• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Path of Exile is the new king of ARPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One thing that I don't get, how do you see it as p2w?
Unless they did the sensible thing of account binding everything like Diablo III did, there is trade. In order to trade efficiently you needed to buy bigger stash space, more trading slots, etc. Unless you make these purchases, you are effectively at a major disadvantage because you will not be able to trade anywhere near as much as someone who did pay for them. The end result is you have worse gear, progress slower and overall perform worse.

Sure technically if you won the RNG lottery and ended up with the same high end gear you would be on a equal foot as it does not give them a direct combat advantage or anything like that. However this literally is the definition of pay to win, where spending money gives one an advantage (indirect in this case). It would have been like in original Diablo III being able to buy an extra 50 AH slots and 10 stash tabs, you could literally 5x your income per unit time meaning you could move up entire percentiles in gear quality.

This contrasts games like Heroes of the Storm where in the end of the day cosmetics and boosts alter nothing about gameplay. Sure boosts give you more levels, but you can be Masters at level 200 (in the case of alt accounts) or at level 3,000 since levels have nothing to do with rank and hence progress.

That said PoE has been forgotten for so long I do admit I have no clue if the situation has changed.

Level 24
You're right, trading is still a major part of the game. And yes, it creates a disparity between players.

That being said, it goes to a certain extent and I pretty much consider it a non-issue. With budget builds, that pretty much anyone can put together, you can steamroll through the end-game.

To sum it up, you can be on equal footing of power with other players, but you will never be as rich as those basement-dwellers who spent a trillion dollars on stash tabs and exclusively play the game for trading.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That said PoE has been forgotten for so long I do admit I have no clue if the situation has changed.
Path of Exile is a game which takes its income from cosmetics. I played the game and didn't find myself at any disadvantage. I did not hoard items in my stash because there was no need for it. I used the best things I found.
That being written, you have to play the game to have an idea what you're talking about.

Level 22
Never played it myself but I've heard of it a few dozen times from the Grim Dawn players on their forums. Most of it is how they loved the game while some complain about Diablo III (which I don't understand as I never played it).

Level 11
Maybe I have the wrong idea of an action rpg, but shouldn't it require you playing in 3rd person and have your character moving using WASD keys?

(PvP)
(PvP)
(PvE Intrusion or Player Killing)
(PvE)
This game for example, has class & sub-class skills that when used in battle will cause (or not) your character to be protected in different ways: invulnerable frame, superarmor frame, semi-superarmor frame,etc that could react to incomming attacks differently, depending if these were auto-attacks, grabs attack, semi-superarmor breaking attacks, etc.

Thus forcing players (who focused on pvp) to master not only their own frames but their enemy's as well in order to find and opening before attempting to combo them to death. Kept fights interesting and unique everytime... until the game went more into p2p territory :(

Also, screw Diablo Immortal :p

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Forum - Announcements - Path of Exile 3.6.0 will not support Windows XP or Vista - Path of Exile

"[...] With no more support for Windows XP and Vista [starting with March 2019's 3.6.0 update], we will also finally retire support for the DirectX 9 rendering mode [...].

From what we can see, most of the players choosing to use the DirectX 9 version of Path of Exile were not doing so because their operating system didn't support DirectX 11, but because the old renderer allowed you to disable shadows. Path of Exile's game environments are designed around their shadows. Over time, we have relied more and more on shadows as a critical part of the environment, and so the game without shadows has become very different than the experience we intend. Because of this, we made sure that our new renderer had fast shadows. The DirectX 11 version (with shadows) performs much better than the DirectX 9 one did without shadows enabled. [...]"
Path of Exile: a game of shadows?
:wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.