• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] Posting: Getting People to Look at your Thread

Level 12
Posting: Getting People to Look your Thread
A Guide on Posting or Creating Threads

Hello everyone! I was just looking around the Hive's Tutorial section when I realized there aren't any tutorials on posting. Hence, here I am!

Let's begin.

I. Foundations
Posting can be done anywhere. On a map, a thread and on another user's "wall". But there are some things which are expected of you when you post something.

1. Use BB Code when necessary
Using BB-codes can help readers look at your post with respect. BB Code can be (and should be) used when the situation arrives. BB Code can also save your readers time, especially if your post contains a fair amount of links. BB Codes are also used to [highlight]highlight[/code], color, provide images and many other more uses.

2. Use English. American to be exact
Pretty obvious isn't it? The Hive Workshop uses American English. It's easy to get mixed up since many words in the dictionary vary from British to English. The easiest way to counter this malicious threat is to use the auto-spell checker. Whenever a word is misspelled (or is using British English), the spell checker will underline it with a red squiggly line. You can right click on it and a small list of possible variants will appear. Most you know this already so I won't rant on about it.

3. Use your English properly.
loL!!!!!!11 I <3 H1vE 2!!!

Didn't like that did you? Most of you can safely decipher that message with relative ease but some hardcore ASCII fans would just boggle your minds out.

The message is simple, keep your messages simple. Don't use ASCII art. Nobody likes it. Type out your words correctly and neatly. dun do dis. Sorry folks, when you CAPITALIZE EVERY SINGLE LETTER IN YOUR SENTENCE, we don't like it. Call us Grammar Nazis, but that's who we are. And last but (and especially) not least, spell it out. Like I said before, there's an auto-spell checker on the Hive. Use it wisely, young one.

4. We don't like walls of text.
would be this
Your hero is a Tech, General Tirex. You've learned one year before that the Tech's government, the Ryanko, was planning to create a new weapon, a weapon that will allow them to make planets explode. General Tirex doesn't agree with this idea. So you are planning to escape from your planet with somes Techs soldiers. You formed a new organization, The Conquerors, who plans to advise most planets as possible that the Ryanko is making this weapons. The first planet you will advice is a Powers's planet, Tormentor. Instead of fighting with you against the Ryanko, Powers's government, The Sombark, decided to bring you in jail and to try to get this weapons to use it against Mass, a decision that The Conqueror doesn't agree. A groups of Powers decided to help you evade from the jail and to get back to your vessel in exchange of bringing them in their vessel. Their leader, Doggy Salvador, decided to give you somes jobs offered by somes smalls planets. If you do these jobs, you will get a lot of money. Somes jobs later, Doggy Salvador will tell you that you mustn't advice anyone about the Tech's weapon and you only need to destroy it and all plans about how to create it. You will then have to declares war to Forteresse, the Tech's main planet. But, before to do this, you will need a lot of soldier. Doggy Salvador will tells you a secret, he knows where to find these allies. You will have to go into a dark portal to be teleported to Abscourat, the Avatar's main planet. There, you will have to show your courage and your loyolty to the Avatar's nation. A powerful Avatar, a girl named Jasichi, will go in your spirit. You will have to pass through a dungeon. This dungeon is full of creatures, you will need to show your courage by killing them without hesitation. Then, Avatars will help you in the assault against Forteresse. Somes days later, the assault begin. You will first have to destroy the Tech's fleet, the 4 Orbital Station, and the 7 Spaces Canons. Then, the ground assault. You will have to establish a base by destroying an army base. all was planified by Doggy Salvador, you won't be able to gather ressources, that's why he told you about jobs somes missions before. with this base, you will have to form somes soldiers, Tech soldier and Power soldiers. Before the beginning of the ground assault, the Avatar's commander told you that he was planning to attacks another place on Forteresse, there was something Avatars was needing. During the ground assault, your army will have to destroy all army facility and to find the Main Science Facility and to infiltrate it. Inside, you will have to find the main room where all informations are. In this room, you will find your old friend, the Forteresse's Army Commander. You promised to the Avatar's nation your loyolty. You had no choice. You killed him. In the room, you destroyed the weapons and the plans. You placed a D Bombs, a very powerful bomb that destroy everything in a medium radius, making what was destroyed into ashes, the buildings, the computer, your friend body... After the explosion, you go back to the base, but something was very strange. You found a kind of yellow levitating rock. You touched it and you saw a kind of movie. You saw Doggy Salvador who was talking to Jasichi. Jasichi wasn't on Forteresse to help you. She only beneficied of the chaos where Tirex was to kidnap a girl. They said that this girl had a power, a power very powerful. Then, all Avatar's soldier's body and the girl's body felt down. Their spirit all gones away. Tirex just realised that he made a big mistake. He and its soldier left Forteresse. Tirex tryed to find Doggy Salvador, but he was unable. In its vessel, he received a transmission. It was Doggy Salvador : Thanks you Tirex. You helped the Sera's Galaxy by destroying this weapon. But now, I need to leave you. Go on this planet, Dactaroks, it's a Power's planet, but they will accept you as heroes. It will probably make you surprising, but i'm this planet's king, so you will be out of danger here. Relax, relax for long time. Make sure that everyone will hears this message, because I have another mission, and I won't come back before at least one year. Good luck, Tirex!
And that's how the first campaign end. The Tech's campaign : The Tech's Weapons.
The next campaign is a Power campaign, where Mass will be more present as ennemy.

I suppose only 2% of all you Hive users out there would take the time to read that.

5. Don't flame.
This applies especially to you malicious religious haters, trolls and political heaters. Your opinions and my opinions may be different. But you swearing and calling names will not change my view, in fact, it would strengthen it. Nobody likes trolls. A religious person who doesn't troll doesn't like a religious troll while an anti-religious person who doesn't troll doesn't like an anti-religious troll. Flame threads are bad, not good for your health and stray from the main topic. Period.

In the same way, don't be so sensitive. If someone says "IMO, God doesn't exist. He's a lie", don't go all b*tch and start swearing. I'm addressing religious topics because they're the easiest to begin with. If you don't like it and have nothing to say, don't resort to cussing and being impolite. If you have something to say about it, say it nicely. If you want to stop it, just make sure people will listen to you.

6. Be polite
The Hive does have some young users (such as myself). And although we may think they are old enough to swear, just don't do it. Swearing it like an ugly mark. It ruins the whole post, especially if it's a flaming post. By swearing, all you achieve is getting judged wrongly (or rightfully) and possibly even emphasizing your point. But I'm not saying don't swear to emphasize. Just use it as a last resort or as an example. If you don't like ponies, then I suggest you'd better keep it to yourself.

7. Understand what you're posting

Don't post things that you clearly don't understand. If there's a thread about politics and you haven't got a clue about what they're saying, just don't post.

8. Coloring your entire post doesn't help.
Copied this entire thread and colored it.
Posting: Getting People to Look your Thread
A Guide on Posting or Creating Threads

Hello everyone! I was just looking around the Hive's Tutorial section when I realized there aren't any tutorials on posting. Hence, here I am!

Table of Contents
I. Foundations
II. When?
III. Why?
IV. Dos and Don'ts
V. Designing & Layout
VI. Others
I. Foundations
Posting can be done anywhere. On a map, a thread and on another user's "wall". But there are some things which are expected of you when you post something.

1. Use BB Code when necessary
Using BB-codes can help readers look at your post with respect. BB Code can be (and should be) used when the situation arrives. BB Code can also save your readers time, especially if your post contains a fair amount of links. BB Codes are also used to [highlight]highlight[/code], color, provide images and many other more uses.

2. Use English. American to be exact
Pretty obvious isn't it? The Hive Workshop uses American English. It's easy to get mixed up since many words in the dictionary vary from British to English. The easiest way to counter this malicious threat is to use the auto-spell checker. Whenever a word is misspelled (or is using British English), the spell checker will underline it with a red squiggly line. You can right click on it and a small list of possible variants will appear. Most you know this already so I won't rant on about it.

3. Use your English properly.
loL!!!!!!11 I <3 H1vE 2!!!

Didn't like that did you? Most of you can safely decipher that message with relative ease but some hardcore ASCII fans would just boggle your minds out.

The message is simple, keep your messages simple. Don't use ASCII art. Nobody likes it. Type out your words correctly and neatly. dun do dis. Sorry folks, when you CAPITALIZE EVERY SINGLE LETTER IN YOUR SENTENCE, we don't like it. Call us Grammar Nazis, but that's who we are. And last but (and especially) not least, spell it out. Like I said before, there's an auto-spell checker on the Hive. Use it wisely, young one.

4. We don't like walls of text.
Simple enough. The Hive encourages users to share their opinions and write to their hearts content. But if you're going to do that all in one paragraph, then I suggest take some time to read other user's walls of text and see how you like it. Take time to divide your paragraphs and highlight any important features you would like your readers to notice.

5. Don't flame.
This applies especially to you malicious religious haters, trolls and political heaters. Your opinions and my opinions may be different. But you swearing and calling names will not change my view, in fact, it would strengthen it. Nobody likes trolls. A religious person who doesn't troll doesn't like a religious troll while an anti-religious person who doesn't troll doesn't like an anti-religious troll. Flame threads are bad, not good for your health and stray from the main topic. Period.

In the same way, don't be so sensitive. If someone says "IMO, God doesn't exist. He's a lie", don't go all b*tch and start swearing. I'm addressing religious topics because they're the easiest to begin with. If you don't like it and have nothing to say, don't resort to cussing and being impolite. If you have something to say about it, say it nicely. If you want to stop it, just make sure people will listen to you.

6. Be polite
The Hive does have some young users (such as myself). And although we may think they are old enough to swear, just don't do it. Swearing it like an ugly mark. It ruins the whole post, especially if it's a flaming post. By swearing, all you achieve is getting judged wrongly (or rightfully) and possibly even emphasizing your point. But I'm not saying don't swear to emphasize. Just use it as a last resort or as an example. If you don't like ponies, then I suggest you'd better keep it to yourself.

7. Understand what you're posting

Don't post things that you clearly don't understand. If there's a thread about politics and you haven't got a clue about what they're saying, just don't post.

What eyesore huh? Yes folks, just because it's colored, doesn't mean that people will like it. Forums aren't TV's. The more the color the better. Nope. We like our posts neat, systematic and polite. Use the color function only for attracting attention or highlighting.

Well. I hope you enjoyed this and good luck on your posting adventures.

This is just a rough guide on what to do and what not to do.

When you saw the hidden text intensive message on number 7, there was a table of contents. It was there because I wanted this tutorial to be more detailed but since this was already so long I just decided to skip it.

So long. Farewell! And happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't mention specific cases, such as in part 7, to purposely degrade a user. (even if they are banned)

In general, these points are kind of already stated in the rules. Most of the other stuff are addressed in other tutorials/are common sense.

I'm going to let this stay in the tutorial submission for a little bit so you can see my reply, but otherwise I'm afraid that much of the tutorial had already been covered. Sorry. :(

Level 26
Please refrain from steadily using first person plural as if you were to represent the whole community/regular opinion or at least alternate it to show that it is your view of the forum's majority. After all, this layout of an etiquette was written by you.

Point seven's example is not brilliant but bad. It is totally unrelated what format the picture possessed. The answerers only purposely took their fun out of this, it seems. True misunderstandings can be kindly cleared up. Of course, people should not excessively confident spread out wrong facts as this may lead to a waste of work, hinder the discussion or bring others to false conclusions but arguing complicates things even more.

I have nothing against ponies but spamming pictures of them where they do not belong is not necessary.