• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pathing Blocker File Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm currently making a map. i didn't use warcraft3 cliff... I use raise,plateau and smooth.. By using this mthod, i need to put pathing blocker so unit can't go beyond the boundary.. it need a lot of pathing blocker... if i spam pathing blocker, will it consume a lot of file size? since i can't make it exceed 8mb

Level 9
You can change the Pathing of a blocker to a bigger size.
Fx change:

"Pathing - Pathing Texture" to Custom: PathTextures\12x12Default.tga

Nah, but they will consume a Doodad spot for each.

Currently, I am using this method, but it is not smooth enough.. Too big..

I often made a custom one with dalaran violet citadel as a pathing texture so I don't need to spam pathing blocker.

however I believe put pathing blocker doesn't consume alot of size.

You use tile as pathing blocker?

1 - 4 kb per block (depend the size)

So if I spam 100 it will be around 100-400kb? and if I spam it 1000 it will be 1000-4000kb? o_O wew

Currently, I am using this method, but it is not smooth enough.. Too big..

Use it for large areas. There are more types which are smaller which you can "soften" the edges with.

You use tile as pathing blocker?

He is using the same method as I suggested but with the pathing texture of the Violet Citadel model.

Level 9
Use it for large areas. There are more types which are smaller which you can "soften" the edges with.

He is using the same method as I suggested but with the pathing texture of the Violet Citadel model.

I see.. Will start pathing ^^ thanks for the tips

no, actually dalaran violet citadel is a path on my pathing blocker. (way bigger than the normal one)

perhaps as big as solu9 pathing texture said.

xD my bad...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can also just paint pathing onto the pathing map, like how Cliffs and Doodads do it. Yes there is a file which has your map's initial pathing in it. Obviously World Edit cannot do this because it is kind of silly.

You will need some third party program, if one exists.

Level 9
You can also just paint pathing onto the pathing map, like how Cliffs and Doodads do it. Yes there is a file which has your map's initial pathing in it. Obviously World Edit cannot do this because it is kind of silly.

You will need some third party program, if one exists.

you can set the pathability at a point instead if you prefer.

how do i do that?

Level 23
and that answers your question

Even if you spammed thousands of pathing blockers it will make next to no impact on the map size, because it only changes colors of pixeld on an image, which is already there

I once tested the lag, and no lag was generated from around 1000 oathing blockers on 64x64 map

Level 9
and that answers your question

Even if you spammed thousands of pathing blockers it will make next to no impact on the map size, because it only changes colors of pixeld on an image, which is already there

I once tested the lag, and no lag was generated from around 1000 oathing blockers on 64x64 map

this is what i got... the map size is around 32kb.. so, i guess it is okay to spam.. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Attachments

• Zzz.png
    Zzz.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • PathingBlocker.png
    PathingBlocker.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 102
@makai: Zépir's War3 Map Editor (link) might be able to. I haven't checked. I haven't tested it.

Anyway, about your original question: each pathing blocker takes up 50 bytes (uncompressed). Using simple conversions:
1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes
That means that it takes 21 pathing blockers to take up 1 kilobyte (1050 bytes). More conversions:
1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes = 1048576 bytes
That means that it takes 20972 pathing blockers to take up 1 megabyte.

How many pathing blockers are in the average map? It really varies. Let's take, for example, the Diablo III Warcraft III map. It uses 2324 pathing blockers. That is 116200 bytes, which is 113.477 kilobytes. BUT! Warcraft III uses zlib compression, which results in the doo file being usually ~1/3 the original size. So in the end, it takes up probably ~38 kb for 2324 pathing blockers. And on that note, you can approximate each pathing blocker as taking about 16 to 17 bytes each. In the end, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. :)

In case you're curious, using the pathing map directly would yield 4 bytes per little pathing blocker, and 16 bytes for a larger pathing blocker. It compresses extremely well too, since the wpm tends to be very repetitive. But again, for practical purposes, it'll probably save you only 5-40 kb.

Off-topic: It would be a neat idea for a tool to read the war3map.doo, find all the pathing blocker locations, and then write them directly to the wpm (and then you can delete the pathing blockers afterward). It might not help the file size much, but perhaps it'll improve save/load times (for editing, mostly). ;D Although, I think the editor recomputes the pathing map each time you save, so there may be some complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.