• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pathing Blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does using alot of Pathing Blockers cause lags?
Blizzard used alot of pathing blockers in their TFT Campaign Maps and it doesn't cause any lags but i'm afraid when the Hive's moderators gonna run the map through tester without actually checking the map (because that's what they usually do) and reject the map because of its size or some lags that appears for people who still use wooden computers.

Level 14
Actually yes, pathing blockers are quite slow, however for most maps this is not an issue (even if you spam them). If you really need something faster you can generate a custom pathingmap and import it.

If you are unsure just make a copy of your map and remove all pathing blockers. Then compare the fps to your normal map.

Level 14
Using JNGP you can set custom pathability for certain tiles. For instance I use a rocky tile for cliffs that is set to unwalkable. I also made a bunch of custom pathing blockers, the biggest being 16x16 so I can cover a lot of area without needing a lot of blockers.

Does using alot of Pathing Blockers cause lags?
Blizzard used alot of pathing blockers in their TFT Campaign Maps and it doesn't cause any lags but i'm afraid when the Hive's moderators gonna run the map through tester without actually checking the map (because that's what they usually do) and reject the map because of its size or some lags that appears for people who still use wooden computers.

Pathing blockers aren't normally the source of those issues. No GPU will have issues rendering an invisible plane (or well, I don't quite remember the mesh of pathing blockers, but I assume they are just a plane or a vertex, or nothing). They can lead to other issues, such as if you are trying to move many, many units through a space and the engine has to keep calculating paths, but that is still not really related to pathing blockers themselves.

As for file size, I did the calculations a while back in a different thread. They take up very little data and are compressed, so don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.