• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project idea: Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
After playing the "Phantom II" map for the first time in SC2, it reminded me of a gametype in Halo 3, in which one player starts off as a master zombie and can turn players into zombies by killing them. Zombies will respawn and are super fast, but super weak, however, the master zombie has high hit points, incredibly powerful attacks, but is super slow. Players have to hold out for as long as they can or have the option to end the game when the master zombie is killed.

PLOT
In an alternate timeline, The Zerg have completely overrun the Koprulu Sector, rather than sparing the terran and Protoss at the end of the Brood War and have now almost completely infested Terra. You play as a handful of survivors, taking defense in the scraps of what was once a Terran metropolis, and are nowhere near powerful enough to drive the zerg off the planet, but your group will need to survive for as long as they can, lest they become more pawns for the domination of their home planet.

Gameplay

General:
Being like the original Halo 3 version, a random person would be chosen to be the Initial Infector (It could be an infestor or a brand new strain of zerg)
and will spawn at one end of the map and will slowly approach the players, Or we could make it a bit more interesting where the everyone is initially unaffected, and then after 10 seconds, one person will get infected and everyone will need to kill him fast or they will all be infected.

The safe humans will need to build defenses out of the scraps they find around. It will not be a resource system, but instead, it will be just items scattered around that players can put into places to slow down and annoy the zombies.

The minor zombies will be ultra fast, but have around 1 HP, so they will behave like zerglings, but like the Infector, they will cause instant kills and and players they kill will respawn as zombies as well. We could also make it so that the infector can load the zombies up and deploy them when it reaches close enough to the players and then kill them from a close range before the players can snipe them.

The game should end after a few rounds, which will end when everyone is infected or the infector has died enough times. Whoever wins the most rounds will have the final victory

Classes/Roles
The humans will NOT have roles or classes, players will be allowed to do anything, since it will not feel like the Halo 3 infection that I love so much, players will also get more freedom and be able to switch roles when needed to.

The infected will have the infector and the previously explained zombies.

WEPON/Equipment/Combat

The Humans will have a wide arsenal of weapons, but due to the earth being in apocalypse and all, these weapons will be either very degraded or severely lack ammo, which will drive the players to venture out into open territory to search for guns, stopping them from camping in their forts forever. The Weapons might be similar to the ones you'd normally use in Halo 3- the Assault rifle, the Battle Rifle, Shotguns, Pistols, Covenant (or in this case, Protoss?) laser beams, or even something like gravity hammers.Along with ammo, we could also have a durability system, so if enough shots are made, the gun will just shatter.

The Zombies won't have any weapons, but to improve on how the zombies only gain more members, we could let the infector gain new powers after every infection, like speed boost for minions or himself and enabling transport. Or he could just level up and will gain experience through the death of his minions, since it will be very hard to gain any exp if the players are strong.

Items/defenses
By Items, I mean the props and things that people move around to help defend, as well as the traps that can be set. Like I said, We could have players being able to pick up or salvage from the floor, and they could be like the mini-town halls from WC3 than can also be picked up again, since we can't physically push blocks to the left and right. We can also combine things to make new things, E.G 4X aluminium boards+2x Rope will make a wall, but all items will be lost in the process, but you can always break the contraptions down, but you'll lose some of the things in the process, since dismantling something can cause bits of it to break. There will be a limited amount of things to use, so players will have to wisely place things, but there are parts to be found where the zombies are.

The Zerg might have creep in their territory to mark themselves and to speed themselves up, Also, we can add an ability to the Infector that causes creep to become poisonous to humans at a later stage, so the humans don't turtle for too long.

Cameras/ Point of view

We might add a Third person or first person camera to make it more halo-like, still that might cause lag and we may be better off having a RTS view with the Jim raynor rifle targeting system. We may give the Zerg view effects like heat vision or something.

Blahh, this is taking too long, will post more later, or tomorrow

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY AN IDEA, AND I AM POSTING THIS TO OFFER SUGGESTION TO ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR IDEAS, I CANNOT MAKE MAPS WELL YET, AND I WILL LIKELY BE ONLY DOING A NOT-SO-MAJOR ROLE IF I AM PART OF A PROJECT. (AT least until I get better at the world editor, the main reason is because I dislike using it and the publishing system puts me down.)

Please let me know what you think :goblin_good_job:

Level 2
A few questions though,

What is the terrain set?
How many players is this map supposed to be played with? ( Maybe estimate it? )

Other than that, it sounds decent. I think the resource gathering part is kinda hard.. maybe u can just put it as minerals? you could have simple buildings at 1 minerals and more advanced buildings at 2 or more. I think that u could make it as a defense game better.

Level 3
I forgot that I even made this thread, sorry for not responding.

@RegisteredID
What is the terrain set?
-Probably Tarsonis, looks pretty earthlike and the ruins look cool

How many players is this map supposed to be played with? ( Maybe estimate it? )
-4-8 I guess.

@Illidans911
-Yeah generally fat kid.

I've not made much progress past the basic experimental triggers that don't really work and I am really busy at the moment with lots of homework and exams in a few weeks. Sorry, but I may just keep this idea in deep freeze for a while =\.

Level 10
Seems like a decent idea. However, the latter part of Fat Kids history in Halo 3 (not sure about Reach) involved the humans breaking through "walls" which would slow them down, allowing the initial zombie to close in (making it so that there was some kind of chance for the initial zombie to win). If they took too long, they die. If they reach the end, they get a vast amount of supplies that would theoretically allow them to win (getting them is one thing, using them is another). Adding something like that would make this game much more interesting then a spin-off of a zombie map.
Also, I hate survival games that go on forever, with no chance for one side to win. Add a time limit so that the humans can eventually win without killing the initial zombie (maybe ~8 minutes or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.