• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Phoenix Fire replacement

Level 14
I have been working years on Battleships, with is a moba where the weapons fire automatically in a certain range. The weapons are based on phoenix fire, which always lead to limitations in implementation. So my idea was to build a custom missile system, which allows much more to work with the projectiles.

I have a few questions about that:
Does it even make sense? Is there a better way? And if its possible will the performance be affected?
Just open for a general discussion and ideas.

Thanks

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
The performance will most likely be affected and would be the limiting factor, but it's also going to open the door to some really cool possibilities.

That being said, this system seems to have great performance:

I'll mess around with some examples and post a demo map here.

Edit: Attached a map with an example using Chopinski's missile system. Requires the latest patch to open.

Attachments

• Battleship Missile System 1.w3x
    99.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Level 23
You can use locust dummies as "guns" rather than projectiles. That's how vehicle guns work in my map.
They attack like normal units do. The dummies have 0 foreswing and are moved with SetUnitX/Y so they can fire while the vehicle is moving.

Also what I did was limit firing arcs on the guns by detecting "unit is attacked" and if the target is not within the right angle from the vehicle, seek a different target that fits. Not sure how much sense it would make in battleships, on one hand it would be cool to have prow guns, rear guns, broadsides etc but on another it may be too finicky and maybe it's better and easier to play if it's more abstract.

Last edited:
Level 14
The performance will most likely be affected and would be the limiting factor, but it's also going to open the door to some really cool possibilities.

That being said, this system seems to have great performance:

I'll mess around with some examples and post a demo map here.

Edit: Attached a map with an example using Chopinski's missile system. Requires the latest patch to open.
This is great. Thank you so much. I will see what I can do with this, because its probably better to make some of the manual gui work into a library.