• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Pause Effect Dmg+ Dmg over time AoE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi i tried alot to perfect this ability and realized it's not gonna work. I need an ability that has 4 levels, when you cast it it pauses enemy units in an 400 aoe of casting unit for a few second (2.75), doing a small base damage lvl1 (40) then i want it to do damage over the next 6 seconds dealing damage over 1.5 second intervals so (4) Damage over time intervals.
Abilities\Spells\Items\AIil\AIilTarget.mdl special effect from the game used for damage over time effect. Thanks for any and all help.

Level 20
There's a hard way, and an easy way.

For stun and base damage = use War Stomp with 400 AoE.
To damage over time, just create a Dummy Unit with poison ability, and order to hit the units, and then remove it. For the Over Time damage effect just set that effect to the Buff

Level 6
So u mean create a dummy unit at point of picked unit with a sacling value of like .10 give it time for 1 little attack and remove it? okay that works except envomed spears only has a 1 second interval option which is fine but how would i Remove the dummy units?

Level 20
You can completely remove the model :) Just place ".mdl" in the 'Import' field. Give it 1 attack, and add a long cooldown (3 segs). After you create the dummy at position of picked unit, Unit - Add Expiration Timer that expires in 1 second, then order the unit to attack Picked Unit.

Yeah, poison has 1 seg interval... can't do anything about it.

Level 6
Ah yeah figured that out now. i got the attack timer low but the exp timer very low also so it works i also reduced the attack animation time from the rifleman model which was my problem so now it places buff good but now I need to add a effect to the damage over time ability.. i made a new buff and changed it to that but still nothing? it would just place the normal poison buff even though i removed it from that field.. so i removed the art effect from that regular buff so it didnt visually do anything.. but how could I add an effect or w/e for my new buff/ damage over time.. heh you know what i mean ^^

Level 20
Sometimes when you remove data from abilities, Warcraft calls the default ability data. So, Removing the ability buff means warcraft calls again the common buff. You have to create a buff and change the ability buff, and set the special effect to the buff.

You should add it to
"Art - Target Attachment" <- The model
"Art - Attachment Point 1" <- Here "origin, chest, head" whatever.

Level 6
Sometimes when you remove data from abilities, Warcraft calls the default ability data. So, Removing the ability buff means warcraft calls again the common buff. You have to create a buff and change the ability buff, and set the special effect to the buff.

You should add it to
"Art - Target Attachment" <- The model
"Art - Attachment Point 1" <- Here "origin, chest, head" whatever.

I know.. I erased the default poison buff. I made my own poison buff with its own attatchment at the chest and i put it in as the buff for the ability the poison that the units have! thats the problem :S

Last edited:
Level 20
I can't understand you :p You're telling me that you made your own buff and placed it in the Buff field of your ability...

Since I don't understand, I'll just guess: You have to create a different custom poison ability, an add your buff there, and use that ability.

Level 6
:p Yourself seriously. and a facepalm. asswipe im doing what you said already. THANKS ROFL. thats not what im asking!! I've done what you have told me and it still places the default buff of poison sting even though i created everything you said. and edited the attatchments.. i edited the default since it bugs i took away the effect so in game its just blank while they take damage ( the damage taken over time) I need help adding an effect to it.. for some reason its still not!

Level 20
The reason why I can't understand you is because of your grammar. Anyway, I don't know, I've done it before. Changed 'Poisoned Spear' Missile to be 'Searing Arrow' and changed 'Poison Buff' for 'Fire!'. This buff had a 'Building Fire' effect attached to the target's chest. It worked. That's what I suggest. Can't go further.

Level 6
Ok so the question i ask you is you changed the normal poison buff instead of copy pasting / making a new clone of it with its new effect? because if i change the regular poison buff that it seems to default to and change the effect of that instead of my new made custom (clone of poison buff) I just didnt want to have problems later if i wanted to use the same type of triggers/ abilities. because then it would use the default poison buff from my first spell which i would then change to look like this ability is supposed to. (The default ability i copy pasted was envenomed weapons (nuetral hostile))

Level 20
I have never worked with common WC3 Skills. All my skills are custom modifications. Same with buffs. I feel comfortable doing this way.

Level 6
Ah yeah. I foundout the problem! I had things good except for this ability you need a clone of poison buff stacking AND poison buff non stacking :D. Didnt know that :O

Status
Not open for further replies.