• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Planing a MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ever wanted to make a MMORPG? Now im searching for a team. I need :

Modellers,Concept Makers,*Designers*,Programmers that know C++.Maybe I forget somes.. tell me if I.
Here is what im planning to do :

A futurist Punk style game.

Year 2037, the cops recently effectued a cleaning operation. The drug baron is becoming mad and the are getting more dangerous day after day. A war old of 80 years is not discovered. Everybody murder every other. The Carnage is reigning in the streets of new-new york city.

Features I want in game: - 2 Teams (Rebels & Ops)
- Inventory system
- Npc
- Pvp option
- Complete skill system
- Complete inventory system
- Low Polygon model
- Around 30 server
- Quest and Map System
- Lot of Skills and Items

Note: I dont want there be class. Only learn skill and buy weapon.

There will be more only that they are not choosed yet

If interested Email me :[email protected] ( No spam ) or reply in this topic

Level 7
Imo, Futuristic RPGs arent good! The real RPG game needs Axes, Swords, Armor! Thats the spirit but not Ray Guns & Plasma Armor! Normal RPGs are fun while Futuristic RPGs are way too boring... Sorry I cant but u can change the "Futuristic" 2 Normal with the same idea! That would be great...

Level 2
Doodi said:
Imo, Futuristic RPGs arent good!

Well that's ur opinion.. but dont you think its would be great like .... I mean just imagine it and maybe you will see what I mean even if I dont said it

Level 2
Doodi said:
im gonna play it if u put it in the resources (When its done lol) Hehehehehehehe I like being positive! :D

Yea.. 1 thing. I wont put it in ressource and it wont be Wc3 3 game... Ps: for the last one sorry dont remember name.. That wont be the first time I create a game but for now i just need a team heh.I can do it alone but it take way more time

Level 7
Vini said:
Doodi said:
im gonna play it if u put it in the resources (When its done lol) Hehehehehehehe I like being positive! :D

Yea.. 1 thing. I wont put it in ressource and it wont be Wc3 3 game... Ps: for the last one sorry dont remember name.. That wont be the first time I create a game but for now i just need a team heh.I can do it alone but it take way more time

It wount be a warcraft 3 game? U mean u wont use the WE? Or wat??? Im confused!!! :?

Level 2
Well... as i see I think I will have to go on an other forum to find people.

Level 8
Well, this is going to some rough going. I know of a very good place to find programmers or modellers or even 2D artists: GameDev.Net in the "Help Wanted" forum. It's a very active site, and I'm there also.

Now, are you going to do some programming? I hope that you have prior experience and have written a console game, then a game with SDL or Allegro. For your game, if you are using MSVSC++ 6.0 then you can use DirectX if your game will be Windows only. (DirectX handles almost everything to creating a game, but you will have to create a 3D file format and loader.) Alternatively, you can use OpenGL. (OpenGL handles 3D graphics with ease, but you will have to create a 3D file format and loader. The functions that are wrapped up in open GL are very easy to learn, and for many great tutorials, NeHe OpenGL Tutorials.)

There are probably libraries somewhere that load the file format for you, but you still have to work to display it in most cases. A very good graphics engine is the OGRE Engine. It's graphics capabilities are superior to almost anything I've ever seen. Please note: IT IS ONLY FOR GRAPHICS AND HANDLES NOTHING ELSE. Also, all of the above listed engines do not handle keyboard input or sound. You will have to write your own stuff for that, or find some good libraries. For sound, as long as you aren't selling your game, you can use FMOD for free. It can play many sound formats according to what I've read, but I have never used it, so I don't know how easy it's functions are to learn.

You will also have to write some functions so that you can make your connections to a server possible, which leads me to my next point: I have never seen any game with 30 servers. Trust me, that will be a tremendous cost, and it's not worth the hassle. I don't know if Winsock is what you want, because that is for Windows only.

Most modelers at GameDev.Net have either 3DSMAX or MAYA, or even Blender. Also, you should research which file format is best for you.

I don't want to discourage you, but you should understand that this will be a hard, long road. If you keep on it, you will be able to finish it, and hopefully, you will be able to have a lot of success with it. This isn't a process that will happen overnight. Who knows. It may take a year, or six months depending on the people you get working with you. As long as they want to finish it, you should have no problem.

Best of luck to you, from a fellow programmer, orcfan32.

EDIT: Posted some outside links. If you still want them, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.