• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Setting the thumbnail image; two compatible versions of the same map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Question #1:

How can I set the thumbnail image for my map that you see on the Create Game screen while choosing what you want to play?

Question #2:

Is it possible to make two completely compatible maps where the only difference between them is that one has locally played sounds imported?
Like, say I want to make two versions of my map, one with all the imported sounds, and one to host on bnet that doesn't have any of the sounds so that I'm not sitting at the hosting screen for 3 hours while everyone waits out their slow internet speeds?
I don't mean hosting two separate maps, but if I host the sound-less map, and people with the, uh, sound-full map can join and hear the sounds as if it was that map. Is that possible?

Level 18
1) That's under Scenario --> Loading Screen if I'm not mistaken. If not, it's one of the other tabs.

2) If I understand correctly, you want people who have the sound-map to play online with the sound-map, and those who don't will download the non-sound-map automatically on b.net and will play in that map? If that's the case, then it's impossible. They are 2 different maps and there's no way you can combine them like that. The people with the sound-map will download the non-sound-map as well.

Level 10
1: I looked and looked and didn't find anything to change that image :|

2: So how come blizzard managed that with the easter egg hunt map, and the other custom maps they made?
They completely localized them. If you are running the Korean client, and host up the korean easter egg hunt map, people can join using the english easter egg hunt map and be none the wiser. The difference between the two maps is all the map-specific instructions and tooltips and stuff are in different languages.

Level 12
It is not possible, as the maps will not be the same. B-net is very strict about such stuff, 'cause if it could be done anyone would change a map to add cheats and then play. Only thing you could do is change the sound format to make it smaller (mp3 or mp4).

Blizzard has much more advanced tools, for a user this is impossible.

Level 10
Yeah thought so, was worth a shot, heh.
And no use in compressing the filesizes, I have a ton of action and spell sounds I want to add, but since it makes the map take forever to download on bnet, I just wont bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.