• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Pcsx2 and virtual dvd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
1) Currently I have pcsx2 v1.0 and works with my old playstation2 cds...one problem the graphics is too slow, seems like I was running only 15fps when there are a lot of effects around like explosions and many units around in God of War 2...is this something to do with my hardware or settings?...I have a B960 CPU and a 4gb RAM...

2) I want to put all my cd/dvd games a single HDD and load it via Magic ISO, is it advisable?...

3) What is the best backup restoration manager out there, currently I use Macrium, is there any better?...

1) Yeah, emulation software is always slow. They optimize these games for PS2 because they know that only the PS2 is going to run them, meaning they only have to address PS2 hardware. Try increasing the priority of PCSX2 in the task manager, and experiment with the graphics settings. (Graphics is your only bottleneck)

2) Why not? CDs are not very reliable. You could easily lose your data. HDDs last for ~30 years on average.

Level 8
1. version 1.0, is that really the lastest?
Otherwise, well that processor is pretty weak. I'm not sure if the emulator actually uses dual-core, either. It's completely possible that it can work though, there are over 9000 speedhacks and settings in pcsx2. You should probably google them up.

(EDIT: Looks like you're using a laptop, by the way. Laptops usually have bad, baaad graphic cards.)

2. Depends on if the games work while mounted virtually with virtual mounting tool x. Newer games might have security measures to avoid this possibility, so you might have to pirate them or get cracks :D!

Oh and putting everything on one hdd backup backup etc
(I never backup because I'm too lazy and being a hypocrite is fun.)

3. No clue. Well, I guess to google you must go.

Level 29
I have set the task bar priorities but still not working, I guess maybe due to my graphics card? but why its not slow on my other games such as skyrim, dead island even battlefield 3 and Crysis 2?...

I do not understand about the pcsx2 speedhacks, perhaps a little bit of explanation first before I google it? :D

2) I dislike to swap CD's that's why I thought about it, Im including also movies hehe...

Level 17
To be quiet honest, I lag with the emulator with an i7 processor. It's a laptop though, and my graphics card (GT 540M) is a little lackluster. You need a beast of a machine to run most games properly, and you also need a lot of set up/tinkering with various plug ins. Try checking the PCSX2 forums.

Still, emulation software is soooooo unoptimized. PS2s are just pocket change now, you could buy a new one for under a hundred bucks in certain places, or a used one for like 20-40 bucks.

It's just not worth the hassle, imo.

Level 8
To be quiet honest, I lag with the emulator with an i7 processor. It's a laptop though, and my graphics card (GT 540M) is a little lackluster. You need a beast of a machine to run most games properly, and you also need a lot of set up/tinkering with various plug ins. Try checking the PCSX2 forums.

Still, emulation software is soooooo unoptimized. PS2s are just pocket change now, you could buy a new one for under a hundred bucks in certain places, or a used one for like 20-40 bucks.

It's just not worth the hassle, imo.

The problem isn't the cost of the ps2, it's the cost of the games. Sadly, ps2s require various mods (ok, some of them aren't that hard, and don't necessarily cost anything) to be able to play *ahem* backup game cds, so you can't go that route easily (and you still have to pay for the dvds to write it on if you do).

Level 8
You don't really need a monster rig, lol. Though I guess I do actually have a bit of one... Hmm. And yeah, it prolly won't be the same unless you hook it up to a tv and use a control converter or somesuch thingy.

Level 29
I dont really mind the costs of the games and to buy a ps2 or ps3 console (but I prefer xbox), but atm I dont have a tv to connect it and I preffer to play it in my computer, I dont like to buy another computer again just to play those game I mentioned...

Maybe its just my hardware coz I've seen some psx2 GOW in youtube, it doesnt lag, but I've read that they're using some plugins...

and you still have to pay for the dvds to write it on if you do
I already bought it long time ago, problem of some cd's of mine is I cant carry all of them when Im traveling...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1) Currently I have pcsx2 v1.0 and works with my old playstation2 cds...one problem the graphics is too slow, seems like I was running only 15fps when there are a lot of effects around like explosions and many units around in God of War 2...is this something to do with my hardware or settings?...I have a B960 CPU and a 4gb RAM...
Try with different plugin settings. Avoid resolution enhancement as some emulated effects scale very poorly. Try both graphic plugins for performance. Also consider testing Software graphic emulation as that might perform better with some visual operations.

2) I want to put all my cd/dvd games a single HDD and load it via Magic ISO, is it advisable?...
There is a PCSX2 plugin that allows you to load .iso and similar backup images directly in the emulator. This is by far the most efficient way to do it. Be aware that some games will not like the ultra-fast load speed from disk and may cause compatibility problems.

Still, emulation software is soooooo unoptimized.
No it is highly optimized. The problem is that the hardware design of the PS2 is poorly suited for emulation on the standard PC. The major problem is the simulation of timing between the various processors inside the PS2. Additionally the translation of graphic commands is also very slow as they do not nescescarilly map 1:1 with PC graphic commands and all PC graphic commands need to be sent in a single batch.

I am able to run both Final Fantasy 10 and 12 with great performance. Only certain visual scenes cause performance difficulties but most of the game play is at full 60 FPS at my screen resolution. I use a 2.7 GHz I7 early generation processor.

This was back on PCSX 0.7 so I suspect similar performance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.