• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 map viable to showcase game protoype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
hey guys, just quickly introducing myself.

i'm a professional concept artist, but loving all areas of game development. over the last year though i started thinking, then even actively developing my own game idea. i used to make pretty intricate and moderately popular wc3c maps back in the days (used to post here alot too) so i want to get back into it, to test out my plans.

my game idea is very simple at its core, but like most "good" games, the complexity lies underneath the mechanics. imagine a game like hearthstone, which is superficially simple and would not take a gigantic budget to develop.

i am 100% convinced of the potential success of my idea (succes meaning not that i will be a millionaire but that i could create a profitable startup by launching this game), and so i want to get started.

my question is, primarily, if any of you have experience with indie game development, and wether a prototype created in the wc3 editor could effectively communicate the core principles and mechanics of the game?

would potential investors reject an idea, if a prototype is presented as wc3 map? and how close is the trigger system in the map editor, to actual game coding? i was pretty decent at developing complex interacting systems with the gui triggers, variables and all that stuff (never got into jass though)

would appreciate any kind of feedback from you guys!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
my question is, primarily, if any of you have experience with indie game development, and wether a prototype created in the wc3 editor could effectively communicate the core principles and mechanics of the game?
I guess so, worked for DotA and the dozens of TD games out there.

and how close is the trigger system in the map editor, to actual game coding?
Chalk and Cheese (not very similar at all).

You should probably use SC2 to prototype anyway now. It has far better graphics and is more powerful in many ways as well as free for anyone to play arcade maps (good to advertise for crowd funding).

Level 12
would potential investors reject an idea, if a prototype is presented as wc3 map?

Yes Sc2 has better graphics and some things are easier possible as in wc3. But if youre presenting your idea to a serious investor who is not your friend or a super relaxed dude somehow, then presenting your game prototype in both wc3 and sc2 is an absolute no go.

If the game principle is quite easy, then build a working prototype.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
then presenting your game prototype in both wc3 and sc2 is an absolute no go.
Except for crowd funding and for statics useful for marketing. If you get a Facebook group with like 100k people following it about your map I am sure people will be interested. Additionally people who liked the ideas shown in the map may be willing to splash out on crowd funding schemes more than people who are having to go by indirect feedback (movies, images, text etc).

Obviously a real prototype may be better in cases as assets and core code may have been partly developed (depends how much effort you put in the prototype).

Status
Not open for further replies.