• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Poll] Which are your favourite bosses? (1.2c)

Which boss fights do you like the most? (1.2c)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
The list goes from Ogre to Whitepine. Vote for your favourite boss fights, not the easiest or hardest, but simply the ones you like the most.
Low level bosses are not included as they are pretty straightforward tactics-wise. You have 3 votes.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I like Gazrow a lot. It's a simple, yet effective fight that is a great "easy" introduction to endgame content. Also, I like how the Overseer battle turned out.

Many people enjoy the Firelord. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of it. The mechanics of Ashes to Ashes never quite worked the way I intended them to. It's alright, but it could be better. I also should have thought of a mechanic that keeps the boss challenging even when stacking up on resistance.

Level 1
Hill Giant. Since he is the only boss I can take solo without getting a feeling that my game turned into Dark Souls(tm).
Therefore Giant-sempai is the best.

Level 10
I really enjoyed fighting andy back in the day during d3. i like the mechnic of having some shit you simply just can't kill and you have to micro manage dealing with them the entire fight.

the seer mechanics are also some of my fav, and Gargoyle made the list for sentimental values

Level 7
I voted for Gazrow, Lady, and Firelord.

I guess I'll start my explanation with the two D3 bosses that I voted for. I think I absolutely loved these two bosses because of the balancing issues that both presented.

Lady was fairly difficult to tank with a non actual tank class, but still required a squire class to taunt away the mark of vampire. So it presented the interesting dichotomy of needing either two full on tank classes, or a decently enough geared healer and DPS class. Both strategies presented their own unique challenges and due to the fact that we were level and gear capped, it kept the fight interesting for just about every group.

Firelord was interesting for similar balancing reasons. Sometimes having MORE people in this fight made it more difficult than fewer people. More DPS was good, but more ashes and more confusion could lead to easier wipes, this was interesting. Secondarily he pretty much required a second, totally unique set of gear to fight effectively. Having access to fight him but not being able to succeed because not having the proper gear set up was also fun to me. I think ultimately it came down to how difficult the content was versus how powerful our characters are though. Having world bosses as the hardest content for so long has really made the content feel too easy. When D3 was top tier, it was impossible to be over leveled and over geared for it, but with foothills and whitepines, we've pretty much been over geared and over leveled the entire time.

Gazrow got my last vote because hes pretty much the only boss in foothills and whitepines that punishes improper aggro management. His Enrage mechanic really forces an actual tank to need to tank him. Its the one boss where your armor value actually has somewhat of a significant impact. The attack speed of all of the other bosses makes our character's armor value negligible. It doesn't matter if its taking 300 or 240 damage (so a difference of 60 armor) we'll need to be healer after 2 attacks regardless of armor value. At Gazrow, because of his attack speed, we don't have time to get heals off between attacks 1 and 3, whereas on all of the other bosses, with a decent healer, its fairly easy to get heals off between attacks 1 and 3.

Level 3
1. Gazrow
2. Overseer
3. Brood Matriarch

I really like all mechanics of Gaz. Especially his enrage and how it punishes overagro very severely. I think we need more of this. Yes, you can kite him, but I've seen more than one whitepines gear team getting wiped on enrage. And his frost bomb speed is really perfect. You need to react fast in order to dodge it and does very good damage in foothills gear, especially possible crits.

As for seer, it is super dynamic fight in all phases. It's weird fight in a sense that it doesn't need traditional tank but oh well. Very happy with it overall. I also think it's best fight to show to someone who would be new to gaias to grab his interest. Very flashy and can work as good bait :D

As for Brood, I think it's just stable on all fronts. Dynamic, needs proper team composition and coordination and aoe is darn relevant. Also looks darn scary with those webs in middle of night, at least for people with arachnophobia.

And a small note. I think those must dodge spells like starfall should also have mana drain effect in future content. Strong mana drain. After outgearing and outleveling content, Zharo stars could literally be tanked in the face on char that has ~60 lightres (bish aura, souls, gear talents etc). Necros can also sit in stars and Seer laser easily. Damaging their mana would make them move and actually dodge those mechanics that should be dodged in the first place. Or some ugly debuff that lasts for duration of the fight like minus ress, haste or ms etc.
Whitepines actually had no need for real tank in 2/3 bossfights so I hope tank role gets more relevant in d4. Alongside with some aoe clearing.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I think you guys have some good points. My point with this thread was not only to see the popularity of each boss, but also to tell us something about what people like/want to see in a boss fight. Therefore your comments are brilliant.

@Box: I agree about the Firelord special gear thing and I believe that D4 needs at least one boss based on resistance gear. Hopefully more than one actually.

@froz: what you said about Brood Matriarch made me think about 'boss immersion'. I mean the fact that you literally fear a boss is a very good thing to strive for some bosses in the future. If you put more emotion into a fight it will be all the more enjoyable as a player.
I hope to see scary or just formidable-looking, 'unbeatable-looking' bosses in the future as well.

Level 7
I just realized you forgot to include The Shade! Although its pretty much just a slightly buffed up version of Andrazzar :D

Level 3
i like shade cause it is the firstboss that has the freez or sleep mechanic implemented. that said i think dazling trap needs to get a buff like the first it on a sleeping target allways crits and you deal extracrit dmg on that hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.