• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Possible project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi there, im new to this, got inspired to do a mod so ive been browsing engines, and it seems wc3 might be the one that lets me do what i want.

So on to the idea.

It is in short terms a battlefield mod, each player controls a hero and 1 squad.

at the start of each game the players buy their characters and units. its then a standard, to the death scenario.

The player is locked to chasecam on the character and has to use this view to control it and the squad.

The character has a couple of special attacks but compared to the whole squad, he wont be very powerful.

Each type of squad has its own set of special attacks, strengths and weaknesses.

So what im asking about is.

1. is there any real good unit grouping system? i know eleandor has made one, theres also one on youtube, whose inventor im trying to get a hold of at the moment.

2. chasecam, and a good controlsystem from that view, using wasd.

3. what is the maximum amount of players in wc3?

Level 2
1. i want the units to walk in formations, as in for example medieval 2
2. for example locking the camera to the players hero...

Level 2
1. you would have a bunch of units of the same type in a squad that walks in formations. the squad as a whole has a number of abilities that can be used.

2. thats what games are all about setting limitations, if everything was as easy as possible all you would need to do would be to press a button to win, limiting the camera, will make it harder to see the entire battle forcing people to speak to each other.

3. was the warsoc thingy goin to enable more than 12 players? idlove to see 16-20 players for this map

so i was wondering if anyone had seen any solutions by other people for these points?

Level 21
1. you would have a bunch of units of the same type in a squad that walks in formations. the squad as a whole has a number of abilities that can be used.
My system can do that...

The other guy is in the same clan I'm in, and I think he still has his system "somewhere" but it isn't fully polished up yet.

3. was the warsoc thingy goin to enable more than 12 players? idlove to see 16-20 players for this map
It ain't gonna happen soon. And when it does, you won't be able to play on battle.net so you'll need other servers and warsoc will probably be buggy for the next year(s). If you can't wait for a few years, you'll have to be happy with 12 players...[/QUOTE]

Level 2
im more looking to create LAN-maps.
1. thanks for the insight :) ill have a closer look at your system and see what i can squeeze out, i just need to learn to map for wc3 first :p

3. probably. i dont really understand why developers set these limitations, 6 players per side is enough though

5. so i want the players to be able to choose hero and then to choose unit type... not sure yet if the game will be ongoing for any length of time, with base and so on(like Dota), or if itll be one life each on a small battlefield...

Level 2
and i dont understand why... but someone said you could put the map in the .mpq or something and it could be bigger than 4mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.