• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Q: Why is my Warcraft map thumbnail marked as "?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
i did imported already and renamed it "war3mapPreview.tga"

upload_2020-4-16_23-35-15.png

Last edited:
Level 7
It doesn't work. Whenever i open the file in the MPQ editor and convert the file it goes back to .tga in my editor.

I also tried replacing the already existing war3mapMap.blp file with my own but it just makes the map icon black. I have tried converting .tga, .png, and .gif files in both 256x256 and 128x128 sizes.

Last edited:
Level 5
in my-case all i did was untick what @TriggerHappy just said + i repeat to import & rename to war3mapPreview.tga and it works, as for the war3mapMap.blp, i tried it and even renaming it on mpq editor wont work for me

Level 12
You need to convert it to blp before importing in the map.

And you don't need an MPQ editor (but you can use it), you can use the Asset Manager and manually change the path.

If you just rename the imported file without converting it, it will simply not work.

@Nibba : You can use BLP Lab : BLP Lab v0.5.0

Level 14
I used https://gaming-tools.com/warcraft-3/mpq-editor/ to do this to my project this morning. Took less than 2 minutes. Pretty easy.

Open your map with the tool. You will see war3mapMap.blp in the directory right away. Delete it. Click 'add file' at the top and select your customized war3mapMap.blp.

However, you will then need to run BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex('yourMiniMapImage.blp') in your init trigger with the actual minimap image to make sure the in-game map is not your map preview image (since you literally overwrote it to a custom image). You could do this by saving a backup of the original war3mapMap you overwrote (extract it from the MPQ before deleting it) or by creating a custom one.

Level 12
Yes sorry I forgot about that detail.

Pity we don't have a native to change the minimap preview as well, it would make things much easier!

I used https://gaming-tools.com/warcraft-3/mpq-editor/ to do this to my project this morning. Took less than 2 minutes. Pretty easy.

Open your map with the tool. You will see war3mapMap.blp in the directory right away. Delete it. Click 'add file' at the top and select your customized war3mapMap.blp.

However, you will then need to run BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex('yourMiniMapImage.blp') in your init trigger with the actual minimap image to make sure the in-game map is not your map preview image (since you literally overwrote it to a custom image). You could do this by saving a backup of the original war3mapMap you overwrote (extract it from the MPQ before deleting it) or by creating a custom one.

Thanks for the SOLUTION Planetary. Been having this issue for months going to try it out.

Level 4
Sorry if this is considered Necroing but I attempted to follow the steps listed here and replaced the war3mapMap.blp image with my own but it ends up with the starting locations and neutral buildings plastered all over it.

Any advice?
unknown.png

Level 18
Sorry if this is considered Necroing but I attempted to follow the steps listed here and replaced the war3mapMap.blp image with my own but it ends up with the starting locations and neutral buildings plastered all over it.

Any advice?
Delete war3map.mmp or overwrite it with a dummy/empty war3map.mmp file.

Status
Not open for further replies.