• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Planning on creating a small unity learning/training team

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the title kinda explains it in short : I'm planning on creating a small unity development team.

I'm pretty sure you'll tell yourself that i'm just another of those guys posting on a forum with a precise idea and searching for people that could do the work. And in fact that's false. First, i don't have any precise game ideas atm, and i don't really care about what kind of game we might develop. Secondly, i decided to post this thread here rather than on some other site dedicated to the unity editor because hive has a great community which is quite nice and helpful aswell as being a lot polyvalent (coders, artists, modelers and so on).
I know that Statharas already presented a project of creating a game months ago, which failed, but it had some defaults imo such as everyone wanting to do something precise and nearly nobody being ready to work hard on a big project like that. And i don't want to repeat those errors, that's why we'll be starting small and try to have a strong organization from the beginning.

I think that most of people don't like big blocks of unorganized text like that, so now that i've explained a few stuff, i'll try to make the rest more clear.

About myself :

I'm a sixteen years old high school pupil from France. I used to map on Warcraft 3 a few years ago, but actually never released a complete map. I mainly like video games (LoL, DotA, Wc3, Counter-Strike, and a lot of other games) as an esport rather than a simple distraction (hardcore gamer spotted ^^).
In the last few years i participated to several projects, most of which failed actually, such as several maps, a multi-gaming community, a small video game on UDK, etc... And I've learnt quite a lot on how to manage a project from those past ones.
I recently started to learn the Unity 3D engine and how to use it, which actually brought me to the idea of creating this project.

How can i contribute ?

I can contribute in the programming field as i want to learn coding in unity and already have some programming basics and a bit of past experience in several languages.
I also think i can manage the project atleast at the start and organize the work.

About the project itself :

The idea is to create a small Learning/training environment for Unity axed around the creation of a small game.
The goal here is not to create a game, but to learn and train together as a team, the game itself being only a side-objective. Afterall, we don't have any deadline or such things, and we should concentrate on working on a regular and serious basis rather than rushing it and create some messy stuff, right ?

Talking about the game, the objective here is not to create some big amazing game, but rather to see what we are able to do, atleast at the start. Monetization and such aren't really part of the project as once again we don't plan on creating something big for the start.

The nature of the game will depend of the composition of the team (i.e. if there's no great artist, then we should avoid anything that requires complex/nice graphics) aswell as the individual skill of everyone (if we've got talented people we can do something better than if we're only beginners).

Once there will be enough people motivated in the project, we will be able to think on a game idea together and start to work on it. Once we will have set up the game idea and developped it, we will write a To Do list containing everything that has to been done to create the basic idea behind that game. Then, we will complete that list everytime a part of the work is finished and complete it by going more in the details or adding the optional stuff.

Also, as communication is really important in that type of project, we will have to decide early about how we will communicate together and transfer our work to each other. I think that no matter how much we are, we will need to be able to have real-time conversation either it is Skype or hive's chat aswell as not real-time ones (private messages ?). But as we might be more than 3-4 we will need to be able to communicate all together decently and might need something better, maybe a Social Group ?
About giving to each other our individual work and actually being able to work together, we could maybe use a cloud such as Dropbox.

How to join the project ?

Just post here and tell the others about yourselves with atleast the reasons you want to participate to this project for and how you will be able to contribute.

Everyone is welcome, experimented people aswell as beginners aslong as you are motivated to work on this project.

By the way, if you have any question, you can contact me by posting on this thread, by writing me a private/visitor message here or on Skype : Vladadamm

Hmm, yeah i haven't explained that much about the coordination in my post.

As i said, a To Do list is essential. From this To Do list, we should split the different elements of the list between us. For the splitting part, i think the best would be letting people choose what they would prefer doing in that list (unless there's something essential for the continuation of the development which has to be done), as i don't think forcing others to do something is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.