• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Idea: Alien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Alien

Plot
This game is based off the 1979 film in which a crew of seven members leaves from a planet called Thenus with a large mineral supply heading for Earth. However along the way the ship picks up a distress signal and as the result of protocol are required to check it out. When they do they find there is a crash site, and what appears to be foreign and non-human technology. Upon further examination a nest is found, and one of the crew members becomes impregnated with an Alien. Despite the protocol to not let him back in, he is let back in, and the Alien has escaped.

Terrain
The game will take place on the ship, along with the alien crash site and a small space view of the ship, and Earth (and an escape pod when used). The ship would have multiple stories of height reaching three. The center being the main area, the lowest being the piping and electrical-sub levels, and the third being a cargo area (with of course some other areas).

Players, Roles, and Gameplay

Roles
There will be seven maximum players, the same number as the crew from the movie. Their will be eight roles assigned, one of which is assigned later on in the game. The roles are as followed: Captain, Executive Officer, Navigator, Warrant Officer, Science Officer, Engineer, Janitor, and Alien)

Alien Player
Who the alien is will be decided by an abnormal system. Three of the players that enter the game will be randomly selected to be the ground team to investigate the crash site. Due to the planets pressure, they are wearing special suits, these suits require them to be moving almost constantly so if they do not they will be killed by the pressure. The nest sight will be randomly placed along the crash site. Whomever finds it first will become the inpregnated. The Alien will have a few stages. It will begin with a human, with the facehugger still attached to his face. Players will be given a period of time to gather supplies things like that, during this period. The Alien will be unable to see, or talk during this time. But he can hear, and thus read what others are saying. In a short time, he will be killed by the chestbuster, in which he will be given control. He is small, not very strong, but he is fast and agile and can hide in small places that survivors cannot reach. In time he will grow to his full size, he will lose some of his hiding spots, but he will stil have some, all of which can be accessed by humans, but they are areas that survivors will have speed reduction, like ducts, or wiring and pipe sub-levels. The Alien cannot talk during the game. In order for the alien to upgrade to his higher forms, he must kill survivors. If the Alien does not kill and eat a victim within certain periods of time, he will die.

Cyborg Player
The Cyborg will be chosen randomly after the ground team has already come back. The Cyborg helps the Alien while attempting to be hidden among the other players. The Alien however does not help the Cyborg and does not know who he is. Despite the fact that the movie focused on the Science Officer, the game can make the cyborg any of the players (of course except the Alien). The Cyborg will be stronger then regular humans, in order to active his true strength, he must use a turn on/off ability, although he is stronger, he is not over powered. The Cyborg should refrain from using this skill as long as possible. Once the Cyborg is dead, survivors can ask the player questions, and he may give you access codes to certain areas or databases that were otherwise unavailable to the survivors. If the Cyborg lies, or chooses not to tell anything. The survivors can compeltely kill the Cyborg, or the engineer can hack him with the right tools and recieve the codes. Once killed the Cyborg can still see, however only around his body, he can still talk as well, and read text, but he cannot move or attack.

Survivors
Some survivors will be female or male, some will be of different ethnicities as well. Due to these differences stat changes will be made. So if a player was male, he will be initially stronger then the female. If a player is a scientist, then they will have access to some restricted areas, and thus access to technology other players don't, however a scientist is relatively weak.

Certain players will have keycards to access certain computer databases and manipulate things like power, artificial gravity, and doors. Some Survivors will have certain abilities to change the course of the game. For instance the navigator can redirect the ship for a small period of time, adding more time to the game.

Weapons
The Weapons will be limited, it will include: 3-4 Flamethrowers, one pistol, Miscellanious melee objects (like wrenches or pipes), and item based abilities (such as keycards).

Items
There will be items, but once again, limited. Medical items consist of bandages, anti-virals, anti-bacterials, and stem cells to regenerate, protect, and remove microscopic enemies.

Cameras
There would be fixed cameras both inside and outside the ship and they can be viewed on television doodads, or you can access a console to get a full screen view of the cameras location.

Self-Destruct Sequence and Escape Pod Terms

Self-Destruct Sequence
The Self-Destruct sequence requires approximately one minutes to activate. Once activated it will require approximately four minutes to detonate. Within this time the destruct sequence can be turned off (only by survivors or the cyborg). This period of time will be approximately the first two of the four minutes. It will take thirty seconds to turn off the sequence. This feature cannot be activated until there is only six minutes left in the game.

Escape Pod
There is only one, and it can only house up to four players (and an Alien if he is onboard) it takes approximately ten seconds for the escape pod to eject, and approximately fourty-five seconds to get within a safe distance of the explosion. This feature cannot be accessed until there are four minutes left in the game.

Victory Conditions
There will be a timer that countdowns your return to earth set to approximately 25-35 minutes.

The game will house eight different endings which are listed below:

1. All Players die (By the ships Self-Destruction Sequence)
2. The Survivors die
3. The Alien dies
4. The Self-Destruct sequence is initiated and (a) player(s) escape using the escape pod in time.
5. The Self-Destruct sequence is initiated and (a) player(s) take off in the escape pod, but the Alien is onboard and kills all the players.
6. The Self-Destruct sequence is initiated and (a) player(s) take off in the escape pod, but the Alien is onboard, however the Survivors defeat the Alien.
7. (A) Player(s) escape using the escape pod, however the self-destruction sequence was never initiated. The Alien still reaches Earth.
8. Survivors live, along with the Alien and reach Earth.

that is all for now, it is likely that I will add more information later so be sure to check in every now and then.
Hope you liked the idea
Feel free to add questions, comments or ideas.
Thanks for your time!

Level 22
I'm looking forward to Starcraft II for many reasons. One being that it's in a futuristic setting and all of the Alien/robot maps that everyone wished to design in Warcraft III will look much better in Starcraft II. Best of luck with this project. :)

Which is why since I heard about SC2 in 2007, I abandoned any war3 map and created so far casual things. Exactly cause why go through the trouble of making futuristic everything when you have SC2 to put your futuristic models into and it is uncomparable to war3 in graphics :)

Level 4
Thanks for all your feedback!

As to when I will have a copy of starcraft II is unsure regardless of the release date. Probably within the first month or two months but still. I am not that skilled at making maps really, thus its an idea. But, I am a good story writer, and a fairly good terrainer when given the correct tools to do so.

So whenever I do get a copy of Starcraft II I would like to start up a mapping team for this game. Which I will be getting the game ASAP. Anyone unofficially willing to join a mapping team for this game(notice the unofficial :D)?

Excellent story ideals. I love it.
There are a few noticeable things such as timers, etc (having them at all).
Maybe put in a script for when the game is over, it restarts as a new round?
I have a few ideas, and I'd love to join your unofficial map making team. I too intend to get SC2 as soon as it comes out, but of course we will all have to get used to the world editor.
I don't check THW as much as I'd like to. If you're interested in my ideas, me being on the unofficial team, or both, add my msn. I'm on almost every day.
[email protected]

Look forward to talking to you soon.

Level 9
Despite the protocol to not let him back in, he is let back in, and the Alien has escaped.

I... what? You are approaching Hamlet-level plot failure.

There will be seven maximum players
This is an example of something that should NOT be kept! Parasite is barely fun enough with 6, LIMITING to 7?

Due to the planets pressure, they are wearing special suits, these suits require them to be moving almost constantly so if they do not they will be killed by the pressure.

While you're at it, make sure to worship a rock to prevent the sun from exploding every other minute.

Some survivors will be female or male, some will be of different ethnicities as well. Due to these differences stat changes will be made. So if a player was male, he will be initially stronger then the female.

Ooh, a breeding ground for sexism AND racism! Also, tons more models to be found! Woot.

Personally, Im waiting on Parasite 3 and/or Metastasis 2.

Level 4
Ahh moogle...funny guy, your offically the only person to disagree with anything xD.

Surprised? Probably not. I have reasons for what I said which I'm to lazy to go into I'll just say wow and leave it at that lol.

Level 4
Great idea, i remember a similar map on SC1 and it was great. never really got into parasite or metastasis as much... i remember i tried to recreat this on sc1 but i got lazy and i tried to expand it into an rts based on the vessel reaching earth etc.etc.

I... what? You are approaching Hamlet-level plot failure.

This is an example of something that should NOT be kept! Parasite is barely fun enough with 6, LIMITING to 7?

While you're at it, make sure to worship a rock to prevent the sun from exploding every other minute.

Ooh, a breeding ground for sexism AND racism! Also, tons more models to be found! Woot.

Personally, Im waiting on Parasite 3 and/or Metastasis 2.
1: yes i agree with this but in the game it might be expanded abit such as: "Protocal dictates that no crew infected in any way are aloud to board the ship, however in their sympathy and limited understanding of this organism the crew decided to bring him in for medical treatment"

2: yes and i say lore should be sacrificed for gameplay in this one situation, although on the other hand this is a different game to parasite. this game would probalbly be designed around 7 players rather then being designed around 12 i think it is for Para

3: The idea of moving all the time would be designed so if none of the 3 players wanna be the alien then you dont get some boring ass stand off of each player defiently not being alien or something similar

4: Males are generally stronger, this is something game designers cant represent without getting sued or something... and where was racism in this thread?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I do not think this map idea boasts much orignality and will probably be drowned by competition unless you really know what you are doing. Additionally such maps are so prone to player fixing that they lose popularity prety quickly or atleast encourage a lot of hate.

As for the thread age... personal lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.