• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] How to effectively ask for help/recruit for your project

Note: This tutorial is currently unfinished, I will update it as I continue to write it

How to effectively ask for help/recruit for your wc3/sc2 modding project

Problem:
Browse through the Recruitment and Requesting forums and you'll see that many, many people fail to understand how to effectively get support for their projects, leading to threads that simply end in bumps until their dead or a few people with 1 post that leave soon after volunteering to help but never actually getting to it. Often these people seem to wonder why no one is interested in their project, or why their thread is completely ignored.

Answer
Face the facts - no one will be interested in your project if you don't present it well. Like any effective advertisement, it's up to you as the person creating the thread to sell your "product" to the people. The more effectively you do this, the more help and the higher quality help you will receive in the process.

Let's start by examining how NOT to present your project.
(all examples are hypothetical - but very typical)

All too many people fall into some specific mistakes that always end up sour on their part.

Mistake #1:
Saying absolutely minimum about pretty much any details concerning your project.

Example said:
Hey guys, I just came up with an RPG idea, I've got the basic story down but I need to get some people to help!

Every time I see a thread like this, I want to somehow find a way to use the power of the internet to digitize my fist just to punch this guy halfway across the world for expecting any help for this sort of thing. It should be obvious, but let's examine the main errors here:

*You say absolutely nothing about your project. Not an inkling of the proposed project is presented except for the fact that it is an RPG. No one will be interested as you've given them nothing at all to be interested in. This is a big red X that essentially says you don't want any help - people will happily oblige to this.

*You don't say what you need anyone to do. How do you expect people to help you if even you don't know what you want them to do? More importantly, you don't state what you yourself will do. Many people seem to give this impression that they need others to do the whole map for them - being a "team leader" isn't exactly going to cut it and for a project to work effectively, everyone needs to be doing at least something.

Overall the main flaw in this is that the thread overall looks half-@$$, as if you had spontaneously came up with the idea like 5 seconds ago and then started rushing to get people to code the whole map for you.
If you learn anything from this tutorial, anything at all, take this and don't be this guy - he NEVER gets any help for his project.

Mistake #2:
Complete Cliche - no real idea at all

Example said:
Hey guys, I just had an idea to make an RPG which will have tons of features and a big map.

Class List:
-Archer: uses arrows to fight enemies from afar
-Warrior: uses swords for melee combat
-Priest: heals allies

The game takes place in a land called Duranar where dark creatures have began taking residents.

Features:
-Different professions
-200+ items
-Mounts
-Custom Inventory System

Terrain progress:
|||||||||||| x%
Coding progress:
|||||||||||| x%

Okay, so this looks more acceptable - yet it still is majorly lacking and may fetch a few people to help, but won't fetch anyone with some real experience. Let's examine this thread's main errors:

*The main problem is this thread is just one huge cliche. No one will be interested, as no one wants to work on what's been done hundreds of times. Stop digging in the bargain bin of old tired ideas and come up with something truly interesting.

*Building on the above point, being cliche it also looks like a half thought out idea - it's like mixing together key RPG terms in a blender to create a flavorless smoothie.

*"Archer: uses arrows to fight enemies from afar" - Orly? The reader can infer this, especially since they've seen a million other archers before. Not everything can be original in a project, at least not in just any project - if the reader can infer something correctly, don't insult their intelligence.

Last edited:
Hmmmm I had never noticed that there already was a tutorial on this
Idk, I may try and finish writing it anyway but if there's already a duplicate (probably written better then mine)...

I was trying to work off pointing out major common errors by use of example, then go on to suggest how to actually improve your own requests/recruitment.