• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Player Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
What do you mean what is it useful for? Do you not know what the Get Mouse Position UI X,Y does?

How are you suppose to differentiate a position of 500,0 in a 1280x720 from a 500,0 1600x1200 if you don't know the resolutions before hand? How do you standardize the responses to the relative positions?

I thought this would be more then obvious. I can already do it indirectly, exactly what someone said before, ask and pray, but i'd rather have a direct method, one that doesn't rely on a newbs ability to correctly select his resolution, or even make sure all supported resolutions are listed (if its a drop down list), or to type it in correctly with the correct format.

Level 9
easy thing, it's not really direct but better than asking

make a short introduction and let them click at certain spots in the screen ( like click on this tree or that w/e).
so you dont even need to list all resolutions, just let the pc calculate it.
i think you will need at least 4 spots to click at. since you know where every of these spots are relativly to the screen you can use the absolute value to calculate the resolution.
should be fast and exact if you do it correctly. (fix the camera view :D)

edit: was already mentioned inside the other topic below.

Level 7
How does clicking in four positions let you calculate the resolution?

They click (0,0);(1,0);(0,1);(1,1) there resolution is 1280x720, calculate it consistently. You can have them click at the very bottom corner and add +1 but some people have difficulty doing this. I know from experience.

This is an indirect and unfavorable method, I guess the answer to my original question is simply no.

Level 9
maybe by the use of the distance between the 4 points??!!

having 10/10 relativly distance to bottom and left, bottom right, top right, top left
so those points are always 10 away from 2 sides.
the absolute distance between those points is the resolution?!?!?! +20, isn't it?
or having just 2 points diagonal, by the help of the mighty Pythagoras you might be able to calculate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.