• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Possible to make a unit selectable, but not controllable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
What i mean by the thread title, is that ive been making a 3 player map recently. While testing the heroes, one of my friends complaints was that he was unable to select allies units in order to cast direct heals, and that it was sometimes hard to get line of sight to cast.

So, as a result im trying to find a way to make a unit selectable so he can heal by the "card", if you understand what i mean. But obviously, i dont want full unit control shared between all heroes/players, since....well, that kinda ruins it.

Level 26
Clicking any ability on the command card would be controlling it. And probably casting the heal will impede the unit's actions.

Suggestion: Detect smart order targeting the healer, check if the ordered unit is nearby, then order it to cast. In any way, you will have to restore the healer's original task afterwards.

You can make it so that you can buy an item off that unit and that will trigger a heal to that unit you are buying the item from.
It can work just like a spell, although you would have to make it so a unit is shopping at that unit at all times.
(You can use tomes to make it so that you don't have have an open item slot to just remove the item)

Other than the unit acting like a shop I can't think of anything else atm.

Level 2
Waterknight, what i meant was, i need the healer to be able to drag select the units, but not command them to do anything. as in, he wants to have all the units selectable (the 3 heroes), so that he can heal by the icons at the bottom, rather than have to direct target, as LoS is apparently a problem.

Level 26
Using the Ward unit classification, you can black out the command cards and the 'Rally' ability may overwrite the rightclick.

Another idea would be to have dummy units and whenever you target them, it gets redirected to the corresponding hero. Since you say it's only about 3 heroes, an alternative to the unit selection display below would be to use the hero portraits on the left. The map Obsidian Depths e.g. does it this way, you can view and target your team mates via hero portrait dummies.

Level 2
Well....you dont need LoS to drag select? hes saying that fat enemies are stopping his direct targetting with the cursor, thats the problem.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

There are many solutions to this issue you're having, but the one you are asking is tricky. You want to heal heroes who are blocked by large units and the healer cannot use the spell directly because he/she doesn't see the hero.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Ally sharing is an option, but you don't want that.

2. You can do triggered heals that target an area, but heal the most heavily wounded hero instead.

3. You can "temporarily" control the unit, just to get the icon, heal it and then return it to its owner.

4. You can make automatic healing spells that will heal hero1, 2 or 3 depending on conditions specified like: heal most heavily damaged OR heal tank first OR heal random...

5. You can make a trigger that when the healer's player selects an ally hero, that hero gets instant or over-time healing.

There are too many solutions, but you need to pick which one suits you best.

Use share units, de-select and pause then unpause then resume current order for the units you don't want others to use besides that player. Otherwise have fun triggering. =)

I don't recall seeing a function to catch another player using someone else's units so that limits your possibilities.

You could also give the units Select Hero, in order to control it's abilities. It works on enemies/anything. Though yet again you don't know who is using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.