroing out ofc).

11. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm a pussy, I try to avoid formatting. I used too because I kept getting viruses but that was long ago.

12. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will not quit. Uno Prospero is in the work.

13. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Amazing news, would've been too sad to see such a memorable project get abandoned. Good luck! <3

14. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I still think you should make that 2D game with Xillus, tho.

15. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now I think.. Maybe I should support my country instead? Europe is in bad shape and needs help from someone competent. I know that if something is wrong it's wrong and that not everyone is a gamer. I think I need to work on something for my country to learn it. I can do slideshows but not program games. I haven't even started making even 2% of Uno Prospero.

Maybe my call isn't gaming. Maybe it's to support the old and the free.

I do believe I've gotten mental problems.

16. Pinzu

Pinzu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You should support yourself first.

17. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll see if I can.

18. Screamernail

Screamernail

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay. Maybe I should work on the games first and then work on other things when I'm done.

I do need the influence to work harder too.

19. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  20. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: